1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Renaming Files on CD-R?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drewbarbpi, 2005/03/25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/25
    drewbarbpi

drewbarbpi Inactive Thread Starter

Is there any way to rename a picture file I've saved on CD-R? I've tried to do this and it tells me that I can't rename a read-only file...I tried to save a different picture to CD-R under an old name, trying to replace a file, but that wouldn't work, either. At one point, when trying to save a .jpg file over an old name, it said that I couldn't save files in that area because I wasn't the administrator. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!!
    Barb :confused:

2. 2005/03/25
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

The easy way out is to copy the contents of the CD back to your hard drive, make the changes you want, then burn a new CD. You can't actually change files on a CD after they have been written, as you have found out.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/25
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello Barb,

You would have to download the files onto the HD, rename, and burn it out again.

With CD-R, the burn would have to be to a different cd, R is write once only.

On CD-RW, still wouldn't be able to change anything on the disc itself, same procedure as for R, but you can re-use the same disc.

Regards - Charles

EDIT: 'dude, you were quicker on the draw :)

5. 2005/03/25
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

If you're using Roxio drag-and-drop software you can delete the file and save it again under the new name. On a CD-R you will of course lose the space since you can't overwrite it on a CD-R, only on a CD-RW disk.

Works the same way on DVDs.

Otherwise use only CD-RW or DVD-RWs for all your drag and drop and when the CD is full, write to a folder on the HDD and then write it to a CD-R. Then erase the RW and re-use it.

Last edited: 2005/03/25
  6. 2005/03/25
    charlesvar

Hi Sparrow,

If you're using Roxio drag-and-drop software you can delete the file and save it again under the new name.
    Delete from where? As far as I can tell, you delete from Roxio's buffer - the disc contents, and re-burn, or am wrong here?

Regards - Charles

7. 2005/03/25
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Hi Charles,
    A CD-R in Roxio drag-and-drop can be treated like a floppy or HDD. (it is first formatted by the program - that takes a minute! - and then is said to be further formated as you drop files on it). The files are burned immediately. I just rebooted my test computer to verify this. I deleted a file that was burned to the DVD-R some time ago, and it's gone. Works the same on CD-Rs. I used CD-Rs for drag and drop back-up for a long time (under adaptec software) before CD-RWs became so inexpenxive.

I just tried to rename a file on my DVD-R and the rename worked just fine.

Last edited: 2005/03/25
  8. 2005/03/25
    charlesvar

Ok thanks Sparrow, I'll have to try this.

I don't use CD or DVD R's, only RW's, they're cheap enough these days. Haven't wanted to burn anything that needed Dual Layer yet.

Anyway, the advice that SFD2 and I gave is accurate as far as general burning goes, this is just a complication and takes familiarity with burning which I don't think Barb has, no insult intended Barb :)

Regards - Charles

9. 2005/03/25
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Thanks, Charles. Roxio is the only software with this capability, so far as I know.

10. 2005/03/25
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

sparrow's right about deleting files from a cdr when using packet writing software. There's one catch though. When you delete a file from a cdr you don't recover the space the file used. So, if you delete a 30mb file from a 700mb cdr, you'll still only have 670mb's available on the disk after you've deleted the file.

11. 2005/03/25
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Thanks, Zander. :D
    It's better to just rename the file in this case, but the user needs the proper software! If she'll email me I'll tell her where to get it. :cool:

12. 2005/03/26
    drewbarbpi

drewbarbpi Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks, guys...most helpful, as usual! No, I don't know much about burning, except for saving digitals and making CD's of my favorites with basic Windows XP software (Record Now). I figured the renaming wasn't going to work, and it's no biggie...live and learn! Thanks for all your replies!
    Barb :)

13. 2005/03/26
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

This is true ONLY if the disk is CLOSED after burning. Most CD Burner software has a setting to "close disk" after burning, unchecking this option keeps the CDR session opened. Thus one CAN rewrite to a CDR over & over until it's capacity is reached, but the successive writes to the CDR must be written to an unused portion of the disk, data cannot ever be overwritten on a CDR. This is the rimary difference between CDR & CDRW. On CDRW, disk sectors can be reused and disks can be formatted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.