1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Vista Fails to Open to Desktop

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by virginia, 2018/05/13.

1. 2018/05/13
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

Working on a friend's computer - Dell Desktop with Windows Vista Home Basic. On boot up, this message appears:
    When I select "OK", the computer tries to reboot and I get a log on option but when I select it, I get the above message again - a loop. The computer owner doesn't recall any significant event that would have caused any problem (not a sophisticated computer user - and doesn't remember any passwords).

I am able to boot into "Safe" mode and do a few things. However, it appears that Windows Explorer has disappeared. I went to Task Manager and typed in "Explorer.exe" in the Run box and got nothing. I had thoughts of running this by Broni in Malware but I can't make the Farbar app run.

By clicking on "Computer" and then double clicking on the C drive, I was able to get to her documents and copy them to a flash drive so I hope I have them rescued.

Any suggestions on what I can do to kick start this thing?

Update - Just checked and the Security is turned off and I can't turn it back on. Says "The Security Center service can't be started".

Last edited: 2018/05/13
  2. 2018/05/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Robert. It looks like there is major corruption going on with the operating system. Have you tried performing a system restore from Safe Mode?

See if you can Enable the hidden administrator account and login to the administrator account to get access to a working user profile.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/05/13

Evan,

I enabled the hidden administrator account. I can now boot up normally and the Log on screen shows 2 users: "Administrator-Logged on" and "Corene".

If I select Administrator, I get the normal Desktop and it looks like all functionality (Windows Defender and Windows Explorer) and all appears to function normally. However, if I select "Corene", I still get the message
    Is there any way to restore that user? I can get to that user's files, etc. via Windows Explorer.

5. 2018/05/13
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

The user's files are stored under C:\Users\Username. Open Windows Explorer & go to the user which you want to copy. There would be a number of folders - Documents, Downloads etc. Copy the required folders. Create a new user & login in it. Now copy the old data. Once the data has been successfully copied & checked, you can delete the corrupted user.

6. 2018/05/14

Thanks Evan and rsinfo - I created a new user account, transferred the files, and then deleted the corrupt user account - keeping the files associated with it just in case. I then rehid the "Hidden Administrator Account" and boot up is normal and all the files appear to be there.

One additional item - and I may need to open a new thread in another forum. I have a Windows Security Alert icon at bottom right of screen. When I click on that it takes me to the Security Center which is shown as "Off". When I click to turn it on, I get this message
    Any suggestions here or should I start a new thread?

7. 2018/05/14
    Evan Omo

8. 2018/05/14

When I get to the Security Center and right click and select "Properties", I get the following dialog box
    When I click OK, the Properties Box loads and when I select "Automatic (Delayed Start)" I get this dialog box

9. 2018/05/15
    felicityblue

felicityblue Well-Known Member

You may try to use your function keys to force Windows Vista to run a system restore if you've managed to try the system that Windows won't start.

10. 2018/05/15

felicityblue, Thanks for the input. I tried System Restore early on and the only restore point shown is one dated after I started working on the computer.

11. 2018/05/15

My initial problem with a corrupt user identity has been resolved. I think I will mark this one resolved and move the Security System issue over to Broni to see if we had some malware that had frozen the security. Thanks for all the input.

12. 2018/05/15
    Evan Omo

Ok fair enough, thanks for the update. :)