1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Retrospect Express 7.5 Backup Software

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Welshjim, 2006/08/04.

1. 2006/08/04
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive Thread Starter

I have a Western Digital USB external HD with Retrospect Express 6.5 that came with the HD.
    I have received the Retrospect Express 7.5 software from the WDC Settlement suit.
    Has anyone any experience installing and using RE 7.5?
    Are there any benefits, drawbacks? I read something about 7.5 disabling the Backup button on the external HD.
    If I should install RE 7.5, can I just install it over 6.5? Or should I uninstall 6.5 first.?
    Thank you

2. 2006/08/05
    oserdavid

oserdavid Inactive

Welshjim

I had the original Retrospect vs 6.something that came with my Maxtor One Touch external drive. I have upgraded to Retrospect 7.0.5.102 without any problems - and the One-Touch button still works. As long as you don't strip it out of your startup programs. Then it doesn't for some reason. I can't recall whether I uninstalled the original software first, or just installed over - whatever I did I just followed the instructions.

Provided you still have the original installation disk, I always reckon it's better to install over, just in case the new software insists on finding a component of the uninstallation software that got removed when you uninstalled the original verson, but somewhere deep within your registry there is something telling the new version that the old version is still there (as with: Dragon Naturally Speaking, Adobe Acrobat, Norton Antivirus, Nokia PC Suite, and Apple Quicktime. Actually, it has just occured to me that with so many pieces of software being at 'fault' in this way - the problem may lie within Installshield, if it is common to all of them (Eureka!!?)
    David

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/05
    Welshjim

oserdavid--Thanks for the advice, especially on installing. However, Retrospect Express 7.0.5 and 7.5 are different versions so your comments on the former may not reflect what 7.5 will do.

5. 2006/09/15
    oserdavid

oserdavid Inactive

I wonder what happened in your case Welshjim? I did install 7.5 'over' the earlier version I had (then paid the appropriate fee, or course, since it turned out to be an 'upgrade' rather than an 'update'). And guess what - although Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs showed only Retrospect 7.5 - using my OneTouch button launched my original Retrospect, no bother. Of course I deleted the Dantz and Retrospect folders from my Program Files and now it doesn't do that any more, but now the OneTouch button is unassociated. I can't find out how to associate it in the manual. So I'm having to launch EMC Retrospect 7.5 from my computer. No great hardship - but - you wouldn't happen to know the way to configure the OneTouch stuff under C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils, would you? I might be able to work it out for myself, just might - but I figured you might already have done that! Save me a bit of work... (By the way - you don't happen to know anything about QuickTime 7.1 do you?) (joke)
    Best - David

6. 2006/09/15
    Welshjim

oserdavid--
    It sounds like that 7.5 did that to you.
    Were there any upsides to 7.5? Or did you not use it long enough to notice?

7. 2006/09/16
    oserdavid

oserdavid Inactive

I'm using it - I can't see how it's better, and I can't be bothered to find and read the release notes. I roughly know how to reassociate my OneTouch button, too - but to save myself the sweat of trial and error... Oh, never mind... I'll let you know when I've done it, and how - if you are still interested, old son...:)
    David

8. 2006/09/16
    Welshjim

oserdavid--Yes, please tell us how to restore the One Touch button.
    I was hoping that 7.5 might be faster (in backing up or duplicating) than 6.5. The latter averages 250MB/min on my PC.

9. 2006/09/16
    RubyRed1213

RubyRed1213 Inactive

Retrospect Express 7.5

I received Retrospect express 7.5 as part of wd's settlement also. I backed up all of files, verified them and now they are not showing up on the discs, even in my computer. When I try to configure the dvd rom in retro, it keeps asking to put an optical disc in, when it's already there.

Ruby

10. 2006/09/17
    oserdavid

oserdavid Inactive

I thought it would be easyish - but having removed the Dantz Retrospect folder I found that it had also removed some of the Maxtor OneTouch dialogues - which I had hoped to modify to point OneTouch at the right (new) program. That being the case, I went to Maxtor's website and, from support/downloads I chose the Maxtor Onetouch update download which did not also include Retrospect (there were two - one very large and one less large file - choose the smaller one, or if in doubt, do what I did, which was download the wrong one first, and abort the install when it shows that it wants to install Retrospect!!). The new OneTouch program which does install over the old one, has a start setting, can't recall which one - but you can experiment, which allows you to browse to the new Retrospect folder under Program Files, and point it at Retrospect.exe. And - hey presto! - it works.

As to whether this Retrospect 7.5 program is any faster than the original I had - I think it is significantly slower - but that may just have to do with what is on my system, I'm not enough of an expert to judge the reason.
    David

PS - with reference to Ruby's issue - I'm not using Backup, I'm using Duplicate - so I just have no idea about this

11. 2006/09/17
    Welshjim

oserdavid--Thanks for the information. Seems like there is not much purpose in using Retrospect 7.5. I'll just stick with 6.5.

RubyRed1213--The lawyers came out on top again.