1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Swapping C drive for G drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by DDow, 2010/10/20.

1. 2010/12/12
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

I was asking if you did reboot after the cloning process as that could have messed up the MBR in the clone if you had not disconnected either of the drives.

Try this new idea first and report back.

Take a look in your bios under Standard Setup and see if you can find a setting for detecting the IDE devices (that includes the CD and hard drives) and check it is set for Auto not Manual, it may be on Manual which will have saved the original set up of the two drives. On Auto it will re detect the drives each time you reboot. This could explain the error "Primary/Slave drive failed ". If you find the setting and it was on manual try the fix with the Win98 disc one more time, the drive fail error should not be appearing.

The fixmbr routine is done the same as fixboot, instructions back in post 12. Try the above first:)

2. 2010/12/12
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Our posts just crossed I'll have a read of that link. I just read the first page, note the bit about Auto detect IDE devices which I just suggested:rolleyes:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/12/12
    DDow

DDow Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks Mark
    Will be tomorrow morning now
    DD

5. 2010/12/12
    DDow

Mark,
    in my usual set up, I looked in Bios.
    In the main page, it listed Primary master, Primary Slave, Secondary master, secondary slave.
    If I select Primary Master and then select User Type HDD it gives me a choice of None, Auto, User Type Hdd, CD-ROM, Zip, MO, Other ATAPI Device.
    This is also the option for Primary Slave.
    Is this the bit that needs to be changed to Auto on both items.
    Otherwise can't seem to find it
    DD

6. 2010/12/12
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Yes it is.

I've just read through the cloning guide. A well written guide as far as I can see and there is one part "Once Finished Cloning, Don't Forget To....." which is of particular interest. The guide tells you how to set up the drives and what to do after the cloning is done. Following this procedure, paying attention to the position of the jumpers your cloned drive should have booted. It is also interesting to note that cable select is not mentioned anywhere.

So, if all else fails I would start again and follow this guide. The key points being to check the jumpers are in the correct position, as instructed, and to make sure you do not reboot after the cloning is done with the copied drive still installed.

7. 2010/12/13
    DDow

OK Mark.
    Do you want the good news or the good news. The 750 is the only Hd Drive connected in the machine and it works. Will detail what I did so all our readers can stop scratching their heads. It seems it was something right under our noses
    Re-cloned with Acronis Migrate Easy 7 as It worked on my wifes laptop. (pretty sure Spotmau would have done just as well). PC shuts down automatically so no danger of messing up MBR.
    Disconnect both drives and connect 750 to black end plug on ribbon cable, and power, and set jumper to Master.
    Power up into BIOS and change Primary Master from User Type HDD to Auto.
    Did same with Primary Slave, changed it to auto as well. (I didn't do the slave the first time and it came up Primary Master recognised
    Primary Slave failed) so those "failed" readings were due to the Auto not being selected !
    Exit and save Bios
    AND IT BOOTED.
    Closed down and restarted and it is working fine !!
    What a result.
    I have quite a few CD's and Floppys I can use to scare the birds off the sprouts now.
    I will use the PC for a few days before I attempt to refit the 320 just to make sure it is OK
    Do I just plug it in to the ribbon cable and set jumpers to slave. Do I ignore the fact that it has the OS on it?
    When do I format it so I can use all the space for backup etc.
    Just talk me through it as it has taken so long to get to where we are now I would hate to have to start again, as would you no doubt.
    I think I will clone 750 to an external drive and put it in a safe place as well!!

Last edited: 2010/12/13
    markmadras and lj50 like this.
  8. 2010/12/13
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

:D:D:D:D:D:D So easy when you know how, all down to the jumpers and auto detect, I won't forget that in a hurry.

According to that guide, and some of my own knowledge, it should be OK to leave the 750 as it is, to plug the 320 in the middle of the ribbon cable and set the jumper to slave. It should automatically boot from the 750 as the bios should go for the master first. (In this situation though, I wouldn't take the risk of the MBR getting messed up again.)

To play safe I would remove the 750, plug the 320 back in (on end of ribbon cable, jumper on master), boot with either of the cloning software boot discs and run a low level format (not a quick format) on the drive, thus making it safe to hook back up alongside the other drive. The seatools diagnostics disc you made has the faclity to run the low level format if the cloning software doesn't.

Excellent idea:D

9. 2010/12/13
    DDow

Thanks Mark,
    Will express my thanks in a pm shortly.
    What a great web site this is.
    will set as resolved

10. 2010/12/13
    DDow

Tried to send a pm twice but they wouldn't go So:-
    Thanks Mark,(we) YOU managed to solve it. I am so grateful that all my data, pics, vids, etc are all safe and all in one place. I hope you still have some hair left as I didn't have much to start with. I have certainly learnt a lot.
    Once again many thanks,
    Very Best Wishes
    David Downes

11. 2010/12/13
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

You are most welcome, glad I could help.