1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Unable to complete dailup to ISP

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by Big D, 2005/04/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/04/26
    Big D

Big D Inactive Thread Starter

Get error 50 message "The request is not supported" after "all devices connected" when trying to connect to dial up ISP. Running XP Home SP2.

Have checked user name and password as per some FAQ's, but no change. Did system restore to time when all was well but no relief. ISP is bamboozled!

Help appreciated.

2. 2005/04/26
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Need more information.

- had you done any spyware removal just before things broke?
    - what spyware blockers/cleaners are you using and is it/are they up to date?
    - in event viewer (start=>run=>eventvrw.msc) there should be error or warning entries with more detail about the failure. Please post the contents. Easiest is to open an event, click on the icon below the up/down arrows to send a text copy to your clipboard, and paste the contents here.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/04/27
    Big D

No spyware removal.

Text of event failure for today's date:
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Rasman
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 20027
    Date: 4/27/2005
    Time: 4:48:57 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: VAIO
    Description:
    Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because NDISWAN could not be opened.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 02 00 00 00 ....

5. 2005/04/27
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Thanks Big D - and ouch!! I was really hoping for an error that would point to a problem with an easy fix. I can suggest a few general 'fix it' things that may fix you up and none of them will cause any further problems. But just to let you know, about half the folks I read about with this issue wind up having to reinstall their OS. There is something causing it in about half the cases that no one appears to have figured out yet.

Here are some suggestions in an 'easy and quick to harder and slower' order. Try one, check to see if it worked and if not, go to the next one.
    • Click on start, on run, key in sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc), and click OK. If the system file checker spots either a missing or damaged ndiswan.sys file, it will replace it with a good version.
    • Click on start, on run, key in cmd and click OK. When the cmd window opens, key in chkdsk /r (note the space after chkdsk) and press the enter key. Answer Yes to doing the checkdisk at next boot then reboot. This one may take a while to complete.
    • Download a copy of LSPFix and run it on the problem PC. Small file so you can put it on a floppy. I know you said you hadn't fixed any spyware recently so this isn't a likely fix but possible and harmless.
    • Right-click My Network Places (or whatever it's labeled on your PC), left-click properties, and delete your dial-up adapter(s).
      - Close My Network Places.
      - Delete the modem from Device Manager.
      - Shut down and physically remove the modem. Then restart.
      - Click on start, on run, key in netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt and OK.
      - reinstall your modem and set up dial-up networking again.
    If none of this helps, we can either try digging around for some sort of malware that is causing the issue or you can back up your personal files, format your system partition, and reload. I wouldn't even suggest a repair install.

I'm hoping that one of the above works. Maybe a 40-50% chance. I'm hoping that someone who knows the cause and the fix will post both here for us. Maybe 5% chance.

Newt,
  6. 2005/04/28
    Big D

Thanks for your interest, Newt!!

I did the scannow without a positive result.

Ran Checkdisk without a positive result except that the Error Message is now "Error 6 - The handle is invalid "

Ran LSPfix which resulted in zero's across the board. No change in dialup.
    Error mesage is still "Error 6 ".

Have not done that last item "removal and re-install modem" as the modem is internal to the laptop and I really don't want to go rooting around inside that little space - a desktop no problem! Any suggestions? Otherwise I will go ahead and format my drive and add operating system.

Thanks Dave

7. 2005/04/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Big D--Strictly guessing here. According to this thread
    http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Win2000/microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing/2004-05/0386.html
    a mismatch between versions of ndiswan.dll and rasman.dll can cause the problem. I presume the files in question are those in Windows\System32\DLLCache. Newt was hoping sfc /scannow would correct that. Check out the versions in DLLCache. Are they the same version? If they are different, what you hope to achieve is that both have the later version number. Since you will find several versions of each of these files in other places on the hard drive, like Drivers and I386 folders, perhaps you can find a matching later version. Before copying and pasting file versions, however, I suggest a System Restore point be created.
    Another site had this info
    RAS EVENT ID: 20027
    SYMBOL NAME : RASLOG_EXCEPT_OSRESNOTAV
    MESSAGE TEXT: The user connected to port %1 has been disconnected because
    there are no operating system resources available.
    EXPLANATION :
    USER ACTION : Free up some memory on the server by optimizing memory
    allocations to other resources, or by stopping some
    non-essential services, or by installing additional memory on
    the server
    Greek to me, but perhaps of help to you.
    Also I see you use WinXP whereas the above information is for Win2000 Server.

Last edited: 2005/04/28
  8. 2005/04/28
    Big D

Thanks for Jumping in, Welshjim.

The serial numbers for ndiswan.sys and rasman.dll are the same - 5.1.2600.2180.

The attempt to run ndiswan.dll failed as the "The specific module could not be found. "

So I guess the question is the ndiswan file a .sys file or a .dll file?

Thanks again

9. 2005/04/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Big D--My bad. ndiswan is a .sys, so registering it won't help. I have deleted that from my post, so as not to confuse other.

10. 2005/04/28
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Laptop with integrated modem - I agree that physical removal is not a good idea. Try just removing it from device manager, skipping the physical removal part, and doing the remainder.

Interesting that the chkdsk changed your error message. Please post a copy of the new one.

Newt,
  11. 2005/04/29
    Big D

The error message is " Error 6 - The handle is invalid"

Will get back to you when I get the modem thing done.

Done the modem thing with out a positive result. Still get "error 6" message.

Tried opening the connections indirectly thru mail program and error message is different. "Connected to remote computer. Unable to establish a connection ".

Password and user name same as I use to connect with my desktop.

Guess it will be a recovery operation. :mad:

Thanks

Last edited: 2005/04/29
  12. 2005/05/18
    SHIFTER

SHIFTER Inactive

Hi Big D,
    I have been following your thread with Newt ( and others ), I found you via a search on Google. I have exactly the same problem with my dial-up. I'm also using XP pro SP2. I don't know what caused it, although, the PC froze up when my son was transferring one of his CD's onto his Zen mp3. I used task manager to close the mp3 program, and everything seemed OK at the time. Next boot-up there was no dial-up. I've been trying to follow Newt's advice, but no success. Have you made any progress?. the last reply I read was 29th April.
    I'm not sure if the events co-incided, but I also lost the use of my audio around the same time, everything was there and reported working OK, but I kept getting errors that the drivers were loaded OK but were not started. I found a forum with others getting the same errors and the cure was to re-instate the " Plug and Play software enumerator ". Some how it had been removed from the System Devices list. Once that was replaced the audio worked again. Could there be something similar happening with the dial-up ?
    Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks
    SHIFTER

13. 2005/05/18
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

14. 2005/05/20
    SHIFTER

SHIFTER Inactive

Hi Welshjim,

You're right, I have done a bit of searching, and it seems like this problem has been around for several years, and pre-XP. Since my last post I thought I had found a clue in the Windows Services where the ROUTING and REMOTE ACCESS service had been disabled, apparently by default in SP2. I changed it to Automatic but it made no difference, I still get the same errors and the event list still shows the same " Remote Access Connection Failed to start because NDISWAN could not be opened" error 20027.
    Still looking !!!

SHIFTER

15. 2005/06/01
    SHIFTER

SHIFTER Inactive

Success at last !!

I have solved my problem and maybe it will be relavent to other folks too.

In my first post I metioned the problem of the audio not working, which was fixed by reloading an enumerator service, well, while I was doing that, I remembered disabling the Network features etc (which were normally hidden), in the Device Manager because I don't have a network (the machine is standalone), and I thought it would simplify things.
    The dial-up problem always pointed to a rasman error and searches of forums sometimes quoted this kind of problem with networked machines and SP2, so I reckoned there was nothing to loose by enabling all the Network Services again. After I had done that and rebooted there was an extra entry under the Network heading in Device Manager called "RAS Async Adaptor" which doesn't have the option of enable/disable like the others, it is install/uninstall. I can switch the error on and off by removing or replacing these Network features. I don't have a network card installed but there is a network facility on the motherboard.
    Maybe I realise now why these Network features are normally hidden in Device Manager !!!!!!
    Maybe this is something else for others with the rasman problem to try.

Cheers

SHIFTER

16. 2005/06/01
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

SHIFTER--Thanks so much for posting the solution so we all can learn!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.