1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Running out of memory

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Capt Ron, 2010/10/03.

1. 2010/10/13
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

OK, this sounds like a complete non-issue to me now!

2. 2010/10/13
    Capt Ron

Capt Ron Well-Known Member Thread Starter

As long as the "Running out of Memory" alert doesn't return.
    I haven't spent much time on them since the issue other than to do what's been suggested here.

Thanks

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/10/13
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Having now seen the percentage figures for memory use I would say all your PC's are now running normally. The percentage figures would have been higher on the two PC's with smaller RAM capacity.

Please mark this post as resolved from the Thread tools tab at the top of the first post.

5. 2010/10/13
    Capt Ron

Well it's semi resolved. I still don't know why I was getting the alerts.......may never know if it doesn't return.
    I'll mark it resolved anyway.

6. 2010/10/13
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Understood, it is a bit of a mystery because even wth only 2GB of RAM in 2 of the PC's a low memory alert would not be expected. It's only a guess but perhaps there was some updates installing or an indexing service configuring when you first used them.

All seems normal now though, but please ask for more help if the problem returns.

7. 2010/10/13
    Capt Ron

Thx!
    Yea something must have been running. Just never had a machine do that unless I had everything running and it already had issues.
    Thanks again!!

8. 2010/10/13
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

That is probably the case. My final thought on this is that windows had not automatically set the virtual memory before you first switched on the PC, this would have generated the error message and then windows will have changed the size of the virtual memory paging file so the error message should not come back.

When the error appeared did it say "windows is changing the size of the virtual memory paging file" (or something like that) in which case you should have nothing to worry about.

Virtual memory is a section of the hard drive that windows uses as RAM if there is not enough physical RAM available.

9. 2010/10/13
    Capt Ron

No it didn't refer to virtual memory at all. I may try to optimize my virtual memory though. I believe the optimum (if not on auto) is to set it a 1.5 time what physical memory is?
    Been a while since I've done that.
    Now I need to figure out what to do with the 7 1GB DDR3 cards I have. Too bad someone doesn't make a "card Reader" so to speak that could be connected via USB to boost system performance. It would be cool to have 7gb of standby RAM.:cool:

10. 2010/10/13
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Not sure what the optimum is for virtual memory I guess it would depend on the RAM installed and what memory use is demanded by the software you run.

Anyway, hope all those PC's keep running smoothly.