1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Unable to logon to windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by monica, 2008/12/11.

1. 2008/12/11
    monica

monica Inactive Thread Starter

Unable to logon to windows.Administrator account also has been disabled.Is it any virus attack or due to windows patches?Pls provide a soln at the earliest-Monica Alex[FONT= "Trebuchet MS"][/FONT]

2. 2008/12/11
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Monica,

I need to know if you are logged into windows or sitting at a logon prompt that will not let you logon. In other words, are all accounts disabled due to logon or just the Administrator account?

If you are in windows using your own user account, does it have admin priviliages? Also do you have any trouble using taskmanager, control panel, administrator tools or regedit? This would be considered a sign that you are infected with virus/malware.

If using home version xp, an F8 bootup should automatically logon as administrator.

-----------------------------
    I am going to include the information below, in case I'm not online when you are. Some of it I had as a text file in my documents. Obviously if you are logged into windows already and have an account with admin rights you can use the " "administrator tools" without jumping through all the hoops of an F8 bootup, and the command prompt steps. There may be a couple of easier ways of doing some of these things but this is what I have on hand. Laziness on my part may be a factor also.....:) That being said here ya' go.....

Is this the scenario?
    if the admin account has been disabled
    *you will come to the windows login screen without a login name.
    *You can press ctrl+alt+delete twice to pull-up a log-in screen
    *when you type in “administrator” and enter your password (if you have one, if blank password used do not enter a password, leave it blank) it will say “Your account has been disabled. Please contact your systems administrator.”
    *Obviously you can’t go much further with this.

This fix may work:
    *re-start your machine and keep hitting F8 and enter "safe mode with command prompt ".
    *You should be able to hit ctrl+alt+delete twice to pull up a log-in screen.
    *type "Administrator" and whatever password you may have set or blank password, if no password was set for account. (try both)
    *That should take you to a command prompt “C:\ documents and settings/administrator.”
    *If so^, simply type “control” at the prompt and press enter. This will open the "control panel ".
    *This should bring up a message that allows you to enter Windows recovery function, and it will also open the control panel.
    *In the control panel, Click on "Administrative Tools" and then "Local Security Policies" to bring up the settings.
    *On the left side bar you can select "Local Policies" and then "Security Options "
    *On the right is a setting that allows you enable or disable accounts, among other policy settings. It is only the setting for administrator account that should be focused upon. Leave all others alone. Be careful and use caution here. You should "Enable" the Administrator Account.

OR see this archived post:
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/59957-accidentally-deleted-disabled-admin-account.html

On the flip side.....If you suspect that your infected.....
    Please read http://www.WindowsBBS.com/malware-virus-removal/announcements.html and post the logs requested in the malware forum - you may need to split these over 2 posts.

Last edited: 2008/12/11

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/12/12
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Monica,

I hope you don't mind my updating this post with your email to me. We try to encourage, fixing problems in the public forum and not by private emails. Particularly when it is already an open and ongoing post.

So here's the update as quoted by Monica via pmail.............

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi once again Monica,

This is known as a "logon loop ".

One possible cause and fix is this if you have the original xp install disk:
    logon loop
    http://iamyouritguy.com/?p=10

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If these computers are networked there may be an easier solution, but there are members better qualified to guide you with the steps you need to use to fix this issue. Anyone reading this wishing to step in please do so.

I' seem to have picked up a touch of the flu. Nyquil as good as it is for such, tends to leave me starring at the flash ads for 10-15 minutes at a time before I manage to remember I suppose to be something. Heaven help me should I find an inner active one that allows my mouse to play...:)

Last edited: 2008/12/12
  5. 2008/12/13
    monica

monica Inactive Thread Starter

Unable to Logon to Windows xp

Hi Goddez......I went through the link and.....Let me try the same and get back...Thanks for the info.......Meanwhile get rid of the flu touch soon........:)