1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Update warning banner

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by alanrf, 2018/05/04.

1. 2018/05/04
    alanrf

alanrf Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Leave 'em alone!
    How can I stop the Your Firefox is critically out of date. An update is required to stay secure warning. I want to say behind the game on v56 so that I can still use a number of excellent add-ons which will no longer be available on the later vaersions.

I have checked the Never check for updates (not recommended) option in the General settings but this does not suppress the regular banner warning.

2. 2018/05/12
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    Built. Broke. Fixed.
    For obvious reasons, I recommend you update Firefox and keep it updated. Staying secure is more important than maintaining support for legacy, discontinued add-ons since a secure browser is often our front-line defense against malware.

That said, if you choose to ignore the obvious reasons, see the "Opting out" section of this support article.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/05/12
    alanrf

Computer Experience:
    Leave 'em alone!
    Bill, thanks for the info.

Thanks also for your cautionary note, much appreciated. I am planning to update in the near future when I have had time to re-assess my add-ons and any possible update or replacements.

I try walk a fine line between risk and usability.

5. 2018/05/19 at 02:39
    felicityblue

felicityblue Well-Known Member

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Well, I don't update Firefox too. Thanks for the reminder.

6. 2018/05/19 at 09:31
    Bill

Computer Experience:
    Built. Broke. Fixed.
    Note there are several update options for FF. Of course they recommend "Automatically install updates". There is also "Check for updates but let you choose to install them" and "Never check for updates (not recommended)". I have mine set to Never but only because FF is not my default or primary browser. I just remember to check and install when I do fire it up.

Bill,
  7. 2018/05/19 at 19:53
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    Updating FF to the latest is surely to have the latest security version available? Quantum 60.0.1 is what I am running on this comp and I have no problems.
    I tend to only use Addons if I need it. FF Quantum is slightly faster than Chrome from a report in How to Geeks.

8. 2018/05/20 at 06:19
    alanrf

Computer Experience:
    Leave 'em alone!
    I understand the points made re security, but, as I posted earlier, as I use a number of add-ons that will not, currently at least, work in Firefox 57+ then I have to make a balance between usability and security.

In terms of speed, then, tbh, that often seems to be more dependent on the targeted site than the browser, at least from my point of view.

As a matter of interest, I have been trying Pale Moon which is an early, well established, fork of Firefox and it seems very fast, comparing site for site with Firefox. It is updated, security-wise and code-wise, regularly and is currently on v27.9.2 More like the old days without the latest unused bells and whistles of Firefox 57+

9. 2018/05/20 at 10:22
    Bill

Computer Experience:
    Built. Broke. Fixed.
    I've been using Pale Moon as my primary/default browser for a few years now. It is not perfect, but I like it. My preferred browser was IE. While I have no proof, I kept getting the feeling Microsoft was slowly poisoning/breaking IE to push users to Edge. But IMO, Edge still is not mature enough (but its getting there).
    Is it really "usability"? Or just an unwillingness to give up a favorite add-on? It would seem to be the latter if you find Pale Moon is meeting your needs.

Bill,
  10. 2018/05/23 at 12:58
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Computer Experience:
    e-Machine mechanic
    I'd ditch Firefox Quantum, and go with either Pale Moon or Waterfox.

Just my 2 cents worth.

However, I do install updates, but I let the browser (Waterfox) alert me first.