1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

TCP/IP Node type and network neighbourhood

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by ReggieB, 2006/06/16.

?

What is your Node Type (only enter Unknown if the IPCONFIG output states "Unknown")

1. Broadcast

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Peer

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Mixed

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Hybrid

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  5. Unknown

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  6. Something else

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. 2006/07/02
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni Thread Starter

Hmm. I think there is a lot of merit in what you say.

2. 2006/07/03
    ReggieB

For those interested in how NetBIOS works and how to get it to work at its best, I'd strongly recommend a read of the relevant sections of TCP/IP Fundamentals for Microsoft Windows (see this thread). They are:
    • Chapter 11 "“ NetBIOS over TCP/IP p309-330
    • Appendix C "“ Computer Browser Service p503-end

I think this again points towards the same two conclusions: Keep a PC on to act as a master browser or maintain LMHOST files.

Note that the book details both how to ensure that use of LMHOSTS files are enabled and how to set up a common LMHOSTS file.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/07/05
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Perhaps I'm way off base here, but firewalls seem to have been mentioned only in passing. In my (admittedly limited) experience, the use of the ZoneAlarm free firewall on each of my computers almost requires the use of static, rather than dynamic, IPs on my home LAN.

Both of my computers run XP Pro, and on both the Node Type is "Unknown" (see screenshot).

My desktop computer connects to the LAN and the internet by Ethernet via a D-Link DI-524 wired/wireless router, using a static IP. Using a static IP precludes the use of DHCP, so it shows in the screenshot as not enabled.

Because my laptop needs to connect via either wireless hotspots or Ethernet when I'm traveling, DHCP and Autoconfiguration are enabled in the TCP/IP properties for both NICs, allowing the use of dynamic IPs. At the same time, static IPs are set up on the TCP/IP properties Alternate Configuration tabs for connection to my home LAN (again, because of the ZA firewalls on each computer).

I can't tell you why, but it all seems to work seamlessly.

Re using Network Neighborhood to connect one computer on a LAN to another, I have always used shortcuts, and never have had to resort to Reggie's suggested use of \\computer_name and \\IP_address.

5. 2006/07/06
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Hi Jim
    I have a number of shortcuts on my XP for quick views to kids attached w98. All of these shortcuts begin with the path value \\W98\ which is the kids computer name. What do your shortcuts start with?

6. 2006/07/06

JSS3rd Geek Member

Dennis ...

Good catch! It never occurred to me that the shortcut targets for the two computers were \\computer_name1 and \\computer_name2. What I should have said was that I never have found it necessary to type \\computer_name or \\IP_address into Windows Explorer's Address Bar (which I don't normally use, or even have visible).

7. 2006/07/06
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

I'm with you. I have on cmd screens, just to see if it works.

8. 2006/07/06
    ReggieB

The problems with browsing the network via Network Neighbourhood is not universal. Many networks do not have this problem.

My feeling having looked at this problem for a couple of weeks is that you can use this rule of thumb:

The more the network changes each day, the more likely that you will have problems.

So DHCP, turning the router off a lot, and not having a PC running for very long is most likely to lead to problems. A network using static IPs, keeping the router switched on, having a PC on all the time to act as master browser is least likely to have problems.

If you don't have problems, splendid; you don't have to worry about this issue. However, if you do have this problem I'd recommend making sure you keep your router switched on all the time as the first step to trying to deal with the problem. If that doesn't work, you can either try moving to static IPs, keeping a PC on for long periods, or (as mjg1973 suggests) tweaking the master browser settings. Or, if none of those options appeal to you, get used to using the \\computer_name method.

Oh and once again, the "Unknown" node type was a red herring. I no longer think this is a problem. XP defaults to "Broadcast" mode even when showing "Unknown "

9. 2006/07/08
    jorjab Lifetime Subscription

jorjab Well-Known Member

When I type ipconfig /all into command prompt the display window comes up but disappears so fast that I cannot see it. What can I do to make it stay around so that I can see it?

10. 2006/07/08
    ReggieB

Type command first to bring up the command windows. Then enter ipconfig /all. However, you may want to read the rest of the thread first ;)

11. 2006/07/08

jorjab Well-Known Member

Thank You Command prompt worked. I have Hybrid and will enter that in the poll:) .

Windows XP Sp2 - Do not have a network - Single PC user, Connect via Cable Modem

Last edited: 2006/07/08
  12. 2006/07/08
    ReggieB

Splendid - thank you.

13. 2006/07/09

JSS3rd Geek Member

jorjab ...

If I read you correctly, you were typing ipconfig /all into the Run window, not into a Command Prompt window. Reggie's suggestion will work, but it opens the old 16-bit command processor from MS-DOS days, which has limited capabilities.

XP sports a much more extensive 32-bit command processor; to access it, type cmd, rather than command. Among other improvements, it supports long filenames and additional command options.

14. 2006/07/09

jorjab Well-Known Member

Jim,

Thank You.

Initially I had typed ipconfig into the Run window.

After Reggie's suggestion, I did actually use the accessories command prompt and then the ipconfig which brought up the correct one. Did not type "Command" into start run line. Tried using RUN to see the difference between "CMD" and "Command" in Run - interesting to see the difference including the part about the tag length.

We can always learn something new.

Georgia

Last edited: 2006/07/09
  15. 2006/07/09
    rambler

rambler Inactive

Useful info here: Computer Browser

There's a registry fix about half-way down, but I think it applies after a reboot - otherwise the Browser service has to be stopped as well.

Browser election can cause serious network visibilty problems in a mixed OS network, as 2K/XP will force an election on joining the network. I had this problem with a mixed W95/98SE/2K network some years ago. I had some success with power-up order, but the problem only disappeared when all PCs were upgraded to W2K, with the Browser service enabled only on the server.

16. 2006/07/09

JSS3rd Geek Member

Georgia ...

We've gotten a bit off the subject of Reggie's original thread, but this might be worth a mention. The Accessories > Command Prompt icon actually runs C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe, which opens the Command Prompt window. Using the RUN window is just a quick and easy way to open a Command prompt window without going through the hassle of locating the icon.

To make my life easier, I've placed shortcuts for all of the various system tools in a TOOLS folder on my Start menu. That way, I don't have to think about where they are, and they're right at hand.

17. 2006/08/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Static ip. My desktop does not share any files but has access to shares on 1 other xppro box on my lan. Netbeui is the protocol I use for filesharing. The only issue seems to be a known bug in xp in that the Computer Browser service shuts down after a few minutes of non-use & I have to restart the service in order to connect to shares on the other comp.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : OFFICE
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-C7-B1-6D
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

18. 2006/08/19
    ReggieB

Personally I am not a great fan of NetBEUI. That comes from installing a lot of small business networks and coming across the problems that are inherent to the NetBEUI protocol suite. However, I have to admit on a very small network - 2 or 3 PCs it works OK and is certainly simple. Also NetBEUI is very closely tied into NetBIOS, so when it does work, NetBIOS works well too and therefore so do applications that rely on it like Network Neighbourhood.

The main problem with NetBEUI is that it totally relies on broadcasts. That means when you transfer data via NetBEUI, every computer on the network receives the data and has to processes it (look at each packet and unless they are the target PC, reject each packet). And because it is using a broadcast MAC addresses the Network card cannot block the packets and has to pass them up to the computer.

That means if you pass a 100 Mb file over a NetBEUI network, every computer on the network slows down until the file is transmitted. When you only have a couple of computers that isn't a problem. When you have ten computers on the network it is quite a problem.

The other issue related to broadcasts is that you cannot route NetBEUI so it is no good for connecting between two or more networks. Also because the protocol uses the broadcast MAC address, switches are flooded and act as hubs - in fact, act as slow hubs because they have to receive the packet, read the broadcast MAC, and then decide to send the packet out on all ports (flood). A hub does not need to make that decision and just relays the signal out to all ports.

So if NetBEUI works for you good. However, be aware of its limitations and if you install a network that is larger than 2 or 3 computers, I would recommend using TCP/IP instead.

19. 2006/08/19
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Agreed re netbeui, esp on a small net. My home net consists of a Linksys 8 port router, a Netgear AP, 2 linux servers (1 wan Sarge & 1 lan Woody), a linux desktop (Sid), 4 xppro desktops (kids,wife & me), 1 xppro laptop (kid) & a dual boot linux Etch-xppro laptop (mine). The only file sharing occurs between my xppro desktop & wife's xppro desktop, thus all netbeui requests get stopped at the other system's nics. All the kids comps connect via a 10 Mb hub to the router so they already have a limited throughput and when they need to share a file they use ftp to a ~family account on the local Woody server. For a larger net where file sharing is essential, then yes, I would use IP for file sharing.

20. 2006/08/19
    ReggieB

Interesting network you have there Tony. Its good to see people using a variety of systems.

21. 2006/08/20
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Yeah, it's interesting to say the least! I stuck the hub inbetwen the router & kids's systems several years ago when the kids were younger...so I could sniff all the traffic in & out of it, I was learning ethereal (now called wireshark). I no longer need to monitor their traffic but never removed the hub.