1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Vista reinstall on Acer Aspire L100 miniPC

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by MarkT, 2008/04/08.

1. 2008/04/08
    MarkT

MarkT Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having problems reinstalling Vista on my Acer Aspire L100 miniPC. I used the Acer e-Recovery utility, which I understand reinstalls the original configuration from a hidden partition of the hard drive. I already did this reinstall once, a couple of weeks ago, and it worked fine. It takes about 2.5 hours to run the reinstall, as I think it reformats the hard drive. However, I tried doing the reinstall again yesterday, and it went through the whole process but then was not able to load Vista at the first boot up. I tried booting up in Safe Mode, and the last thing it shows is something to do with driver crcdisk.sys.

Does anybody have any idea how I can resolve this issue? I don't understand how this reinstall could work once but then fail to work the second time round.

I also tried to use the DVD which I burned (using the Acer e-Recovery utility) when I first bought the PC a year ago, in order to reinstall the original configuration. I put the DVD in the DVD slot while the PC was running and then tried rebooting it, but for some reason it doesn't seem to boot from the DVD drive. Would I need to change something in the BIOS, in order for the PC to boot from the DVD drive?

Sorry if the above questions are a bit basic. I'm not a PC expert!

2. 2008/04/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

MarkT - Welcome to the Board :)

Can't help you with your first point (not a Vista user), but as regards the second ....
    Maybe - the boot order needs to be DVD-ROM > Hard Drive. If you have a floppy drive - increasingly unlikely these days - DVD-ROM > Floppy > Hard Drive.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/04/09
    MarkT

MarkT Inactive Thread Starter

PeteC,

In the end, I was able to relaunch the Acer e-Recovery utility without going into Windows, by pressing CTRL + F10 at bootup. This time, the Acer e-Recovery utility worked fine, and it re-installed the original configuration.

Apparently, the Acer e-Recovery utility is not always available at bootup. I read somewhere that this option must be enabled in the BIOS. I still don't understand why it didn't work correctly the first time round, but at least it worked for me this time. Perhaps it's more reliable to launch this utility at bootup rather than launching it once Vista is running.....

I also managed to change the boot order in the BIOS, so I should be able to boot from the DVD in the future, if required.

Thanks for your help. I managed to get some great info from this site! :)

This topic can therefore be considered closed.

Regards,
    MarkT