1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Setting up RAID

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Snape, 2006/04/19.

1. 2006/04/22
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Snape, RAID 0 is NOT a RAID in strict sense. It just scatters (I hope it's the right word) your data onto 2 or more hard disks, speeding up your reads dramatically but also increasing (dramatically) your chances of data loss. If you want a RAID, RAID 1 (mirroring) is the least expensive way of doing it.

2. 2006/04/22
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

"Striping" ;) ;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/04/22
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Well "Striping" may indeed be correct technical word, but what it is doing basically is scatterring the data all over the hard disk(s).

5. 2006/04/22
    Snape

Snape Inactive Thread Starter

Yeah I know, that's what I wanted.

6. 2006/04/22
    Snape

Snape Inactive Thread Starter

I read those links posted previously - very useful, thanks for those.
    How about if I setup a RAID 3 or RAID 5? These will give increased performance without the risk in a RAID 0 right?

My main objective is to have increased read speeds with my hdd.

7. 2006/04/23
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Go for RAID 1 (mirrorring). very fast read speeds but lousy writes.

8. 2006/04/24
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

With modern hard drives being so big, RAID 1 has a lot going for it. Simple to set up. Easy disaster recovery. I think that is your best bet.

RAID 3 has been superceded by RAID 5. You'll find it hard to find a controller that will support RAID 3.

RAID 3 is like RAID 0, but adds an additional disk to the array to hold parity information, which allows the data to be retrieved if a disks breaks. You can think of it working like A + B = C. If you lose disk B, you can work out what it was by using C - A. The problem with RAID 3, is that the parity disk gets overworked as data are written to it every time any data on the other disks are changed.

In RAID 5 the partity information is striped across the disks too. So you get the resiliance of RAID 3, but without the excess activity on one disk.

RAID 5 is great if you have a SCSI bus and lots of drives. It is the best performance reliable disk set up, but you need a lot of disks to get the best from it. Data recovery can also be slow if a disk fails (by the way, if two disks fail, you lose the lot again).

9. 2006/04/24
    Scott Smith

That's why I always try to include a hot spare in the budget. If 2 fail your still ok.

10. 2006/04/24
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

As long as your controller recognises the hot spare! However, yes you are right. A hot spare is always a good idea.

The other thing that is often over-looked is the monitoring system. I've seen a number of systems where a disk has failed but the users/admins don't realise it has. Then the second disk fails ........

You can spot a failed disk in a server room: drop in performance, lots of disk activity, but it's easy to miss. Much better to have a system that sends you a message if the RAID fails.

11. 2006/04/24
    tonman23

tonman23 Inactive

Raid 5 with a hot spare is def. a great investment if you're running a files server etc., but from the original post this is your personal equiptment correct? If so you will find that the setup will cost an arm and a leg. The controller alone is starts at $300+ and goes up to over $1,000.

12. 2006/04/25
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

How often do I get a chance to wax lyrical about different RAID configurations? :D

Yes, as stated earlier RAID 1 is the best option to answer the original post, but I'd like to think this is a more interesting discussion thanks to the musings on other options.

13. 2006/04/25
    Scott Smith

Promise TX4310

Cost-effective RAID 0/1/5/10 controller with SATA 3Gb/s drive support for motherboards with a PCI interface.

I paid 139.00 plus shipping on E Bay. Retail boxed with PAM utility.