1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

problem with outlook to send email with attachment(excel)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by discuss99, 2009/10/12.

1. 2009/10/12
    discuss99

discuss99 Inactive Thread Starter

problem with outlook 2003 to send email with attachment(excel)

I have problem as above.

I found that when I send a attachment(excel) file using outlook,
    let say I send it to myself, after it send. The file in both "send folder "
    and inbox(receive), are being modify(header).

Sometimes i will go a message "unable to read the file ".

I use a notepad to check the file which I attached and the file which I received. the first 3 rows are different.

It seems the error is cause by the outlook which amended the hearder of attachment when sent to excel file out.

It(unable to read) not always happen, it happen just around 1/20 for a particular excel file. However, each time 100%, the excel file which sent
    are being modificed by outlook...how come? how to avoid outlook changed it?

Last edited: 2009/10/12
  2. 2009/10/23
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'Day discuss99,

You said that you are sending the excel file as an attachment, OK is the excel file still open (being used) while you are sending it ?

I know you said you are sending it as an "attachment ", how are you doing this and are you sure you are not sending it as a 'Link" ?

This could also be a update issue, What service pack is your Microsoft Office 2003 at ?
    Installing SP2 should have solved that problem.

pcbugfixer ;)

Last edited: 2009/10/23

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/10/28
    discuss99

I have closed the excel file, and then using outlook
    function "insert file" to attach the excel.

However, sometimes the send file will become unreadable.

I have already updated office.

5. 2009/10/28
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'Day discuss99,

Other interferences of successfully sending lager emails, i.e. with large attachments is mostly caused by Anti-Virus programs that interface with the outlook 2003 and scan the email as it is being sent (scans all outgoing emails) which also effects the Server Timeouts setting in the email account you are using.

Located in E-Mail Accounts -> (choose an account name) -> click "Change" -> click on "More Settings" -> click on "Advanced" tab and you will see the 'Server Timeouts' which by default is set to 1 Minute (marker close to 'short'

1st check your Anti-virus setting for outgoing mail and temporarily disable it, then increase the Server Timeouts to 3 minutes (remember after the test to set this back to 1 minute !!) and now open your Outlook 2003 and send the same email and large excel attachment again. If it goes out OK, close Outlook 2003.

Then re-establish the Anti-virus scan setting for outgoing mail and again send the same email.

If this fails, we know what the main cause is, the Anti-Virus taking too long to scan the outgoing email.

If however it does go out successfully, leave the setting in the Server Timeouts at 2 minutes and continue using outlook 2003 as usual.

Let me know how you go.

BTW what SP is Office 2003 on your PC ? - should be SP3 - has multiple levels of updates to run i.e. run the Microsoft Update" several time until none remain!

pcbugfixer ;)

Last edited: 2009/10/28
  6. 2009/10/28
    dariene

dariene Inactive

I used to have this problem.

But i forgot how to fix it,sorry.

7. 2009/11/11
    discuss99

from advanced tab, I can see "cached exchange mode setting "

and offline folder file settings only.