1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

System32\drivers\nvatabus.sys corrupted or missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by karkas, 2007/10/30.

1. 2007/10/30
    karkas

karkas Inactive Thread Starter

I now get the error: system32\drivers\nvatabus.sys corrupted or missing. I stupidly removed some drivers before getting the error. I can't even get into windows in safe mode.

To make matters worse, I lost my XP install CD and keys years ago.

I did a little searching and found some similar problems but all the other users sound more advanced than me and have the install CD.

I really have no idea how to fix this and fear I might have to go out and buy vista and start with a fresh install.

Please help... thanks

2. 2007/10/30
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Are you able to make and use floppy disks? Do you have seven blank floppys?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/10/30
    WinCrazy

WinCrazy Inactive

Hi karkas.

If you can still get into the F8 Boot Options menu then select Last known good configuration. This may restore the drivers.

5. 2007/10/31
    karkas

WinCrazy,

No, I can't get into F8 utility at all... my comment about safe mode was badly worded and misleading. I can only get into BIOS.

6. 2007/10/31
    karkas

My CPU that is broken can indeed use floppys, I'm sure I could wrangle up 7 if needed.

7. 2007/10/31
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

8. 2007/10/31
    karkas

I'm at work right now and just looked at the links you provided (thanks a TON btw =)). However, it looks like I can do the same thing from a bootable CD ROM based on the microsoft DL link. Is there a reason I can't use a bootable CD instead of the floppy's (my broken CPU has both).

I plan on giving this a try either tonight or tomorrow depending on my time. Between working 'till 730pm, a wife, and 9 month old son I don't get much free time =P.

Thanks again

EDIT: NM, looks like the CD rom may not work because it needs windows drivers... ?

Last edited: 2007/10/31
  9. 2007/10/31
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I recommended the startup floppys because you mentioned not having the XP cd. ;)

10. 2007/11/06
    karkas

OK, I finally got the bootup disks and replacement driver disk made. However, I'm having problems booting from floppy.

I set BIOS to "First boot device = floppy. "

I insert the 1st floppy but the comp ignores it and tries to boot as it does without a floppy.

So I then enable the BIOS setting "Boot up floppy seek ". After I set that I get the message "Floppy disk(s) fail (40) "

Then the bootup process stops and waits for me to either continue or enter BIOS.

My floppy drive lights up and appears connected as it should be. I haven't used it in some time, but the last time I did, it worked fine.

Any advice or help would be very helpful 'cause I'm fresh outta ideas now.

Thanks

P.S. My MB is a gigabyte GA-7N400pro.

11. 2007/11/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Sounds like your floppy drive has failed or is extremely flakey - see possible course of action in this thread .....

Floppy Disk(s)Fail(40)

12. 2007/11/06
    karkas

Thanks PeteC, I reset my cables and still no go, guess I'll try to replace the drive and see if that fixes it... ho hum =(

13. 2007/11/07
    karkas

Well, I replaced my floppy drive and cable with new ones and I still get nothing when I try booting. If I enable floppy seek I still get error 40 as before.

I'm clueless... anyone have any more ideas?

14. 2007/11/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Make sure the floppy disks were created properly. Attempt to boot the machine they were created on with them.

15. 2007/11/08
    nilpo

nilpo Inactive

This means that it is detecting a device, but cannot communicate with it. Try resetting your BIOS to Fail-Safe Defaults. That should work it out.

16. 2007/12/05
    karkas

Well, been forever since I was here last and I still can't get my CPU to boot off the floppy drive.

I tried loading fail safe defaults and even different boot disks that aren't even related to the Windows boot utility (bios flash utility). No matter what I try to do it seems, the boot up sequence ignores my floppy disk and tries to boot into windows like any other time.

Again, this is a new floppy drive. I replaced the first one and still get the same problem. The drive lites up and seems to respond to the disk being inserted so I really don't think ts the drive or disks at this point.

I am this close to reformatting and starting fresh with vista

17. 2007/12/05
    WinCrazy

WinCrazy Inactive

Sounds just like the floppy does not have the boot sector written to it.

How did you format and/or create the floppy ?

What is on the floppy ? A DOS boot ? An XP boot ?

18. 2007/12/05
    karkas

They are preformatted purchased floppy's. And XP boot to repair console.

19. 2007/12/05
    WinCrazy

WinCrazy Inactive

Preformatted floppies do not have a boot sector on them.

How did you create the "XP boot to repair console" floppy ?

Where is the Repair Console program located ? The hard drive ? The Install CD ?

20. 2007/12/05
    karkas

Got them from the microsoft DL as a previous poster linked.

It is a DL that takes up six disks. Im supposed to boot my machine up with them, which allows me to enter the repair console where i can manually replace the bad nvida file thereby allowing me to boot into windows xp again.

Even though I made them, and start my machine up, it just ignores the disk and tries booting straight to windows, subsequently hitting the error failing to get to windows.

21. 2007/12/05
    WinCrazy

WinCrazy Inactive

I don't know anyone that has actually used those diskettes. There is a MUCH better way to run the RC:

Here's how you can burn a bootable CD that automatically runs the Repair Console.

Copied from site: Recovery console for those without an XP disk

Greetings from Emporia, Kansas where there are a lot of cattle and the tall grass prairie still exists.

The Windows XP Recovery Console is a command-line application for repairing XP systems. It is included on full Windows XP disks but is often missing from systems that come with only a “restore” disk. It is possible to download a program from Microsoft that will create a set of six floppies that contain the Recovery Console but it’s a pretty clunky way of doing things.

A reader, Dean Adams, has created a nice package that allows for the creation of a bootable CD instead. He has made the creation as easy as possible for the user. His package includes all the software needed and detailed instructions. Download the package here:
    http://vlaurie.com/computers2/downloads/recovery_console_cd.zip
    Dean has written a batch file that does all the work.

Details on using the Recovery Console are at: The Recovery Console in Windows XP.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006 at 10:46 pm and is filed under Computer management, Software, Command-line. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

I have created my own RC CD and it works fine.