1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Question about paging files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by parks5855, 2015/11/11.

1. 2015/12/05
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

AVG Ultimate Features
    http://www.avg.com/us-en/compare-ultimate

I do a lot of work on client and friend computers and usually remove their AVG because it tends to slow down systems. On a brand spanking new system with tons of RAM, latest 8 core CPU and solid state drive, AVG is fine. But IMHO it's not worth the bytes. Just my opinion.

For these friends and clients of mine I usually just use Windows Security Essentials ( called Windows Defender & built into Windows 8) and the built in Windows firewall.

The reason I shy away from these jumbo all-in-one security software is because no software can stop all malware and viruses. Some are better than others, but unless the person using the computer is educated in safe computing practices, they will always get malware and viruses, without exception.

Windows Security Essentials/Defender and Windows firewall, coupled with common sense is plenty to stave off 99% of security threats.

Steve R Jones likes this.
  2. 2015/12/06
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The more defence shields you have up, the harder it is for someone to get in.

Firewalls - A firewall establishes a barrier between a trusted, secure internal network and another network (e.g., the Internet) that is assumed not to be secure and trusted. Firewalls exist both as a hardware appliance and as a software solution. If at all possible, you want both:

• Many routers contain built-in firewall components that help protect your network from the public internet network.
    • Windows' software firewall helps protect your computer against internet intruders as well as from other computers on your own network.

Anti-Virus software mainly helps protect against computer viruses. The best of the bunch currently is Trend Micro.

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (anti-malicious software) helps protect you from new online threats that an antivirus can't detect. (The paid version automatically keeps a watchful eye out and keeps itself updated for you).

MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit watches for exploits from compromising vulnerable code.

CCleaner is an easy to use one click cleaner, with other helpful tools for advanced users.

WinPatrol detects and helps prevent changes to important Windows settings, and much more.

SpywareBlaster helps prevent the installation of spyware and other potentially unwanted software.

Windows Updates are extremely important. To load the Windows Update App on Windows 7, click Start, type in wuapp and press [Enter]. In Windows 8, from the start (Metro) screen simply type wuapp and press [Enter].

Secunia's PSI (Personal Security Inspector) helps keep track of non-Microsoft programs that need to be updated.

And for advanced users, Microsoft's EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) anti-hack tool helps raise the bar against attackers gaining access to computer systems.

Steve R Jones likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/12/08
    parks5855

parks5855 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Couldn't agree more with this philosophy! My firewall, antivrus, and part of my spyware defense is ZA Extreme Security Suite. I am running MalwareBytes Anti Malware Home Premium. I am not running MalwareBytes Anti Exploit......unless it's part of the Home Premium product. I use and run CC Cleaner every time I shut down. I also have an Internet Options shortcut on my desktop and upon shutdown I tell it to delete all browsing tracks. I don't have Win Patrol. But I do run and keep updated Spyware Blaster. I also run Iolo System Mechanic and Uniblues Registry Booster to keep up on pc maintenance issues.
    I tried uninstalling ZA and switching to AVG, this wiped out the driver for my wired Ethernet so I couldn't get online any more. So I remounted that most recent Acronis image and now I'm back to semi-normal. I ran a full virus scan, clean, and a malware scan, clean again. Since then I ran msconfig and under the systems tab selected "hide all Microsoft systems" and then shut down pretty much everything that was left except Zone Alarm, and other things that NEEDED to be on. Since doing this my pc seems to have stabilized. It's been a couple of days now with no BSOD's, and before it was literally every time I turned it on, sometimes it would blue screen even before it could boot up. So now I guess the plan is that about a week at a time I'm going to add back services until the trouble starts again....hopefully this way I can find the culprit. Thanks everybody for the help.....I'll let you know when I have further results......either good or bad. Brian:D

5. 2015/12/09
    parks5855

Here we go again!

Well that didn't take long. Had just booted up my pc and it was sitting there idle on my desktop...doing nothing, while I was reading a short magazine article. Next thing I know, out of the corner of my eye, what do I see but the good old page fault BSOD once again. The way I see it I now only have 2 options left. 1. Do a clean and total uninstall of ZA. Which then leaves me in need of a firewall/anti-virus. Does anyone know anything about this free version of Comodo? I'm usually very leary of "free" things on the net. Worried about spyware, addware, etc. So, is Comodo safe and effective? Otherwise I'm left with option two...the dreaded full reinstall of Windows and rebuilding my pc from scratch. I don't know what else I could try. Except maybe going down to the coast and throwing this in the ocean......just kidding.......I think. Thanks, Brian

6. 2015/12/09
    SpywareDr

7. 2015/12/09
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Well, I use Comodo on computers that are far from state of the art. They have been "inherited" from a company and have been running WinXP and FireFox. Comodo is light on the resources and performs most of its tasks in the background, when the computer is idling. So far, we have been safe from infections and if anything, it is too eager to warn you of "dodgy processes" that actually are legit.

Go Google on "Comodo Internet Security" to see what people have to say.

By the way,

There are payed versions ... :cool: ... providing increased protection!

8. 2015/12/11
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Trust in yourself. Just try using Windows firewall for a few days or a week instead of one of those all-in-one security packages. See what happens. I mean, see if the bsods continue or not. It will be a safe thing to try. No firewall can prevent comp infections from a malicious Web page that exploits known vulnerabilities.

The major use of a software firewall is preventing undesirable OUTBOUND traffic anyway. Thus if you believe your comp to be free of malware, then there's nothing to fear.

9. 2015/12/12
    parks5855

Thanks, you guys are the best for trying to help!

Unfortunately not long after doing a clean uninsatall of ZA and installing comodo once again page fault in non paged area BSOD. So I'm going to go through the pain of mounting a disk image that's over a year old....the first one I made after creating the dual boot so it has both the 32 bit and the 64 systems on it. I wasn't having problems like this back then. I got the occasional BSOD but nothing like now. Problem is I have to find and then migrate everything that's new since then to another drive and then once the old disk image is mounted move it all back....headache....oh well. The ONLY other thing I could do I don't know how to do. A clean install of Win 7 32 bit without messing up the partition and loosing my 64 bit stuff. I don't even know if that can be done. So wish me luck...I'm gonna need it. Brian :eek:

10. 2015/12/12
    Christer

You can't install two operating systems on the same drive. Your dual boot had Win7 32 bit on one partition and Win7 64 bit on another, right?

11. 2015/12/12
    parks5855

"You can't install two operating systems on the same drive. Your dual boot had Win7 32 bit on one partition and Win7 64 bit on another, right?"
    Nope, they are on the same physical drive.
    Win 32 partition C 86.8GB free of 243 GB
    Win 64 partition F 161 GB free of 221 GB
    243 + 221 = 464 of a 500 GB drive
    my 4 other physical hardrives are all accounted for 1 TB drive shows 931 GB, 500 GB drive shows 465 GB, my other 500 GB drive shows 465 GB, and finally my 3 TB drive shows 2.72 TB so as you can see my 500 GB primary C drive was partitioned and I allotted 221 GB for my 64 bit OS. Also when I restore from an Acronis disk image I have to select the physical drive to restore to....I only select one and it wipes the partition and restores both OS's. I am no computer expert I just looked up online how to create a dual boot system and followed the instructions. Brian

12. 2015/12/13
    parks5855

Resolved

Not really resolved I'm just giving up and moving on. I've tried everything possible and now it's time to get drastic. thanks, Brian

13. 2015/12/13
    Christer

Okey, maybe I misused the word "drive" but you have installed it as I expected, on two different partitions on the same HDD.

14. 2015/12/13
    SpywareDr

15. 2015/12/13
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you re-seated your Graphics card and/or tried another Monitor? Neil.

16. 2015/12/14
    parks5855

Close the thread???

Hey guys, I don't know how to mark this as resolved and close the thread. Anyone know how and if I need to do this? Thanks, Brian

17. 2015/12/14
    SpywareDr