1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Problems exist triggered by Windows Defender notification

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Barry, 2023/12/29.

1. 2024/01/10
    Barry

Barry Geek Member Thread Starter

Though my computer is working fine, I still was unable to enter safe mode on this computer. I attempted to use it to install my Adobe Creative Suite, as it doesn't seem to be loading properly. I finally figured out how to enter safe mode, though, Microsoft's installing program doesn't work in safe mode, so that didn't help me install this program. Here is how to easily get into safe mode:

Step 1:Type Msconfig in the Start menu search box

Step 2: Switch to the Boot tab by clicking on the same. Under the Boot options section, check the box labeled Safe boot and then select between Minimal, Alternative shell, Active Directory, and Network.

Step 3: Click the Apply button. Click OK. When you see the following prompt with Restart and Exit without restart buttons, click Restart if you want to immediately restart and boot into the Safe mode. Click the Exit without restart button if you want to restart and boot into Safe mode when you restart your PC for the next time.

This is always on or off, so to get out of safe mode, it needs to be reversed (unchecking the box labeled Safe boot).

2. 2024/01/12
    Barry

My computer needed to update Microsoft office. Now it says something happened and your pin isn't available. Click to set up your pin again. Yet nothing happens when I click to set up my pin, and it says my password is incorrect. When I click on power, it still says update and shut down and update and restart. How can I get this computer to start up properly?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2024/01/12
    Barry

After resetting my computer, I started reinstalling programs. After reinstalling Microsoft office, I was told updates needed to take place and my computer would restart. Something got messed up, and my pin wasn't working. My password also doesn't work. I can get into troubleshooting, but everything requires an administrator password, and that doesn't work. I went into bios to advanced and changed to a different operating system on a different drive. That didn't work, and now nothing is operable when I return to bios. My up down arrows don't work. I can't even reset my computer again without an administrator password. What can I do?

5. 2024/01/12
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Once in a while, I will be asked for a password after an update and to log in. I don't have a password. I just reboot the computer and then it will just go ahead to the OS.

6. 2024/01/12
    Barry

I've tried that, but everything I've tried takes me to pin needs to be reset and either my or administrator password. I even tried to reset it to a Win10 ISO, but I'm told I need to input the password. I even reset my administrator password after I reset this OS, yet that doesn't work. I believe this has something to do with a bad Microsoft office update, as every time I attempt to restart the computer or shut it down, I'm given the option to choose update and restart or update and shutdown.

7. 2024/01/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

What happens when you select one of the UPDATE options?

8. 2024/01/13
    Barry

I've tried them both. If I tell it to update and shut down, it just shuts down. If I tell it to update and restart, it just restarts.

What if I disconnect all drives and connect a 250gb HDD. Would I be able to install my Windows 10 ISO on the new HDD and then reconnect the other drives after shutting down the computer, so I can access the other drives?

My son is sending me new components to build a new computer. I'd like to wipe my present SSD and use it to install Windows 11 on the new computer. I'd like to keep the old computer as backup. How do you recommend I do this. I have windows xp floppy discs available.

9. 2024/01/13
    Barry

Here are the discs I have.
    6 disc xp boot
    Xp quick boot
    98se boot
    Me boot
    Boot.ini select partition
    2 disc partition magic rescue
    Partition recovery boot
    McAfee recovery disc
    Surfside recovery disc
    Seagate disc wizard starter edition version 10.50
    QikFix zip file
    QikFix
    Silicon image 3114 says raid driver diskette rev. 001

I have a floppy drive installed, but it's been too long for me to remember what does what.

10. 2024/01/13
    Barry

That was SATA RAID, not says raid. I hate spell check.

11. 2024/01/13
    Barry

I also found 8 discs from my father's xp computer labeled reformat before using.

12. 2024/01/13
    Barry

In looking closer, the 8 discs are labeled rescue discs with instructions to reformat before using.

13. 2024/01/13
    Barry

I also found some CDs.
    Western digital data lifeguard tools version 11.1 for drive installation and diagnostics

Ultimate boot CD

Win XP w/SP3

Seagate disc utility CD with Sea Tools and DiscWizard

14. 2024/01/13
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Spell check makes crazy mistakes or is that misteaks? :mad::rolleyes:

I don't think I would use XP. To old and no updates and you will leave that PC wide open for bad stuff.

15. 2024/01/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Last edited: 2024/01/13
  16. 2024/01/13
    Barry

Everything seems to require administrator password. If you read my other post about not being able to log into Windows 10, you'll see I'm locked out of everything, safe mode and bios. I only have a Windows 10 ISO, so I don't think it's bootable. Maybe one of the discs I mentioned on that post might allow me to boot up. Not having another computer, I can't download any other data. Please let me know how I can wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

17. 2024/01/13
    Barry

I have win 8.1 installed on another drive in the computer, but I don't know how to access it. Maybe I can disconnect my SSD and see if I'm allowed to access that drive.

18. 2024/01/14
    Barry

My memory apparently has come back a little. I realized my son's old college Vista OS laptop is still here. I made a bootable Windows 10 flashdrive and used it to wipe my SSD and then install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Now I'm just busy reinstalling programs, but all looks fine. I'm finding two glitches so far. Microsoft Word goes through the configuration process every time I load a Word document, and I haven't been able to load Adobe CS3, even using their CS5 cleaning tool. Thanks for the help.

19. 2024/01/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Barry, When you are re-installing programs, do you install one at a time?
    Install a program and then SHUT down and REBOOT each time?
    Are you installing with only the necessary drive connected?
    Are you using a 3rd party AV program?
    No peripheral units plugged in to USB connectors?

20. 2024/01/15
    Barry

I believe I rebooted, but I can't honestly remember. All my drives are connected, as some files need to be on my OS SSD and others go to my HDD for programs and documents. I don't have a 3rd party AV program. Nothing is plugged into USB connectors. I can't seem to remove all the Adobe files after uninstalling. Maybe if I could get rid of the old Adobe files, the program could be loaded properly. There are some ActiveX dlls I can't remove from my OS SSD programs/Common files. I also can't get rid of Acrobat on my HDD, and other empty Adobe folders keep showing up.

21. 2024/01/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The main thing when installing MS OS, is to just have minimal drives and sometimes if using a USB drive and MCT, it pays to disconnect your Internet connection until its installed.
    I hope you get your Acrobat sorted out.