1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Something to look forward to.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by retiredlearner, 2015/12/01.

1. 2015/12/18
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I like the idea of the diamond. They built one just north of Charlotte that's been making headlines.

2. 2015/12/20
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Getting back to the driving on the left or the right side of the road, there has been a very good article somewhere, that I can not find at the moment.
    But here is a little argument why it is safer to drive left.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-...g-on-the-left-vs-the-right-of-a-road-is-safer

I have been living in Australia, we also drive left as New Zealand does, for some 50 Years and have visited Europe on may occasions as recently as last year and we always hire cars to travel around, but I am always glad to get back to drive on the left and yes I have a German and Swiss drivers License.

Sweden changed to fit in with the rest of Europe.
    hawk22

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/12/20
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

5. 2015/12/20
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I'm sure those researches have cost taxpayers millions of "any currency ". I have made my own research but when flying. I fly gliders with a controlstick between the legs but most other controls are arranged for right handed (on the stick) persons. I was offered a flight in an MFI 9, a small twoseat aircraft with a single Y-shaped stick between the seats. I was sitting in the right seat and flew with my left hand. It took a few minutes to accomodate but after that, no problems.

6. 2015/12/20
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

The important thing to know about scanning is that while moving your eyes "from left to right" or in any direction, your brain is not able to focus. The point of vision has to be stationary.

7. 2015/12/20
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Well things have changed.

At a conference I attended recently, one of the speakers noted how the US army trains observers to "read" a landscape from right to left. The idea is that, as Anglophones accustomed to reading left to right, reversing the direction of attention brings more concentration to bear on the situation. Moving from right to left disrupts the soldier’s instinctual recognition patterns, and so they are more likely to spot things. This skill has apparently migrated from soldiers to photographers:

"One of the first tricks I learned many years ago had nothing to do with photography, but was drilled into me by an army sergeant. It only took a few smacks up the back of my head to learn how to look from right-to-left when scanning a landscape in an effort to see the hidden "enemy" in our mock battles. This process of reverse reading forced me to slow down and read each tree as if it were a syllable I was seeing for the first time. Even today, about thirty years after I called that sergeant every adjective not found in a decent dictionary, I still find myself scanning a landscape from right-to-left."

The conference speaker contrasted this way of seeing, and the assumptions explicit within it, with the Japanese way of reading, which may be right-to-left, or vertical:

8. 2015/12/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

This still doesn't answer the question of why all golf carts are left-hand drive!!!
    We will undoubtedly see a New Year report on Road deaths caused by Tourists driving on the wrong side of the road during the Holiday season.
    In my book - it's just a matter of paying attention to what you are doing, being awake, being sober and drug=free and having a desire to stay alive and keep your passengers safe.
    Have a Merry Xmas and a safe New Year. :) Neil.

9. 2015/12/21
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

LOL' Darn Americans=The first golf carts were invented in the early 1950s by Merle Williams, whose Marketeer Co. began production of an electric golf car in Redlands, California USA, based on his experience with gasoline rationing during World War II.

10. 2015/12/21
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I was in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti some years back, and the Haitians drive all over the road. If someone needs to break into traffic, they hold their hand up, and both lanes will come to a stop. Strange, but true.

Neil, don't they make right-hand-drive carts in New Zealand?

11. 2015/12/22
    retiredlearner

Funnily, NZ imports golf carts from various sources and they are all LEFT-HAND drive!
    I'm unaware of any NZ made carts and have never seen a Right-hand drive one in NZ. But I haven't been to all of our 400 odd golf courses - only played 109 so far.
    I still have vivid memories of Bill Clinton pedal to the metal downhill at Millbrook Golf and Country Club with his bodyguard hanging on for grim death as the President negotiated the bend at the bottom of the hill.
    The President had jumped into the drivers seat before the bodyguard and was having a ball. :D Neil.

12. 2015/12/22
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

13. 2015/12/22
    retiredlearner

You must have the negative back to front Bill. They are made in the USA and what is shown are LEFT-HAND drive.
    If you've got Right-hand drive golf carts in Aus-they must have been converted or ordered specially custom built Right-hand drive. :eek: Neil.

14. 2015/12/23
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

This still doesn't answer the question of why all golf carts are left-hand drive!!!

You must have the negative back to front Bill. They are made in the USA and what is shown are LEFT-HAND drive.

Neil the picture shows clearly the steering wheel is on the right side of the cart, just like your and our cars here.

Driving on the left side of the road means you have right hand drive cars.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/right-hand-drive

Have a blessed Christmas Neil

15. 2015/12/23
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I move to the panhandle in 73 and never looked back, I am about 40 miles East of Pensacola.