1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved screen resolution reduced after installing Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Geoff Hands, 2011/12/01.

1. 2011/12/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Good that nVidia replied - listening out for progress report :)

2. 2011/12/04
    Geoff Hands Lifetime Subscription

Geoff Hands Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Nvidia tell me that they do not have a driver for my graphics card on my laptop - this deserves a whole row of exclamation marks I should think - unless it really means in combination with Win7. They certainly had one with Vista because that was what was used until the recent upgrade. They offered me a link to another site "laptopvideo2go.com and told me which driver to download and what to do, but I have not managed to get it to install, and diagnostics comes up with "incompatibility ".

I think I am stuck, unless I change my graphics card ? I guess that I would have to get someone to do that for me . Is this feasible and does it sound an economic proposition ?

Last edited: 2011/12/04

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/12/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would think that nVidia are saying that they do not provide a driver for Windows 7 - that is not uncommon for older hardware..
    Highly unlikely you can do that - not so much a card than a chip soldered to the motherboard.

I think your only option is to revert back to Vista.

5. 2011/12/04

That would certainly solve all these problems , but the question is how to do it. My laptop did not come with an installation disk . is there any "easy way" ?

6. 2011/12/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

7. 2011/12/06

Well, the Nvidia man said he was still working on my problem, but as the days tick by, I guess that he is not going to come up with an answer. I can find Vista on e-bay, intended as an upgrade from XP etc ; will it run if I buy and try ? Or will I get another incompatibility " you can't possibly mean it" message ?

My previous experience of buying software etc on e-bay makes me rather pessimistic .Whatever the seller says it usually turns out to be pirate even if my pessimism turns out to be unjustified..

I do feel that there may be an answer somewhere - since every page I load on my restricted screen seems to overflow, as though something is detecting a 1280 px wide screen and loading for that, so that I have to scroll sideways to read the whole line - make usage quite a pain !

8. 2011/12/08

So; I have bought a copy of Vista, am waiting for it to arrive. The advice which comes with it is to go to my manufacturers web-site and download some drivers - in particular ethernet and WiFi and put them on a memory stick, before installing Vista, in case nothing suitable is installed as part of the new OS. I can see the sense ; but once more I find the Sony site most unhelpful. When eventually I navigate as far as drivers download ( not an easy or obvious thing ) , I just get messages saying I don't have permission to go any further - a Japanese polite way of saying "get lost ". How I do love Sony !
    Is there any way around this ? Or maybe the risk/need for all this is being a bit overstated ?

9. 2011/12/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Something strange with Sony - if I navigate to the download for the original drivers package for the laptop when I hit the download button all I get is 'IE cannot display the web page' (IE9) but it works in Firefox 8.0 so I suggest you try Firefox.

10. 2011/12/08

The strangeness continues - I'm working on my PC which is not the machine with the problem , but I thought I would go to the Sony site on Firefox here, and see if there is anything I can download to a memory stick. Couldn't open Firefox , although it appears as a Programme on Control Panel . I uninstalled it , which happened far too quickly (!) and then tried to download it Firefox 8) again . No joy. I got a window saying "Internet Explorer is blocking the downloading of Firefox ". A right click on that message offered me the chance to unblock - which I chose, and then got "Firefox can't be downloaded in DOS" . "This window is now closing "... which it did.
    I then tried a different site ( from IE) to get my download ; this looked better, no pop-ups, but I found that I was actually downloading something called ILivid - something to do with social networking - which took several minutes to process, and ended up with several short-cuts on my desk-top all about face-book. I don't do that, so I uninstalled all this stuff.
    I will now do a re-boot, and have another try tomorrow , hoping the gremlins will have a day off !

11. 2011/12/08
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Sounds like a (Malware) infected system to me...

12. 2011/12/12

OK , I installed Vista , and got my full screen back - now for a few hours work getting all the Windows updates, reinstalling software etc etc. I've done enough to be sure that all is well, so I am marking this thread resolved. Thanks to all for the help I got.

13. 2011/12/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Thanks for the update - good news :)