1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

RegSeeker beta v1.45

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by charlesvar, 2005/05/14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/05/17
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

BTW James

You seem to insist on condemming a certain piece of software.

My turn.

The thread that you poined to also points to what I think to be one of the WORST OS that your Sons' Employer ever invented.

rebecca

I just saw your reply while I am writing here.

But from the quick Glance through it " I am with you all the way. "

Especially where you mention OTHER ME users have the same or similiar problem.

For the ONE WEEK that I tried ME I also had the same problem. ( with updates etc. )

Thank you for juming in

BillyBob

2. 2005/05/17

BillyBob Inactive

Something else that may come into play here.

What type of machine is the software being used on ?

If it is like a DELL, Compaq, HP etc. then something like RegSeeker may well not work properly. Because many if them may have a Customized OEM version of Windows which may well create problems for stuff like RegSeeker.

But that still does not make the basic software itself bad. It is then just like any other software might be. " Not suitable for that machine. "

BillyBob

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/05/17
    James

James Inactive

Billy Bob, I don't think you really understand me. I'm sorry if I've taken up so much bandwidth and cast aspersions that you happen to take in a personal manner. I can assure you, I did not nor do I mean anything of a personal nature. It's software... just software. It's all relatively unimportant to me in the greater scheme of things and that's why your posts truly mystify me. Surely you will recognize that not all people see things from an identical perspective. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the greater majority of persons in the MS forum look askance at the use of registry cleaners. Are they all fools? Are they all operating from vested interests? I seriously doubt that. Look... can't we just agree to disagree and leave the personal comments aside? We might even learn to appreciate one another... who can say? :)

Rebecca: thanks for your input. I appreciate your taking the time to bring me up-to-date on the February incident. I also appreciate your sharing your views regarding the need to exercise some caution. You're right, of course... we're not all the same. Different strokes I guess is the order of the day.

All right... at the risk of wasting more bandwidth, I'll exit this discussion. Best wishes to all. :)

5. 2005/05/17
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni Thread Starter

James, if you have more points to make, please make them. I don't think BillyBob means anything personally, that's just his way of making his points.

"Wasting bandwith" is subjective, and I don't think you're wasting any, as irdreed commented, this thread turned into a great thread IMO as well; little did I know that this would happen when I made the initial post :) but that's one of the great things about this site.

Steve great tool (RegShot) - have been looking for an easy way to do that.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2005/05/17
  6. 2005/05/17
    James

James Inactive

Thanks, Charles.

No, I've nothing more to add. Besides, it's time to get the laundry folded! :)

7. 2005/05/17

BillyBob Inactive

If you wish to take it as personal then be my guest. But it is NOT meant that way.

You swear by the Cons.

I swear by the Pros.

Steve R Jones

I have found the same thing about CHANGED enteries. I myself found that to be a bit educational as far as LEARNING BY DOING goes.

I have also found that what I deleted today may well be back tomorrow.

And by watching the changes and TRYING :) trying to keep track of what programs I have been running may give me some idea who was doing what.

BillyBob

8. 2005/05/17

BillyBob Inactive

charlesvar

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I was a bit out of line when I mentioned Time Wasting.

And I do apoligize for that because overall it is not wasted.

But I will admit that I am a bit upset with James for getting the word Personal into something that is/was not meant to be.

Gotta go get the mail
    BillyBob

Last edited: 2005/05/17
  9. 2005/05/17
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Here's a useful reg tweak:

Regedit stays expanded

"When I open regedit and expand a folder and open regedit later the folder stays expanded. how can I disable this? "

In regedit, navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit and look for the value LastKey.

Double-click it and clear the string.
    Then right-click the Regedit key (in the lefthand pane) and select Permissions.

Set Permissions to Deny for any/all users/groups.
    Voila!

10. 2005/05/17
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I actually like that behaviour when I'm checking a certain entry for changes and want to go back repeatedly.

If I don't want to go back, before closing regedit, I highlight "any key" in the left hand panel and hit shift-home. Now "My computer" will be highlighted and the registry will collapse.

Christer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.