1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Trying to import mail from backup] to Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by bassaG, 2009/03/30.

1. 2009/03/30
    bassaG

bassaG Inactive Thread Starter

Have been trying to import mail from Maxtor backup that was attached to crashed PC.Followed instructions outlined in http://home.att.net/-cherokee67/migrateNS4.html.Mail files now list in left hand column of Thunderbird email screen. Cannot open contents of in or sent boxes. Win explorer shows folders under C;\docs settings\xxxxx\xx\xx\profile name u2xqoeoc.default.I am puzzled as to where this profile came from

Grateful for any advice on how to solve my problem

2. 2009/03/30
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I have a Maxtor external drive to do my backups. Your question cannot be understood as you give no info. of which program was backed up. Was it anoother TB? Did you back up the Profiles? They should be in this path: F:\Maxtor backup\YOUR-ID (1)\C\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/03/30
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Welcome to the Form, bassaG!

bassaG,

I'm assuming that your HD crashed, and you are restoring your programs from the external (Maxtor) HDD. If this is the case, then when you installed Thunderbird, a new Profile was created. That would account for the Profile you referenced: C;\docs settings\xxxxx\xx\xx\profile name u2xqoeoc.default

With Thunderbird closed, you can copy the entire Thunderbird folder from the Maxtor HD Application data folder, and replace the existing Thunderbird folder in the Application data folder on the PC.

Also copy the entire Thunderbird folder from the Maxtor HD, located in C:\Program Files, and replace the existing Thunderbird folder in C:\Program Files, on the PC. This should restore your Thunderbird Mail.

5. 2009/04/01
    bassaG

bassaG Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.Regret my post was unclear. The background to my problem is as follows. My PC crashed due to faulty capacitors on mother board.I had been making complete backups of the HD using the Maxtor external drive. My aim was to transfer my emails to another PC on which I had installed Thunderbird. On the crashed PC I had first used Netscape and then upgraded to Mozilla suite.When examining the Maxtor I can find mail folders listed under the Netscape folder. I was able to transfer the contents to Thunderbird.The in and out folders are listed and show content but I cannot open any of the emails.The more important problem is that I cannot locate any mail folders under Mozilla which holds my current current mail. I have searched the Documents and settings folder with no luck.The maxtor holds several historical backups and these show no results.

regards
    bassaG

6. 2009/04/02
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

In my Maxtor, I see this path: F:\Maxtor backup\maxtor profile\C\Documents and Settings\myname\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxx.TB2.0
    The xxxxxx.TB2.0 folder is similar to the old .slt folder. It contains the Mail folder with all the accounts. After copying and pasting the profile folder, the .msf files of the account should be deleted, first. I never had occasion to use my backup, nor had a total breakdown, so I am not sure if it is necessary to create a profile first, and then replace its basic info with the old profile folder.
    The History backups have no relation to what you are trying to do.