1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Upgrading to Windows 8.1 can mean loss of Reset/Refresh functionality

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by kosketus, 2014/06/17.

1. 2014/08/18
    kosketus

kosketus Inactive Thread Starter

@Gordon

I follow the argument you're making, and it might perhaps be a persuasive one if viewed in complete isolation from all that has gone before. There was no less of a qualitative difference between the first, purchased, version of Win 98 or of Win XP and the subsequent upgrades to those than between Win 8 and 8.1. Buyers of those OS's believed when buying them that MS would update them, free of further charge, to whatever extent the deficiencies of the first version required (up to the point where the successor-product was launched, requiring a fresh payment). And that's exactly what they did receive in return for their money.

You may consider that in being given access only to some - not to all - of the comparable improvements made to the first. purchased, version of Windows 8 we customers have "got what we paid for ". I disagree.

Would I ever have bought Windows 8 had I known then what I know now (namely, that MS would not be following in all respects its previous practice in regard to future upgrades)? I don't honestly know. My point is that the customer ought to have been made aware by MS that not all of what s/he could on the basis of previous practice reasonably expect to get for the money would this time be forthcoming - before deciding whether to purchase or not.

It has turned out to be what's known as "buying a pig in a poke "

Last edited: 2014/08/18