1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Server 2012R2 and Remote Desktop Services

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by Steve R Jones, 2017/01/11.

1. 2017/01/11
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

We lease servers from a DataCenter to host our accounting software for our clients. They access the machines via Terminal Server (TS)/Remote Desktop Services (RDS)

I'm swapping the older 2003 machines with 2012 machines. They are all stand alone bare metal servers.

The one tool (so far) that I'm missing is the old TS Manager that allowed me to see who's online and disconnect them if needed... It also gave me their session ID to help to find that user in Device and PRINTERS.

In Server 2012, I've found the Server Manager-> RDS...but when I try to access it, it is telling me I am logged on as local admin and that I MUST be logged on as a domain user to manager the server and collections.

In Control Panel I see RemoteApp and Desktop Connections.... It prompts me for a "Connection URL...." It warns that if I continue, links to remote programs, files and computers will be added to your computer... (guessing it means the server and not MY local computer)

The new server did come with an IP address and a (i guess) Domain Name-> ServerName.OurCompanyName.com

I've been using the IP address... If I attempt to remote in using the Domain Name - will that fix my problem or maybe create more?

Related question - should the 15 users use the domain name also....or does it matter?

Thank you in advance.

2. 2017/01/11
    Steve R Jones

I got brave and figured out I can not connect via -> ServerName.OurCompanyName.com

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/01/12
    Steve R Jones

I found the QUSER command that shows me what I need.... I also figured out the LOGOFF command.