1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Suggestions needed on what/where to purchase desktop computer

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Vicki, 2023/01/27.

1. 2023/01/27
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Greetings all!
    Am currently looking to replace our desktop computer that was destroyed in our home fire (on Dec. 8th) I realize that this type of computer is not much in demand anymore, but is the only kind my husband feels comfortable using.
    I have replaced our laptop (that was also destroyed--which is what we're using now) but he really misses having the desktop! He struggles using a laptop.
    Anyone have any suggestions on where I can purchase one? Most all that I've seen are "all-in-one" type and don't want to go that route either. Any brand more reliable yet less expensive than others?
    Appreciate any insight you can offer!
    Thanks!!

2. 2023/01/27
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I would buy a Dell...which is what I've always purchased.

https://www.microcenter.com/ is a great place to shop locally and online. They sell refurbished Dell's for a discounted amount.

James Martin and MrBill like this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2023/01/28
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for that link, Steve! I have looked at some and found a few that I might be interested in. Appreciate your input on the Dell as well. The first desktop I had was a HP, when that got old I purchased a Gateway. Had good results from both of them, never had a Dell, but that won't stop me from getting one! :)

5. 2023/01/29
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

I have had several Dell units and was very pleased with them. I too use MicroCenter extensively - my last 4 desktops were PowerSpec which is MicroCenter's house brand and have been very pleased with them as well.

6. 2023/02/07
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Great thread.

I, too, am in the market for something newer, although I just purchased a used Dell Inspiron (W7) laptop for $50.00 from a software engineer for tinkering.

MrBill likes this.