1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Thunderbird 45 Omits Spaces Between Words

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by JAK, 2016/05/16.

1. 2016/05/16
    JAK

JAK Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've noticed this before and didn't know what was going on. I check an email to send it and everything looks fine. I send it and they reply, and I see in my old email and in my sent folder that TB has run several words together without a space. Maybe 3-4 places in a 3-4 paragraph email. ?? I set a font to say Arial and then when I start typing I see it changes to something else, stating Arial is not supported. That affect it?

JAK,
  2. 2016/05/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

No problems here. Using TB 45.1.0 and Sent mails remain as sent. Chose Font test using Lucida handwriting and it worked perfectly. Have you done a Refesh of TB or tried a Download of a new copy? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/05/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Set your font options in Thunderbird:

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      191.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      183.2 KB
      Views:
  5. 2016/05/17
    JAK

Hey thanks. I did it all except when I went to set the Advanced Monospace to monospace there wasn't any option of it....dozens of others but that wasn't listed at the top or alphabetically.

JAK,
  6. 2016/05/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Monospace is an open font used on most Linux distributions, on Windows you should use Courier.

7. 2016/05/18
    JAK

Ok, all is set, including changing to the courier. Now I open a new email blank to send and it shows Verdana. I start typing and it switches right away to "sans-serif, Verdana ".
    I then copied the first paragraph of my post up above and pasted it into a blank email 4 times so there's 4 paragraphs all the same. The first one shows that it's "sans-serif, Open Sans (not installed)" and then all of the other three changed font to "Variable Width ". What gives with these?

JAK,
  8. 2016/05/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Please note that the fonts shown in my screenshots above are MY preferences. You should be able to use any font setting you like.

That said, when pasting into Thunderbird using the right-click mouse button you should have the option to Paste or Paste as plain text. Paste will paste the exact font that was copied from a Web page or any other program using rich text. Paste as plain text will paste the default plain text (non-html) font used for messages per your settings. You can also select any text in the message window and change its font.

If copy some text and the font it uses is Times New Roman, then when you do a Paste you should see Times New Roman in the message. BUT, if you start a new line the font should now return to the default font, this is by design.

Also, see this article:
    Default HTML font for new messages - Thunderbird - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Last edited: 2016/05/18
  9. 2016/05/18
    JAK

Ok. What about how I go to start a new email and it shows verdana but when I actually begin to type it switches to the sans-serif, verdana listing? When cursor is in blank area it shows verdana, when you type it switches to the sans serif, verdana listing.
    (And what did I do; I just sent my son an email and it was green type?! I just changed "colors" setting to black for everything. Seems to have worked.)

Last edited: 2016/05/18
    JAK,
  10. 2016/05/19
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Is your mail account set to compose in html format?
    Tools > Account Settings

Attached Files:

11. 2016/05/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you been to Tools > Options > and had a look through ALL your settings? If you make the Defaults YOU want and they don't stay - I would uninstall and get the newest TB version from Mozilla as I have complete control over my TB without problems. Neil.

12. 2016/05/19
    JAK

Yes, that's checked...compose in HTML.
    I do have 45.1.0, the latest I think.

JAK,
  13. 2016/05/22
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Not quite sure what you mean by "sans serif, verdana listing ".