1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Spies & who they are

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by miniB, 2003/05/11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/06/04
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

SR is a tool not necessarily the cure.

I agree with no problem there.

I don't believe anyone has said or believes it fixes all problems

I did not say ( or even intend to imply ) that anybody here did. We all know better.

But my ( former Friend ) thought so and still will not believe me.

He had a very troubled system. In fact one that even I would have called on my much disliked RE-FORMAT and started over.

He made a RP. Got a couple of things fixed and then turned right around and restored that RP and then blamed me and MS because things went sour again.

KenKeith

I believe we have come to understand each other better. On a couple of things anyway. :)

1--We need to know our system.
    2--The tools are there to help but must be used properly and sensiibley.

BillyBob

2. 2003/06/04
    KenKeith

KenKeith Inactive

DOS (disk operating system) does not exist with XP. There are a few commands identical with DOS commands, but there is not any DOS intrastructure interpretating instructions virual or otherwise.

ME had a DOS emulator. W9X gave DOS a share of the system configuration and GUI interfaced with complete control when booting into windows.

There is room for creativity.:D BTW: What is expanded volumn?

Last edited: 2003/06/04

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/06/04

BillyBob Inactive

DOS may not be there in full force I do agree

But at a Start/run/cmd there is enough to;

View a HD Partition
    View Directories on same.
    View a CD
    Start a Windows install ( rather dumb but it will )
    View a Floppy
    Change drives
    Make folders ( oops Directories in DOS )
    Copy files from one Dir to another
    Delete files
    Edit the autoexec.bat. which BTW has the date of 5/30/2002 which is the date that I installed XP.
    I could not get it to do a Deltree

The above is about all I would do with DOS from the HD anyway.

I could not get it to do a deltree.

gotta check something else will be back

BACK

Well I will be damned. It will also do a MEM /C

A possibility. It * MAY BE * a holdover from SE. But at the same time all of the DOS files that I did find are dated with the XP date. 8/29/2002.

So if it is emulated, stimulated, opinionated or impersonated or what, it is there. ( at least in part )

BillyBob

5. 2003/06/04

BillyBob Inactive

BTW. The fist line of MEM /C says

MSDOS 12768 ( 12.5 K )

BB

6. 2003/06/05
    KenKeith

KenKeith Inactive

Thanks for the details. Then an analogy can be made. Not unlike natural growing hair versus a toupee for W9X v. ME. It appears to be identical, can be managed and combed.
    XP is a bald head with a fake mustache.:)

Unfortunately, DOS like commands cannot interact with NTFS without specific third-party software.

Last edited: 2003/06/05
  7. 2003/06/05

BillyBob Inactive

Your are welcome.

I have not the faintest idea about NTFS other than the fact that is is said to be more secure.

And I am finding that XP ( once I get used to where things are ) seems to be a bit more manageable than I thought.

Also there are places that I do have a slight advantage.

I have not activated it yet. And more than likely won't for another 24 days. If I have not succeded at trashing it by then maybe I will be safe ( time will tell :) )

I still have the old HD intact if needed.

So therefore I can beat the heck out of this and if I do crash it ( or just plain don't want to keep it ) it just a matter of pluging in the old HD, recopy the C: drive and start over. ( sure won't be the first time )

And last but certainly not least but is an IMPORTANT part of my plan. If I need help I know full well where I can get it. And that place be right here at WindowBBS.

Have yourself a very fine day

BillyBob

8. 2003/06/05
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Ken and BillyBob,

"Unfortunately, DOS like commands cannot interact with NTFS without specific third-party software "

And thats why for all intents and pruposes, DOS is gone, if your file format is NTFS. I don't know the ratio of FAT to NTFS, but sometime in the not too distant future, it will be far less.

Regards - Charles

9. 2003/06/06
    KenKeith

KenKeith Inactive

NTFS would be the preferred choice for its efficiency with altra-large HDs. Also it works well with a network configuration to manage security.

If MS's patches to security is any indication, it appears MS's NTFS may be having many holes to plug to protect and secure the system. There appears to many vulnerability issues.

Many people may find it better to stay with FAT if the system is not dealing with very large storage needs, and if one is the sole user of the system without a need for protection from multi-users on a network.
    Also it is easy to convert FAT to NTFS later, but very difficult to go back to FAT from NTFS.

10. 2003/06/06

BillyBob Inactive

In other words.

Do some homework and get the Pros and Cons before going with NTFS.

Or. Know your systems and what you want from it or what you want to do with it.

Also it works well with a network configuration to manage security.

I do not seem to have a problem with Network Security.

I have a 3 machine LAN. ( all using Fat32 ) and if I do not want somebody into this machine they just ain't gonna get here. I leave nothing permanently shared.

They can see that my machine is up and running and connected but that is the end of it.

And with Kerio as a firewall if do not want them to connect to a game VIA the LAN they just ain't gonna do it either.

And on that score I had a lot of fun ( to a point ) with My Wife when I changed from NIS to Kerio. I would not let her join me in a game of Cribbage. Darn good thing for me that she knew that I was only messing around. She got even though. She beat me 7 out of 8 games.

BillyBob

11. 2003/06/07
    KenKeith

KenKeith Inactive

I agree with your assessment and your precautions may be good advise worth following for a similar configuration, as you are closing down any opportunities on your system for what vulnerabilities are already known.

However, it appears enhanced network features and different configuration settings requires network security protection and is always on the defensive from a virus, privacy impostition, and hacking. As new features are introduced, there is a catch-up mode for protection from the creativity to attack the new vulnerabilities.

Individual (families) don't need the same protection as the systems with sensitive data and/or business records where abuse may exist internally as well as externally. I believe the distinction is worth noting unless your wife has figured out how to compromise your system to cheat you.:)

12. 2003/06/07

BillyBob Inactive

Well, I see we have reached another understanding.

And I believe that is " Know your system, what is going to be required of it and work acordingly.

Agree. My home system does not need the same protection as an office or something with more sensitive data.

But I will say this.

If I were to find a Virus on this machine, the other two would have the cable UNPLUGGED from the Router until I got this one cleaned up. .

Then THIS ONE would be unplugged until I could be sure the others were clean. Not only checked with an onboard AV but at least one ( if not two ) online checks.

I have done it once when there was a possibility that I had contracted a Virus

Even with nothing shared there is no real way that I can be absolutley 100% sure that it won't get to one of the others. It might even sneak throught when we were playing cards or Golf or something.

There may be less chance of it but still not impossible.

BillyBob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.