1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

upgrade to 8.1

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by nolacs22, 2014/01/28.

1. 2014/01/28
    nolacs22

nolacs22 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I would like to know all the pluses for upgrading to Win 8.1?I am receiving the store banner across my screen everyday. My win 8 is working fine. Someone else said "get IE 11,and that IE 10 is unsecure?:eek:

HP pavilion g6-2225nr
    Win 8 x64 V6.2.9 IE 10

2. 2014/01/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Many enhancements in OS software and security upgrades in IE 11. It also addresses other software issues. I have 8.1 and strongly advise that you perform the upgrade!

lj50,
    nolacs22 likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/01/28
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Maybe this an isolated incident, but when my relative upgraded to 8.1, she has had a hard time keeping the same desktop theme. Her desktop wants to resort to a black background. I've tried deleting the black theme, but it keeps returning.

nolacs22 likes this.
  5. 2014/01/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

That's the first time I've heard of that problem.

lj50,
  6. 2014/01/29
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

8.1 has better security and that is reason enough. But it is also more stable, and returns some of the start options found in W7.

IE10 is NOT unsecure. IE11 is just more secure.

Bill,
    nolacs22 likes this.
  7. 2014/02/18
    nolacs22

Thanks all and i am leaving my thread open for a reason (admin)

8. 2014/02/27
    kenk

kenk Well-Known Member

Disappearing Icons in 8.1

After upgrading to 8.1 I have had a slew of problems. Aside from all of my Office apps running slower the most annoying problem has to do with icons. In the Start screen, as I move my mouse over the icons, sometimes, they disappear. If I remember where they were and click on the cleared space, the app starts. Other associated problems involve other icons such as those on my desktop. Sometimes they are just not there. I can remedy it all by going to Task Manager, going into background processes, finding Windows Explorer and after highlighting it clicking on "Restart." Any suggestions on how I can permanently remedy this?

BTY: I really resent Microsoft making me change my computer sign-in password to the one I use on their site. (i.e. they theoretically could log onto my computer!)

kenk,
  9. 2014/02/27
    Bill

No they couldn't - unless you enabled remote access. But regardless, just change it under "PC Settings ". You do not have to use Microsoft credentials.

I have had no performance problems with Office apps or any other programs after upgrading to 8.1. You may just need to let Windows learn your ways (assuming you have not disabled any of the performance enhancement features). This will take a few "sessions ".

As for your icons, I don't know. I do not like, so don't use the new Windows 8 Start Screen but instead use Start8. Start8 brings back the familiar W7 Start Orb and Start Menu and lets you boot directly to the Windows Desktop instead of the new Windows 8 "Start Screen" that so many people don't like. Then W8 works and looks and feels almost exactly like the familiar W7. It cost $5 (after a 30-day trial period), but is well worth it, IMO.

See also Classic Shell. This product also brings back the Start Orb and menu, is free and very popular too. However, it has extra features and goodies that many (including myself) feel is unneeded "fluff ". And perhaps because it is a free product it does not "appear" to have the "polished feel" of Start8. That said, it works very well.

Check this out: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-windows/df1e8d1c-a4c2-4582-b7c2-696d9bbd0eb1

Bill,
    nolacs22 likes this.
  10. 2014/02/27
    kenk

kenk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion re the log-in. I will change it.

I try not to use other apps such as Start8 and Classic Shell to do what W8.1 should do on its own. This really sounds confusing from someone that upgraded without any good reason, I know.

My thought is that whatever is causing the icon problem might be involved with other issues I have sine the upgrade. For instance, when I go to print something (various situations and not all the time) the "Print" screen now jumps to the rear and I have to minimize screens to find it and select "print. "

Since "restarting" Windows Explorer solves so many problems, any idea what could be causing it to stop in the first place? Is there an easy way to "repair" or re install Windows Explorer in 8? Every time I search for Windows Explorer I get posts on Internet Explorer.

Last edited: 2014/02/27
    kenk,
  11. 2014/02/27
    Bill

W8.1 IS doing what it should do on it's own. Which is what the MS developers wanted.

It is just not what most users want - and so the need for programs like Start8.

Remember, this was a design decision - not broken feature.

As I noted earlier, "W8.1 has better security and that is reason enough. But it is also more stable, and returns some of the start options found in W7."

There are lots of reasons Windows Explorer could stop and results in many possible solution, some hard and some easy but most are not obvious.

Note that Windows Explorer is a major component of the OS. Reinstalling Windows Explorer involves reinstalling Windows.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2694911

12. 2014/03/01
    normsuss

normsuss Inactive

Fix for Windows 8.1 problem

I had a similar problem when I installed Windows 8.1. I asked Microsoft for help, and after going up the line, I was connected to level 3 support. It took the 'engineer' 3 days to determine the problem...and fix it. The problem: Drivers needed to be updated. The Fix: I went to each vendors website, and searched for and downloaded the latest drivers for Windows 8.1 ( most have different drivers for 32 and 64 bit systems). Once I got all of them installed, the problems disappeared. Having Microsoft install the drivers from their site didn't work.

nolacs22 likes this.
  13. 2014/03/01
    Bill

The drivers on Microsoft servers are the latest provided by the hardware makers. If MS does not have the latest, it is because the vendors have not provided them. MS cannot keep constant watch on the many 10s of 1000s (millions?) of hardware devices out there. That job is up the vendors.

For this reason, I generally recommend upgrading drivers via the component or computer maker's website. And note if a factory assembled computer, I recommend drivers from the computer maker, not the actual component maker as Dell, HP, Acer, etc. are notorious for modifying drivers.

Same with motherboard drivers with self or custom built computers. Get them from the motherboard maker, and not the makers of the various integrated devices.

Also, I note generally it is advised to run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant before actually attempting to upgrade. It warns of potential problems.

nolacs22 likes this.
  14. 2014/03/01
    normsuss

normsuss Inactive

Only on a mature O.S.

I've found that to be true once the O.S. has been 'out there' for a while. Regarding Win 8 and 8.1: Component manufacturers didn't get the RTM as early as in previous O.S.'s. And...it took the computer manufacturers longer to get the updated drivers. So, in the case of 8.0 and 8.1, I found it necessary to go directly to the component makers for the latest drivers. The Computer manufacturer's site stated that the latest drivers were installed, as did MS. But, I found that wasn't the case. Maybe MS and the computer manufacturer's have caught up by now. Maybe not.

nolacs22 likes this.
  15. 2014/03/01
    nolacs22

I am really worried about upgrading to win 8.1 my win 8 works just fine!

16. 2014/03/01
    normsuss

normsuss Inactive

Clone Windows 8.0 to restore it after upgrade to 8.1

If you clone your Windows 8.0 to an external hard drive, you can restore it if you don't like Windows 8.1. There have been some beneficial tweaks to 8.0, so it's worth the change if you have Windows 8 pro or higher.

17. 2014/03/02
    Bill

There is always a risk something might go wrong with any major upgrade but it is important to note that 8.1 is not just a feature change. It offers significant security updates too.

If you value security (and if you connect to the Internet, you better!), you need to install 8.1.

nolacs22 likes this.
  18. 2014/04/28
    kenk

kenk Well-Known Member

Aside from the now "determined to have been a mistake" I made to upgrade to 8.1 I have always tried to operate from the basis that "if it ain't broken don't try to fix it!" I have followed this thread, upgraded all of my drivers to 64 bit, installed all Windows updates, and tried every other setting, etc change that 8.1 will allow but still have the same problems that only started after I went to 8.1:
    1.Start screen icons will disappear (usually after sitting for a while)
    2.Desktop will stop slide show and go to black background (task bar icons remains)
    3.Screen for printing goes to the rear when selected in apps like Word, Excel, etc.

I Ctl/alt/delete to the task manager and find Windows explorer which is always at "0%," highlight it and select "restart" and the problems disappear.
    I just wish I did not have to do this since it always happens at the time I am most busy on my computer.

19. 2014/04/28
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member