1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

PS/2 keyboard fails to start (Code 10)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gideon, 2011/03/06.

1. 2011/03/10
    Gideon

Gideon Inactive Thread Starter

This pc had a viral infection for a while but never caused this problem. I had it looked at by Broni in malware removal and it got a clean bill of health. Broni said that he didn't believe the virus had anything to do with the keyboard not working.

I have checked and it does have a yellow ! next to it.
    I definitely don't want to reformat, I have too many important files and not enough resources to back them all up. I'm sure there has to be a solution other than just dropping a nuke on the whole thing.

2. 2011/03/10
    Gideon

I have looked at numerous forums and all of them ended up the same way, kind of like this where multiple people came up with tons of ideas and typically the thread just dead ended with no solution.

The pc ran for years using a p2 keyboard and a usb mouse, now I have the capability of both; I have a usb keyboard and a usb mouse at the moment. I have tried changing several settings in bios but nothing.

I don't know how to update bios via flash, so I would need some direction there. If I try to boot without either, It stops on boot and notifies me that I have neither plugged in and need to plug in the keyboard.:confused:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/03/11
    Blade Runner

Blade Runner Inactive

You say you have "too many important files "......

I'm going to stand on my soapbox here for a second and tell you that backups are always good to have. Regardless of this incident with your keyboard/virus, you should ALWAYS have a backup of your files. If they are so important to you that you don't want to lose them, then it is worth the time to take a few minutes out of your day to have a backup. Hard drives are the single #1 most common items to fail inside a computer. Just because your hard drive hasn't crashed yet doesn't mean that it won't. The day that it crashes is the day you'll sorely regret not having a backup of your most important files.

Do you not have a CD or DVD burner? Unless your computer is some sort of an ancient dinosaur, I have a hard time believing you're using a PC without some sort of a burner. A 50-pack of CD-R here in my area costs $10 (on sale). Probably $15 regular price. If it were me, and these are so called "important" files to have, then I would skip a few lunches or beers and spend that money on some sort of backup media. I can tell you from all the years I've worked as a tech - I've had customers practically cry and be very dismayed when their hard drives crashed with NO backup.

Enough of my preaching.

About your keyboard issue, I think a complete format & reinstall is probably your quickest (best) solution. But since you don't want to format -- it's not an option. Besides, you don't have the isntllation CD anyways. If you did somehow manage to get a legit copy of Windows XP, you could try doing a repair (which is not so preferable) -- I would first try running sfc first. Start | Run > "sfc /scannow" (with no quotes). All of this is a moot point because you don't have a XP CD. Life would be much simpler for you if you had the XP CD or the restore disc that came with the computer.

OK......so who or what is Broni?? Since I am new here, it would help if you specified who "Broni in malware" is. Also keep in mind that getting a "clean bill of health" using 1 A/V scanner doesn't mean the system is clean. I've seen systems so badly infected that I've had to use a few different tools (anti-virus software) to clean it up.

Last edited: 2011/03/11
  5. 2011/03/11
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hello bladerunner,

Broni is a highly respected, precious and much appreciated Windowsbbs board member. He has been professionally trained in the removal of virus/malware and is an expert in his field. He spends most of time in what we call the "Dungeon" aka malware virus forum. Don't know what we'd do without him but if he says a comp is clean the comp is clean.

This site or what we like to call "Aries house" only allows trained members to address and help infected members in the "dungeon ".

Welcome to the windowsbbs. You are very lucky to have found or stumbled upon this site. What a treat you are in for. Kick off your shoes and stay a while make your self at home. I am sure after you become familiar with who and how this site works and the TLC members are given and give each other, you will love it.

6. 2011/03/11
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Broni is our highly respected and highly competent Malware Analyst and to suggest .....
    is somewhat insulting.

I suggest you research the BBS and visit the Malware & Virus Removal forum before commenting in this manner.

7. 2011/03/11
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

OK, lets review this:

3/3: Infected. You are running BitTorrent on a Windows XP SP2 (= no longer supported & insecure system)

4/16/10: infected. Running BitTorrent (SP2 = out of date)

Seems your activities have caught up with you. Good chance some system files or registry entries got altered/deleted which will require a repair or clean install.

Suggest you acquire a (legit) copy of Windows XP and install Service Pack 3 & stop using P2P since you don't seem to recognize the risks involved.

8. 2011/03/11
    Blade Runner

Blade Runner Inactive

And I could say the same for your comments PeteC. Why don't you try elaborating on that. In no way did I make any derogatory comments towards Broni. Any interpretation otherwise is on your part - not mine.

I also don't have the time or inclination to research EVERY single member to see what he/she does on this board. The onus on the OP to explain himself properly which is why I asked who or what "Broni in malware" means. If Broni has helped countless members here - that's fantastic! I enjoy seeing competent techs helping others - I learn new things from them. But for you to accuse me of being insulting without legitimate proof itself insulting. In fact, I take offense to your comments. In fact, I don't even like the way you addressed me on this board as I am a new member and I don't even know who is what. I asked a legitimate question.

Arie's comment is on the money. The OP's activities have definitely caught up with him. And it would have helped certainly if he had explained who Broni is or explained his participation here seeing as though I just joined the forum.

9. 2011/03/11
    Gideon

First I would like to say that I completely respect your knowledge and experience Arie and I mean no disrespect, but I believe you may have jumped the gun a little on this one.

I do have a legit copy of windows XP and sp3 was supposed to have been installed last week after Broni and I finished with our business, though I could have gone wrong somewhere in installing it, witch is why I'm here. If you look at my last thread I asked for help with installing updates properly.

If there is anything I can do for you to verify that I have a legitimate copy of windows XP I would be more than happy to volunteer any information necessary for you to verify that I am indeed using a legitimate copy.

As for Blade Runner, I think you are speaking out of turn and don't seem to be offering anything to this thread except assumptions uneducated guesses.

Is there any chance I could get some direction on what steps I need to take next to resolve this issue?

10. 2011/03/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

To rule out any OS or Malware issue I'd try booting from a Live OS cd (eg Ubuntu). Set your system to boot from CD in the BIOS do not rely on any other 3rd party boot managers.

If your keyboards still fail to work it's a hardware/firmware issue.

How many USB keyboards have you tried?

11. 2011/03/11
    Gideon

At the moment I have tried only 1 USB keyboard, it is a mac keyboard but it worked just fine when I plugged it into my Vista laptop. I am trying to get a hold of a PC keyboard but it might take a little time.

Once I download Ubuntu, do I need to put that on a disc and boot from that disc?

After reading Arie's comment I am wondering if I made a mistake when installing SP3. I made a thread a couple of days ago asking about a notice I get when installing updates. The message says something to the effect that all components couldn't be installed and then it lists a few items. Could this be an issue?

Thanks for the help Wildfire.

12. 2011/03/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Gideon,

I'm only going to concentrate on the keyboard issues, I really don't have time to dig out any other threads with the Malware/OS problems you've had.

Regarding Ubuntu yes you'll need to burn to a disk and boot from that disk (instructions are included in the link I provided, perhaps reading rather than blindly clicking would help ;))

You may want to try a PC USB keyboard though they're not that expensive it could be that your PS/2 port is fubar after all and the mac keyboard is incompatible with your system.

That still doesn't explain why the keyboards are working at the BIOS level though. :confused:

13. 2011/03/11
    Gideon

Making the Ubuntu disc now....

14. 2011/03/11
    Gideon

Ok I was able to boot from CD. I take it that this means a hardware or firmware issue?

15. 2011/03/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Gideon,

If you're going to ask advice on these boards at least have the decency to read what's offered.

Did the keyboard work in Ubuntu?

16. 2011/03/11
    Gideon

No it did not work. I'm sorry I should have been more informative. I might have missed a step.

I am very sorry to frustrate you, this is not my intention. I have always scored very low in reading comprehension and still struggle with it. Again I do apologize. I'm going to go over and over the steps until I completely understand it.

17. 2011/03/11
    Gideon

I figured out the problem. This computer has a lot of old components and it appears that the CD rom drive is not reading. I would assume this is why I am not being prompted by Ubuntu.

I'm going to go and grab a USB stick and a USB keyboard...

18. 2011/03/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

:confused:
    May I suggest you read and reply to posts more carefully, earlier you posted...

Which completely contradicts your post above, have you made any other incorrect statements in this thread?

19. 2011/03/11
    Gideon

You might be giving me credit for knowing more than I do. Ok, this is how it goes. I set the the CD rom to boot first, second is the hard drive.

What I assume happened is once the CD rom failed to boot the computer moved on and booted from the hard drive. With my inexperience and lack of knowledge in my CD rom failure, I assumed that the computer booted from the CD drive.

I have never used Ubuntu and from my experience with Broni, I have been asked to do many things that to me appear to have done nothing, so when I didn't see anything out of the ordinary I didn't question it.

And yes it's quite possible that I have made incorrect statements, I haven't ever had this problem before.

20. 2011/03/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Ok fair enough,

Let's wait until you get a replacement keyboard (and probably a new optical drive) and take it from there.

In the meantime, a word in your ear. If you're not sure about anything, it's best to ask for clarification rather than guess. You won't be judged for lack of knowledge, and that is not implying you're an idiot I know a few highly paid professionals who still look for the any key ;)

21. 2011/03/12
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Right. You said you didn't have XP:

As to SP3, that has been out since April 2008, so you are nearly 3 years late.