1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Using OneDrive

Discussion in 'Web Applications & Cloud' started by Ludwig, 2019/09/10.

1. 2019/09/10
    Ludwig

Ludwig Well-Known Member Thread Starter

We use OneDrive so we can access the same files from multiple computers. All 3 computers are logged into the same OneDrive account and consequently see all the files ... exactly what we want to happen. Here's my question ...

On a local drive you can mark any file "read-only" in the Windows File Properties dialog. That works fine, and prompts you to Save As because Windows will not let you write over the file.
    If that file is on OneDrive, the local copy can also be marked this way and gives the same result for that computer.
    BUT ... other computers do not see that "read-only" property and happily proceed to update it - AutoSave being one of the causes.

A specific example:
    I am trying to store a word file that is a "template" so I can use it on any of our three computers. However, Office 365 Autosave doesn't help me ... it saves the moment I open (eg) the Word document and make one small change. Thus it corrupts the file. The only way I have found to avoid this is to first copy/paste the document in Explorer then open it. Trouble is I always forget(!) and by the time I paste the first bits into the "template" the OneDrive copy is now not the template version any more.
    I want to protect myself from these accidents, but cannot figure out how I can do it for a OneDrive file.

Does someone know how I can set a "read-only" attribute on a OneDrive file so it behaves just like a file on a local drive would ... by bringing up the "Save As" dialog?
    Obviously I would need to unmark the file whenever I want to make real updates to it, then mark it RO again when finished.

Thanks for any help.

2. 2019/09/10
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Google > office 365 read-only word document

Save as read only
    1. Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save or Save As if you have previously saved the document.
    2. Click Tools.
    3. Click General Options.
    4. Click the Read-only recommended check box.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Save the document.
    Make a document read only

Ludwig likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2019/09/14
    Ludwig

Ludwig Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Should have thought of that .. used that method for a different reason years ago. Plumb forgot. Many thanks!

5. 2019/09/14
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You're welcome.