1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

re-install xp pro missing asms file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bigal, 2011/04/05.

1. 2011/04/05
    bigal

bigal Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Tried to re-install xp pro was ok till 39 mins left then dialogue box came up.
    The file asms on windows xp professional service pack 2cd is needed type the path where the file is located and then click ok.Copy files from GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROMO\I386.This path is useless.If I try recovery wants admin password which if I did know iv'e forgotten.Things told to do in registry delete upper and lower filters.Which I did.Try changing boot order.Which I did.
    Disconnect cdrom .Which I did.Nothing helped.I could get to where I could chose what the operating system was but was informed if I went any further I could lose everything which is something I don't want to do.There are programs I need on the computer.What I need is the path for the asms can you help?

bigal

2. 2011/04/05
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If you tried to reinstall XP Pro, you would loose everything you have on your HD anyways. Now a Repair is a different story. How did you try to do this? Why did you want to do this anyways? Having a problem with something?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/04/05
    bigal

bigal Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I was having a problem with the cdrom.If when I put the operating disk in it had come up repair I would have attempted a repair.The disk went right into installation mode so I just carried on up till there was only 39 minutes left.According to what came up in the dialogue box, if I could find the right path it would continue and finish the job.

5. 2011/04/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi, I had the same problem when doing an install of XP and the file ASMS is in the i386 file in your CD.
    If you open your XP CD and look for i386 and copy it to the C:\ then you can point to it when setup asks for it.
    Cheers Neil.
    ps. I'm being rushed by the wife at the moment so I hope I've given you the right info.

6. 2011/04/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Another suggestion which I tried was to hit Shift+F10 when the asms error appears. This loads the Command Prompt. At this point type the command MSCDEXNT.EXE or MSCDEX.EXE
    Once the file loads you will notice your CD drive will start to awaken and read data. Neil.

7. 2011/04/06
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff