1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Unable to uninstall QuickTime to upgrade iTunes.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Snowbird, 2006/12/25.

1. 2007/01/01
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

I am sorry. My original instructions wanted you to look here with Windows Explorer and not regedit:

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\

Do you see a folder named {929408E6-D265-4174-805F-81D1D914E2A4}

Do you see a file named: a489bd3.msi ?

The odd looking folder I want to know if you have is the CLSID for QuickTime 7.4, it is a unique way of identifying the application.

(I actually think we are very close to resolving this.)

2. 2007/01/01
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

OK Snowbird

Stay with Bill untill or if my procedures are needed. Then run them under your own account and in normal mode.

Mike

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/01/01
    Snowbird

Snowbird Inactive Thread Starter

Yes Bill, I did look with Windows Explorer and found the first file {929408E...etc} but not the second (a489bd3.msi). What I was referring to with the regedit search is the second part of your post requesting a search using regedit. That is where I came up with nothing. Sorry I wasn't too clear.

5. 2007/01/01
    Snowbird

Mike, I tried regseeker from my account in normal mode. Again, I found lots of references to QuickTime but was unable to delete them.

6. 2007/01/01
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Thank you, I really wanted to be clear about what was there, and not there.

Two steps:

1. Using Windows Explorer

Delete this folder:
    C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{929408E6-D265-4174-805F-81D1D914E2A4}

Check once more to be sure that this file does not exist:
    C:\Windows\Installer\a489bd3.msi

I really want it deleted if it exists.

Delete this folder:
    C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{929408E6-D265-4174-805F-81D1D914E2A4}

Rename this folder:
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime to C:\Program Files\QuickTime.bak

Do a Start, Search for this folder. (It likely does not exist, but check):
    {6E804929562D471408F5181D9D412E4A}
    If found, delete all instances.

Do a Start, Search for this folder. (It is likely gone, but check):
    {929408E6D2654174805F81D1D914E2A4}
    If found, delete all instances.

2. Start Regedit.

Highlight 'My Computer' at the very top.
    Edit, Find

Search first for:
    6E804929562D471408F5181D9D412E4A
    Delete any entry found.

Search next for:
    929408E6D2654174805F81D1D914E2A4
    Delete any entry found.

Search next for:
    929408E6-D265-4174-805F-81D1D914E2A4
    Delete any entry found.

Search last for:
    6E804929-562D-4714-08F5-181D9D412E4A
    Delete any entry found.

Reboot.

Try the iTunes, not QuickTime, installer now. I need to know if I have to remove any stubs from iTunes.

Warning -- because of XMAS gift cards it is nearly imossible to connect today to the iTunes site. The servers at Apple are completely swamped. Be patient. Apple is begging people who can wait, to wait.

Note: You can keep this Window open, and copy/paste the long CLSIDs to Explorer or Regedit in another Window. Just copy the text, minimize this window, and paste into Explorer or Regedit. There is no reason to type it.

Last edited: 2007/01/01
  7. 2007/01/01
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

No, no snowbird you should not be deleting them anyway untill you complete Bill's process.

They conflict each other.

Finish with Bill first. His process can work!

When you do my process we are totally removing all traces of Quicktime. Cleaning the slate so to speak. So that we can go back clean with Quicktime.

Since Bill is trying to fix the installer you can not do his and my process at the same time.

So stay with Bill and if you hit a wall we will go after it. But mine and Bill's procedures cannot be run at the same time.

When and if we get to my process the first thing we need to deal with is the problem you are having deleting the items. Which is some kind of Permissions issue. So for now I am glad you can't delete them

Mike

8. 2007/01/01
    Snowbird

Bill, I followed all of your steps. When I tried to download iTunes (it comes with QuickTime, I can't find a way around that) I got the exact same error message as before... "The older version of QuickTime cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group."

Sigh.

9. 2007/01/02
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

There is still an .msi installer stub file somewhere.

1. Download and run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301

Remove anything that says Apple, iTunes, or Quicktimes

2. With Windows Explorer, delete the folders:
    C:\Program Files\Quicktime
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\

Then Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup
    Check to enable all Temporary file locations. Click the options button to see more choices.
    Do the cleanup.

3. Right click on your Recycle bin and empty it.

4. Start, Search, and search for quicktime
    Delete all references found.

5. Start, Run, regedit
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.
    Right click on this entry and delete.

Highlight My Computer at the top of the left panel.

Edit, Find and search for quicktime
    Remove any references found.

6. Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.
    Create a manual restore point.

7. Download and install only Quicktime (link was given earlier)
    Reboot.

8. Install iTunes.

Last edited: 2007/01/02
  10. 2007/01/02
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Ahh Hmm! :) :D

Mike

11. 2007/01/02
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Bill:

Just for my understanding (call me digitally deprived), isn't this what mflynn was referencing earlier in the thread?

Also, now that you are suggesting removing Apple, iTunes, & Quicktime, does the deletion of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apple Computer, Inc. in the registry clean up all references or would a tool like RegSeeker now have any useful application?

This is a most interesting thread because of the exchange of ideas and I'm just trying to follow your methodology, hoping some of it rubs off.

Thanks for any helpful clarification.

;)

12. 2007/01/02
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Regseeker was tried by the user and failed to clean anything.

You have three issues:

. an Installshield package scripting error -- the original complaint
    . multiple failed installations of multiple versions of QuickTime anad iTunes
    . and a .msi installer issue

Issue #1 I resolved. See the user post at point #33
    Issue #2 I have semi-resolved. I removed the failed instaled version reported by the user of Quicktime 7.04 and allowed an install of Quicktime
    Issue #3 I address in my last post.

At no time has mflyn suggested using the Windows Installer cleaner, nor suggested removing the complete Apple repository in the registry.

Since I have removed with my earlier steps the packager errors of Installshield, it is clear that an installer cleanup is suggested.

Hence the advice to use the Windows Installer Cleanup utility.

I cannot in good conscience ever recommend a general purpose "cleanup" utility, much less using four of them in sequence as myflynn believes in. The Dial-a-fix is not on point, but go ahead and run that too. Make the HijackThis changes suggested, even though they are irrelevent.

I do not wish to hear about mflynn's fascination with urine again, I have heard about it twice this week which is twice too many times. So rather than hear it a third time, I defer the chair to him.

I am gone from this thread.

13. 2007/01/02
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hee hee!

You crack me upp!:D

No I didn't suggest installer cleanup as I didn't get that far before deferring it to you.

That would have come after deleting the Quicktime files and cleaning the registry.

And regseeker seems to be prevented by either a permissions issue or he is not doing it correctly.

Any ways Snowbird follow bill's instructions as above except between step 5 and 6 do this.

RegSeeker (let us try it this way and if we still canot detete anything then that will confirm another issue).

Click the entry Clean The Registry, then chose Autoclean

when that finishes then run, Clean Registy again but this time clik the OK.

select and delete all in both runs.

Mike

14. 2007/01/02
    Snowbird

Ok, I got to step 4 and ran into some trouble. I did a search for QuickTime and got back lots of results, some of which are the same folders that I thought I deleted in step 2 and which are no longer showing up when I search in Windows Explorer. When I tried to delete them from the search location I get the message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file or disk." I have had this message previously when trying to delete QuickTime files so it is not a new problem.

15. 2007/01/02
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Ok Snowbird all is well

What happened is that you did delete the primary folder that held some of the files first, and and now it is trying to delete files that were in the folders that are no longer there.

Do an entirely new search (there should be less files if any at all) and delete each item one at a time.

I will be online waiting and will work with you as this has taken way too long, and you have been very patient.

You have done all that we have asked. You have done an excellent job under the circumstances.

mike

16. 2007/01/02
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Bill:

Sure didn't expect that kind of a response but maybe it speaks volumes. I was just trying to understand this problem as you originally took a pretty firm position that appeared to have changed 180°. Sorry for the questions.

:rolleyes:

17. 2007/01/02
    Snowbird

Thanks Mike. I get the same error message weather I'm attempting to delete all at once or trying one at a time, and I get it with each entry that I try to delete on it's own. I got 64 entries returned on my last search. Some of the entries are in paths to programs that I really don't want to mess up like Adobe and Kodak EasyShare so I left them out of my attempts to delete.

18. 2007/01/02
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Ok!

Skip the deletion and continue to the next step.

mike

19. 2007/01/02
    Snowbird

Yes!

I have successfully downloaded QuickTime and iTunes!

I did follow all of the steps in Bill's post as well as to run AutoClean and Clean Registry as Mike suggested. When I ran regedit I also found a file named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apple that contained folders for QuickTime. Which I deleted in addition to the one named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apple Computer, Inc which Bill was referring to.

I did not create a manual restore point. I hope that won't be an issue later on!

I want to say thank you very much to Mike and Bill for working so hard to help solve my problem. I can tell you are both very knowlegable and I appreciate your perseverence and patience!

20. 2007/01/02
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Bingo

I knew it would find the Apple (had to in fact).

I am so happy for you. I am relievied to be finished with this one.

You rate number one with me for following instructions and having patience.

Give your self some credit, you did a fantastic job.

Mike

21. 2007/01/02
    Paul49

Paul49 Inactive

Solution Starts Where?

I have been following this exchange this afternoon becuase I just discovered the same problem on my daughter's PC. Snowbird, can you tell me which of the steps/posts I should focus on that would help straighten out this problem? I did read them all, but there were a lot of suggestions from Bill & Mike, but in the end, which worked?

Glad you got it straightened out.