1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Unable to uninstall QuickTime to upgrade iTunes.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Snowbird, 2006/12/25.

1. 2007/01/02
    Snowbird

Snowbird Inactive Thread Starter

Paul49

Maybe Mike can clarify this, but I seemed to have the most success with the process starting at post #68. Additionally I followed Mike's suggestions at post #72. You can start there and see what happens. I don't know if any of the steps I took prior to that helped or not as it was a long involved process. Maybe Mike or Bill have more insight into that.

Good Luck!

2. 2007/01/02
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Nice Job Snowbird - thats what this board is supposed to be all about and you had two of the best helping you get there. I'd also concur that you deserve a lot of credit for sticking with it. Happy New Year.

;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/01/02
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Great thread!

Good to see Mike again too. :)

5. 2007/01/03
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Thanks James
    Best wishes to you and yours!

Paul49

Did you reread the posts a snowbird suggested. Let us know and we will try to guide you.

Mike

Morning Rock

6. 2007/01/03
    Paul49

Paul49 Inactive

Re: Solution Steps

Thanks, Snowbird and Mike, I will give those steps a shot and get back to you. It will not be for awhile, however, as my daughter's machine is in her new apartment. At some point later this week I will get over to her place and I will report back on what happens.

I appreciate the help.

Paul

7. 2007/01/03
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

OK Man

You might want to print this thead and carry it with you.

Remember the primise of this thread is this:

Problem: curuption of the installation or program will not allow an update to a newer version.

The idea is: to totally get rid of all references to quicktime on the disk and in the registry so we can go back clean with the new Quicktime

Remove quicktime via Add/Remove

Clean the disk by search/find quickt*.*

Clean the registry of quicktime

Clean the quicktime installer

All the steps are in this thread.

Mike

8. 2007/01/03
    Paul49

Paul49 Inactive

Got the "big picture" and will give it a try.

9. 2007/01/18
    Paul49

Paul49 Inactive

Success!!

It took me two weeks to get a chance to try and fix this, but when I did try today the solution steps in post #68 worked like a charm. The only thing I didn't do - like Snowbird - was create a restore point. I tried, but got an error message, so I kept on going.

Thank you, thank you!

Paul

10. 2007/01/27
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

11. 2007/02/09
    DrThorsen

DrThorsen Inactive

Thanks

I was having same problems described. I had recently migrated hard drives and suspect perhaps this QT.msi file was not copied or was corrupted in the transfer. Regardless I followed the instructions in #68 and was able to install QT and iTunes without issue. Thanks to those involved for diligence in working on the problem and posting trials, errors and successes. There was zero support offered on either Apple or Microsoft sites for this issue. Now enjoying my new iPod.....Thanks all.

12. 2007/02/09
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Thanks DrThorsen!

It's good to hear that this thread served someone well. There were time that it seemed to degraded to a urinating contest and it appears that both parties were drowned in the process since I see no current thread replies from either. I hope they get over it and return since both have plenty to offer.

All the best.

13. 2007/02/12
    smelchionda

smelchionda Inactive

Unable to upgrade Itunes

Folks,
    I've been following this conversation becuase I've experienced the same problem. I've gotten to the point where I think that I've uninstalled all instances of Itunes and Quick Time. In addition I've deleted all instances of the "Apple Computer" Folders. I've also gone into the registry and cleaned out all instances of Itunes and Quicktime. Now when I search the folders and the registry I dont come up with any instances of Quicktime or Itunes, or even the Apple Computer Folder, however when I try to install Quick Time it still says that it can uninstall an older version of Quicktime. Any ideas? A little background, I'm Running XP home addition and I've got my application on the D Drive where as the operating system is by itself on the C Drive. All of my data is on the E Drive.

14. 2007/02/12
    smelchionda

smelchionda Inactive

Installing older versions

I went to that site with the older version of Quicktime and successfull installed versions 6.5.0, 6.5.1 and 6.5.2. When I try to install 7.02.38 I get an error saying that a Cab File Data1.cab is corrupt and cannot be used for the installation. If I try to skip that version of Quicktime and go to version 7.0.3 I get the original error message that an older version of Itunes cannot be removed. Hopefully this sheds some light on which version of Quicktime may be causing my problem and what hidden files may still be on my system?

15. 2007/03/05
    smelchionda

smelchionda Inactive

Unable to update QuickTime

I'm hoping someone is still watching this thread. I've found the conversation on this thread to be very informative,, however it still hasnt solved my problem. Does anyone have any other ideas? I think that the problem may be related to how the files in the registry are identified for the particular version of QuickTime that I have.