1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

TBird downloads same messages repeatedly.

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Alex Ethridge, 2022/11/30.

1. 2022/11/30
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have seven e-mail accounts in TBird, all on the same domain that I own. Mail is hosted by HostGator. My most-used account redownloads the same messages repeatedly. The account checks for mail every minute but the redownloads happen only 5- to 8 times a day. This is happening on only this one account and no other.
    Things I've tried:
    • deleted popstate.dat so it would rebuild on next use of TB
    • deleted inbox.msf so it would rebuild on next use of TB
    • uninstalled TB, deleted all TB related files and folders on the computer, restarted the computer, then reinstalled TB from scratch. I transplanted NO files from the old installation.
    • deleted popstate.dat again, and inbox.msf.
    • verified that I am deleting the proper popstate.dat and inbox.msf files for the troubled account.
    Help!

2. 2022/12/01
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Is the account also being downloaded to another device?

Is the account setup as POP3 or IMAP?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2022/12/01
    Alex Ethridge

Thanks for reading and your reply.

It is POP3.

Short answer is not since I did this: After posting here, I deleted that account using HostGator's control panel and then recreated it. So at present there is no incoming mail there. I will know if this latest desperate attempt has produced any change maybe in the next 24 hours.

I've been having multiple TBird problems, mostly mail sporadically not being delivered or being delivered anywhere from a few hours to as much as four days late. I worked on that off-n-on for two weeks and it appears the delivery problem went away on its own as nothing I tried produced a change. As soon as the delivery problem went away, this repeating problem appeared.

5. 2022/12/01
    Alex Ethridge

TBird just now crashed and Mozilla Crash Reporter came up. I restarted TBird and it re-downloaded all the same mail from yesterday.

6. 2022/12/01
    Alex Ethridge

Update: Crash Reporter crashed also.

7. 2022/12/02
    Steve R Jones

8. 2022/12/02
    Alex Ethridge

Yes, ad infinitum, all suggesting pretty much the same couple of things which I have already done many times and they don't work.

Today, I started TBird and discovered that my messages in inbox are set to Threaded again. That's another thing that I have to set daily back to unthreaded. To be clear, this happens all on its own and only in this one account.

9. 2022/12/03
    Steve R Jones

10. 2022/12/03
    Alex Ethridge

New development:

I started TBird this morning and checked mail on all accounts and got the following on all messages that were supposed to be in the troubled account's folders:

File not found
    The file mailbox:///D:/AC/Thunderbird/Mail/mail.xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx/Inbox?number=8 cannot be found. Please check the location and try again.
    Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
    Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.​

Using Windows File Explorer, I looked and found only two files, Inbox.msf and Trash.msf. Inbox, msgFilterRules.dat, popstate.dat and Trash were all missing.

I suspect a virus or a remote hack as the same files are missing from a daily XCopy-type backup on drives E, X and Y (see attached image). I don't expect a virus would do this and target those backups on all three drives. In any case, it looks like my next few days will be tied up formatting and rebuilding.

Screenshot 12-03-2022 07.55.27.jpg

11. 2022/12/10
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Most likely a corrupt profile.
    What I would do:
    1. Backup the Thunderbird profile folder.
    2. Create a new profile.
    3. Copy the contents of the old Mail folder to the new profile Mail folder.
    4. Setup the accounts and rues.