1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista [Vista startup failure: STOP: c0000102 {corrupt file}]

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by tgeni, 2010/07/08.

1. 2010/07/08
    tgeni

tgeni Inactive Thread Starter

Yesterday my laptop(ACER) which was bought with vista already installed wouldn't start up at all. Every time I tried to start it a blue screen popped up and said STOP: c0000102 {corrupt file}
    The file or directory X:\$mft is corrupt and unreadable please run the chkdsk utility. Now I can't run anything or go to any other screen to follow advice I've gotten online. I don't have a vista installation disk since the laptop already had it installed before purchase. Can some one help me figure my next least expensive step to take.

2. 2010/07/08
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Welcome to WindowsBBS;)

Sounds like it should have given you the option to run chkdsk. Did you run it?

Its also referrencing the X drive which is a bit weird. Do you have any flash drives plugged in?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/07/08
    tgeni

tgeni Inactive Thread Starter

won't allow any other screen than the blue one and there are no flash drives plugged in. Problem started out of nowhere.

5. 2010/07/09
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

What is the model of the laptop?

Try using F8 at startup to go to the Advanced Boot Options. Can you run any of the options? (Including Safemode with Command Prompt, you could run CHKDSK /r from there.)

Do you have the User Guide/manual? See if they have "recovery modes" that are not destructive. You need to be able to run CHKDSK.

You can take the hard disk drive out and connect it into a (Vista) desktop computer to run CHKDSK on it, but you will need to check that the HDD has a SATA connection (most likely), not PATA. If you are interested in backup, so that you are not stuck like this again, get a (USB) external enclosure and even another HDD for backing up. Then you will have several options, one of them might be that could you clone the system onto the new HDD, run the Acer Recovery system, then get your data off the old HDD. Check the new HDD manufacturers drive setup utility instructions.

You can try making a boot disk. Do some websearches, you should get a good one free (at least to run CHKDSK),
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VistaPE
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5558482_create-boot-disk-vista.html
    and there is one around that is supposed to be for this situation (try neosmart.net).

Microsoft only talk about X:\$mft in reference to Windows 2000. Would you have any software installed for Win 2K?

Disconnect any hardware, not only drives...printers, scanners, anything.

Matt