1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Problems with a wireless connection]

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Forsaken Knight, 2013/02/22.

1. 2013/02/22
    Forsaken Knight

Forsaken Knight Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Okay, I need some help when it comes to wireless connection.

I go over to my sister's house to look after things and she is completely fine with me on her network. The thing is. I use a direct connection to my laptop at home. Its fine there. When I take my laptop over to my sister's house, and I connect automatically to her wireless router, it works fine for like the first and second day. Then the connect gets so low that I don't know what to do anymore.

First, Its a netgear router. I am allowed to, and can get into the router to view/edit the settings. When I try to connect to it with my laptop to see if that will work, at the same time, pressing the icon to have it detect the WPS doesn't pick up my laptop. I'm able to automatically connect to the wireless though.

I would like to know how I can get the netgear router to manually connect to my laptop. When I try this, on my laptop, it tells me that there is already a network and to use that. The thing is, I can connect to it, but the signal is so low its freaking rediculous.

I know the connection can be strong, because when I click on the wps icon, or turn off and turn back on the router and modem, the connect strength shown on my laptop is 54 mbps. It does drop to 18, and then to 11, and sometimes down to 5.5 or 1, mbps. I do not know why it starts out strong and then dies down. I also do not know why it is strong signal when I press the wps icon, but the router never detects the laptop so the connection conks out and I'm back to a simple connection that is weak.

What I want help is to figure out how to configure the netgear wireless settings to reconize my laptop and give it the best signal strength.

I would also like to know where is the "utility GUI" on a laptop, how to find it, and how to set up the router to reconize my laptop and give it the best strength it can of a signal.

Again, I don't know why it does this. It does this at all times of the day. Therefore, I want it to be consistant. I want when I walk into the home, open up my laptop, and fully log in, that the wireless signal is strong.

I would like to fix this issue once and for all.

Thank you to all whom will help me out. I look forward to fixing this issue once and for all.

2. 2013/02/22
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Open Network & Sharing Center and manage wifi networks. Delete any connections for sister's wlan. Then setup the connection manually.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/04/03
    Forsaken Knight

Forsaken Knight Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I got it resolved.

What I did was turn off the wireless router, and stationary desktop pc, and my laptop, and the tv, at my sister's place. I then unplugged all devices (well the laptop is wireless so no need there), and waited some time. I then reconnected everything and started up the desktop pc first and my laptop along with it, in synchronize with the modem and the router being re-plugged and turned back on. As I have the desktop pc connect first to the net, I then check the laptop pc. This isn't always work, but it was rather close to always. The connection strength for the laptop pc would be at the best I could possibly think for. No one on the game I was playing at the time could tell that I was on a wireless signal due to wireless having issues with the game I was playing at the time. As such, this method worked the best. I didn't need to redo the connection from scratch, and it worked out fine. One thing though, If I put my laptop on hibernate, there was no guarantee the connection would be that good when I took my laptop out of hibernation to reconnect to that wireless signal. So, with that said, I didn't mind leaving it on for 24 or 48 hours even, but a break is a break and I don't like pushing things past how far they can go.

So, in a way, this solved the issue I was having. Thank you for replying, if this issue comes up again, I'll try starting the network connection from scratch at my sister's place on my laptop instead of this method first. Hopefully, something will be permanently fixed so that the wireless signal there will know to recognize my laptop and always give it the best connection possible when ever I bring it there.

thanks for the help.