1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Yotsuba, 2006/02/12.

1. 2006/02/12
    Yotsuba

Yotsuba Inactive Thread Starter

What I was doing to create this problem? I removed Windows Service Pack 2 because I believed it to be the cause of several crash problems I have been having lately, but removing it just caused more serious problems.
    After removing SP2 I came across several annoying little glitches throughout windows, so many glitches but I was able to play games and continue like normal except some **** like I couldn't get WMP to work anymore, IE crashing out etc etc(far too much to mention and it isn't that important anyways). So I decided to just reinstall a fresh version of windows without reformatting my hard drive. After the reinstall THAT is when this problem occured please look below for more details:

This is a peculiar problem, I will list the full details of it:
    Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    (click on more info)
    EventType : BEX P1 : rundll32.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.2180 P3 : 41107dbc
    P4 : setupapi.dll P5 : 5.1.2600.2180 P6 : 411096b0 P7 : 0004644e
    (even more info)
    C:\DOCUME~1\Chad\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5af2.dir00\rundll32.exe.mdmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Chad\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5af2.dir00\appcompat.txt

I am going to list the steps that I have taken to try to solve this problem.

I have:

- Tried to run sfc /scannow which came up with an error: Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable]

- Furthermore I have made attempts to solve this issue by utilizing the following links:
    - http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=36489
    - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296241

these steps were unable to solve the sfc /scannow problem which means that I am now left with two unresolved problems.
    - I have reinstalled a fresh version of windows XP with overwrote the previous version(not quite a reformat)

I am a computer person myself who has been working on computers for over 5 years now but not nearly seasoned enough to tackle something like this it would seem.

What I am unable to do is reformat my computer as my harddrive contains about 15-20 gigs worth of stuff that I can NOT lose no matter what(and unfortunately I don't have access to another hard drive as my backup drive seems to be busted it just won't work, not even as a secondary drive or primary slave drive). I am in a very stick situation.

2. 2006/02/12
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Did you check for spyware & viruses? chkdsk ?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/02/12
    Yotsuba

which programs would you recommend(freeware) for a virusscan? I have malware and all of those goodies for spyware but...
    I am using Avast! for a virus scanning software and I seriously can't deal with how long it takes to scan even on the fastest settings it can take over 6 hours.... is there something I am not doing right with it? What makes matters worse is the scans stop everytime a virus is found forcing you to click the appropriate action... if I can leave the scan running while I go off and do whatever like SLEEP it may be a better idea.

Err anyways, do you know anything about avast? Can I set it so it'll delete any virus's it finds without prompting for action?(I've already attempted to work with the preferences and options.... didn't quite see any options like this)

5. 2006/02/13
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

6. 2006/02/13
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

7. 2006/02/13
    Yotsuba

okay I've run hijackthis I've run Avast! on a thorough scan which took a very long time I've run anti-malware I've run spybot S&D.
    The problem is still going strong the only difference is my computer boots up faster not a lot of good it does me.

8. 2006/02/13
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Did you find any viruses or spywares? Did you run chkdsk /f ?