1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Remove old Printer Port

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by boutells, 2018/04/05.

1. 2018/04/05
    boutells

boutells Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My printer/scanner has stopped working and I have completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it but at the very end of the installation I get the message "New port could not be created". Canon tells me that the reason is an old port has been left open and I have to delete it. They have escalated the issue and "will get back to me" but I need it now.
    Having searched for the matter, I am supposed to right click on the printer in Devices and Printers and go to the ports tab. The problem is that when I do this there is no ports tab.

Any suggestions how I can completely remove everything so I can re-install and get up and running?

2. 2018/04/05
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I "THINK" this is the folder where crashed Print Jobs are stored-> C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

See if there is anything in there and what the file names are.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/04/05
    boutells

That folder is empty but I did manage to get the printer installed if not the scanner. However, I think that is an issue for the manufacturer, not Windows so for the time being at least I am marking this as solved.

5. 2018/04/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you Shut down your comp after you uninstalled? This needs to be done when major changes are made - cleaning - etc.

6. 2018/04/06
    boutells

I am now resurrecting this thread as it appears to be a Windows problem after all. The bottom line is this:

If I install the drivers while the Printer is connected by a USB cable, the drivers install as expected. If I install for a wireless connection, only the printer driver gets installed; the scanner driver that gets installed is a Windows driver; not the printer's driver. As a result, I can't use the scanner without it being connected by a USB cable unless I use Windows Scan and Fax which is rubbish. It was working and I suspect there was something in the most recent Windows Update (it was working as one would expect it until recently) which removed the Scanner driver and prevents its proper installation.

If I try and install it as a wired printer and then switch it to a wireless connection, the drivers have to be reinstalled and at the end I get an error message as in the uploaded filr

Attached Files:

7. 2018/04/06
    retiredlearner

My HP 3630 MFP came with a installation disc and when I went to install the software to my Laptop, I'm pretty sure that the USB cable had to be connected to enable the software to install as a Wireless connection.
    I don't think you mentioned what 'Brand' your printer was, but if you have a disc with the software/drivers it should tell you how to install as a wireless connection.

8. 2018/04/07
    boutells

It is an older printer so the disc is out of date hence using the latest download from Canon which replicates what would be on a current disc. As I said, this installs properly when connected by a USB cable but I am unable to get the scanner driver installed for wifi use.

9. 2018/04/07
    retiredlearner