1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5305: Where should I get graphics drivers from?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by alfun, 2013/02/26.

1. 2013/02/26
    alfun

alfun Inactive Thread Starter

With any kind of hardware drivers or graphics card drivers I have always been recommended to download them from the manufacturer website instead of through Windows Update. With Nvidia graphics card drivers on my desktop PC I used to download the drivers from nvidia.com. So with ATi or is it AMD now, I guess I would download the graphics card driver from amd.com?

Since I have a laptop with AMD graphics I am not sure where to download the graphics driver from, this is my first laptop and my first with AMD. Do I download it through the AMD website, Toshiba website, or through Windows Update?

On the AMD website my graphics card is not listed but there is an "AMD Driver Autodetect" program I can download.

On the Toshiba website there is an "AMD Display Driver" file but it is 209MB.

This is listed under "Optional" updates in Windows Update. Is this update for my graphics card?
    Advanced Micro Devices Inc, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - AMD Radeon HD 6300 series Graphics 42.5MB, I'm not sure what WDDM is but with the Nvidia graphics card drivers the file name used to end with WHQL is this similar?

How do I edit my Thread Title? "sould" should be spelled "should ".

2. 2013/02/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi alfun, you should be able to Edit your Post when this box displays. Edit is usually shown in the lower right area and remember to Save your Edit.
    You will also be able add the Reason for your Edit.

I would go to Manufacturers site as first option. They may re-direct you to the Graphics drivers site.
    It does pay to use their Auto-Detect software, as this will identify your card correctly. Cheers Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/02/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Thats about par for the course - my nVidia drivers carry a similar payload :)