1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Removing an errant application [Photoshop CS3 beta]

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by sir gerald, 2007/10/09.

1. 2007/10/09
    sir gerald

sir gerald Inactive Thread Starter

Earlier this year I installed the Beta version of Adobe Photoshop CS3.
    As near as I could tell, it resides on top of CS2.

After the 30 day trial period I tried to remove it using Adobe's instructions.
    Although it said it was successful, the application was still there and operational but extremely dysfunctional.

Since the two seem to be connected, I was going to just remove CS2 and re-install it ... hopefully, getting rid of CS3.
    CS2 shows up in the Add and Remove list but when I try to remove it I get an error message saying "This action is only valid for for applications that are currently installed. "
    Although CS3 does not show up on the Add and Remove list, apparently it's what's causing Windows not to recognize CS2 as an installed app.

So I'm stuck wih a dysfunctional CS3 and can't access CS2.

So ... how do I forcibly remove it, seeing how it's being so uncooperative.

thanks

2. 2007/10/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Run the Adobe CS3Clean Script and then make a repair install of CS2. If you still have problems run the Clean script again - and again if necessary.

The CS3 beta caused a lot of grief to some at the removal stage, but running the beta convinced me that I needed CS3 - the new RAW plugin is first class, way beyond that in CS2 and very similar to Lightroom.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/10/09
    sir gerald

Thanks Pete. That did it.

Rather than attempt to repair CS2, I was going to uninstall and re-install it but I still have the problem with Add and Remove giving me the error message "This action is only valid for for applications that are currently installed. "

Got any ideas ?

~

5. 2007/10/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Can you get as far as shown in the screenshot - select Repair, or does that message crop up as soon as you click in Add/Remove on CS2?

If that is the case try Windows Installer Clean up Utility and remove all traces of CS2 and reinstall.

6. 2007/10/14
    sir gerald

Pete, the Windows Installer Clean up Utility didn't list CS2 as an installed program.
    I ended up downloading a trial copy ouf YourUninstaller 2006.

It initially told me CS2 could not be removed because it wasn't installed ... even though it showed up in the list of installed programs.
    But it displayed a list of Registry entries associated with CS2 ... which once they were removed finally got rid of it.

That's the last time I'm downloading a Beta version of anything.

:)

7. 2007/10/14
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Beta's can be fun.....Most will tell you to only install on a machine you can afford to reformat all the time.

8. 2007/10/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

There were unforseen problems with uninstalling the CS3 beta as a visit to the Adobe forums will confirm. On one of my computers I had to make a repair install of CS2 after removing CS3 beta.

Glad to hear you found a way of fixing it.