1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Should I buy Windows Vista when it gets released?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Evan Omo, 2007/01/18.

1. 2007/01/18
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    I know alot about Windows Vista and I am thinking of getting it when it gets released to the general public on January 29 but I have a few questions that I would like to ask the experts. :) First is the RTM and RC versions of Vista stable when they were tested? If there are alot of bugs when Vista is released to the public will Microsoft just release patches for the OS or will Microsoft come up with an entire new version of Vista? Should I wait 6 months for Vista or should I get it the first week or so after its released? Any help and insight would be appreciated. :D

2. 2007/01/18
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

MS will patch it just like they've always done...Many updates and then a Service Pack at some point many months from now.

Can't say that I would install it on a mission critical machine just yet.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/01/18
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello Evan,

I just got an additional system and installed RC1 on it to see what Vista looked like and to see how stable it is at that stage.

After very little time, it seems stable enough with a few minor glitches with dual booting issues, which I think I have solved. I woud agree with Steve - don't burn your bridges. If you have another machine, do that, or dual boot it with XP.

Regards - Charles

5. 2007/01/18
    Evan Omo

Thanks for the feedback Steve and Charles. I greatly appreciate it. The version of Vista I am thinking of getting is Vista Ultimate because 1 it has all the best features and 2 I can do an in place upgrade so I don't have to reinstall anything. I ran the Vista Upgrade Advisor on my Windows XP Professional machine and it didn't find any software that would be problematic when I get Vista. Anyway though I think I am going to wait maybe a month or so and see what people think about it before I get it. Anyway thanks again for your comments and suggesstions. :) :D

6. 2007/01/18
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Probably need to do a little more research.
    I know the Ultimate version comes as a full install or as an upgrade...I'm pretty sure that I read the the upgrade version requires a Full/Clean install..You'd be promted to insert your XP cd as prrof of purchase.

7. 2007/01/18
    Evan Omo

Thanks again Steve. I probably will do some more research on Vista. Also one of the other reasons why I want Vista Ultimate is that I got a copy of Office XP thats genuine and it already came preinstalled on my machine. I don't have the Office XP CD, so if I did a clean install with Vista I would lose Office XP and I would have to go out and buy Office 2007. :( Which I want to avoid doing. I heard Office 2007 is like $600 dollars. :( I will most likely back up all my data just in case if anything were to go wrong when I upgrade to Vista Ultimate in a month or so. ;)

8. 2007/01/18
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Have a look at Aries article. From what I understand, it's the X64 version of XP that can't be upgraded. XP Home and XP Pro 32 bit versions can both be upgraded to Ultimate without starting over. That's the way I read it anyway.

9. 2007/01/18
    Evan Omo

Thanks Zander for the link. :D That was very helpful in answering some of my questions that I had. :) Zander, now that I read that article from Arie I am not that concerned about upgrading from Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 to Windows Vista Ultimate. I do have one more question to ask you Zander. :p Will it make any difference if I buy Windows Vista Ultimate when it comes out or if I buy it 6 months from now? What I mean by that is if the current version of Vista Ultimate has some bugs in it will Microsoft release an entire new version of Vista Ultimate or just patch the current version of Vista Ultimate that got released? :confused: Thanks again Zander and everyone else for helping me out on my questions that I have about Vista. :) I am very grateful of your knowledge and I love this forum. :D

10. 2007/01/19
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Microsoft does not normally releases new versions of its OS, unless there is something terribly wrong with the old one. What you get are instead patches (on second Tuesday of every month) and if you are really lucky, an update (like SP2).

Any new program would have certain problems (bugs :( ) in the beginning. Its better not to install it on your main computer - you may never know if some feature or some combination of the OS & the program you must use don't like each other & are show stoppers :D .

Better be safe than sorry.

11. 2007/01/19
    Zander

I agree. The CD you buy 6 months from now is going to be the same as the one you purchace now. Eventually, the CD will probably be updated but that won't happen until SP1 is released for it and that will more than likely be a while. Until then, it'll just be patches.

12. 2007/01/19
    Evan Omo

Thanks again Zander for your help. :) :D I guess then that it won't make any difference if I buy Vista when it gets released or if I buy it 6 monts from now since it will be a while before Microsoft will release SP1 for Vista. :rolleyes: I will probably get it then the first week or so after its released and I will install Ultimate on another computer, not on my original machine. :)

13. 2007/01/20
    Evan Omo

Hey Zander when do you think you will buy Windows Vista?

Im just curious as to what other people will do when Windows Vista comes out. :)

14. 2007/01/20
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Evan,

I'll get a free copy from HP as part of the deal for buying a computer from them.

As I mentioned, Ill replace the RC running with the final when I get it.

I mentioned not burning bridges, I've run in to the first DRM issue with Vista. I tried to burn out some of the images installed as part of Vista demo for a friend that liked the pictiures and recieved a "you do not have permission to burn" message, running as Admin. I did not install any 3rd burn software on Vista, this is thru WMP v11. Whether this happens with 3rd party burn apps, I don't know. Since I dual boot with MCE, I burned the images in XP.

So take heed, I don't know how many issues like this I'll run to.

Regards - Charles

15. 2007/01/20
    Evan Omo

Thanks for your response and feedback Charles. :) I just hope when I upgrade to Vista that it goes smoothly like everything else I have done with my computer.

The things I have done in preperation for Vista are I have already installed some new hardware on my system such as a 450 watt power supply, an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512 MB AGP graphics card, a DVD/CD-RW drive, and I installed a another 512 MB stick of SDRAM bringing my total RAM to 1 GB. :)

Currently my Windows XP Professional machine is quite stable so I think the upgrade to Vista Ultimate should go pretty smoothly and all my software seems compatible too(at least thats what the Vista Upgrade Advisor said). But I will back up my data just in case anything were to go wrong during the upgrade. Better to be safe than sorry. :) Thanks again for your feedback and help Charles and everyone else. :D

Regards,
    Evan

16. 2007/01/20
    Zander

Well, I guess I'll probably hold off for a while. I'm dual booting now with XP and Vista RC1. Vista is quite stable on my computer. I've never had it go down except for one time when I tried to force some drivers on it for a PCI SATA controller card. It wouldn't boot no matter what I tried. So, I ended up booting to XP and used Windows Explorer to delete the driver files in the system32 folder on the vista drive. After that, it booted just like always. I'll not try that again. Not with that card anyway. :D

So, anyway, I think I'll bide my time and just run that for a while. I'm a pretty patient guy. I would guess I'll wait at least 6 months, maybe more. But then again, I might just get the urge all of a sudden and ........ :)

17. 2007/01/20
    Fang

Fang Inactive

I know that in this case with an XP Upgrade asked for the previous version of Windows CD it wont accept a computer manufacturers compressed CD (Restore Disk) So with that said I assume Vista wont do the same. Either have XP already installed or have a real Microsoft Windows CD ready. :)

18. 2007/01/20
    Evan Omo

Thank you everyone for respondnig to my post and helping me out with my questions that I had about Vista. I am much more confident about upgrading to Windows Vista Ultimate after hearing what you guys had to say about it. :) Thank you guys so much for your help. :cool: :D

19. 2007/01/21
    usasma

usasma Inactive

I've used x86 Vista Ultimate (RTM) since shortly after it's release as my primary OS. Only a couple of issues with it:

1) It does not like apps that weren't designed with Vista in mind - but I've coaxed mine to work for me.
    2) It's blue screened on me twice - both times playing FEAR Extraction Point. An update of the video drivers from the nVidia site solved this and let me finish the game.

Interestingly, I have pcAnywhere (v11.0) installed. Vista complains mightily that it's incompatible. Then it lets me run it - and it runs without issues every night via the Task Scheduler. Go figger! :)

20. 2007/01/21
    Zykan

Zykan Inactive

If anyone needs a games/utilities listing of what is comaptible with Vista then visit here occasionly...

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List

With regards to Vista i don't think i'll bother. What people don't realise or have forgotten, that many features that were meant to be a part of Vista when it came to light, have fallen by the wayside during its build....with most dropping in the last year leading to release.

My XP machine looks and runs like Vista and Stardock was the only thing i'd paid for, for the look.....the other utilities were free. Yes, you can even set up XP to act the same way as the security is set on Vista now...many people don't realise that.

Sometine this year, like .Net, Microsoft are going to release their new file system (one of the items dropped from Vista) to Vista & XP Op systems.

The only thing i will miss, by not having Vista Ultimate, is the additions that MS will be bringing out for the Ultimate version. However, i can live with that but when i do upgrade it will be when MS stop supporting XP and by then VU will be much cheaper.

The impression i get from the press, TV etc and from people i know from companies, friends etc, is that they are not interested in upgrading to Vista and are happy with XP; Office 2007 is another matter though and the interest in this from comapnies is looking very good indeed.

21. 2007/01/22
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

That has never been the case when buying a retail copy, so I'm pretty sure that will be the case now.