1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Problem with Norton Ghost v.9.0

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Alpha_and_Omega, 2005/12/05.

1. 2005/12/05
    Alpha_and_Omega

Alpha_and_Omega Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've been trying to copy a hard drive that I know is has a good chance of crashing shortly with Norton Ghost V9.0.

What i'm trying to do exactly is take an exact copy of the C:\ drive and put it onto a new drive that will become the C:\ drive.....

I've used Norton before (many times) and never experienced this pronblem.... the error I am getting reads:

"Description: An error occurred creating a backup of drive C:\. The Virtual Volume Imaging driver (pqv2i.sys) is not present on the system.
    Error EC8F000C: Cannot find the Virtual Volume Image driver. Error 00000002: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Details: Unspecified error

Source: Norton Ghost 9.0 "

I've checked with Symantecs website and checked the errors mentioned and it just says to disable other disk utilities or uninstall the reinstall ghost....

First, I don't have any other disk utilities running at all and as for uninstalling
    then re-installing, I did that aswell, but I still get the very same error...

The file "pqv2i.sys" that is says is not on the system, actually is on the system in the windows\system32 dir so I know it is there....

When sending an email to Symantec's support, they tell exactly what was said when I looked up the error codes about disk utilities and re-installing..

Can anyone help with this problem.... I really need to replace the drive....

BTW the reason, if you wonder why I think the drive is going to crash is because its been making an awful lot of noise, like squealing, lately.....

2. 2005/12/06
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

That file pqv2i was also in DriveImage (before PowerQuest was bought by Symantec). I don't run DriveImage any longer (I now use Acronis TruImage) but it seem that v2i used to run as a 'Service'. Check to make sure the service is started (if it's there). Right-click 'MyComputer', select 'Manage'. Select 'Services' from the directory tree. Then try to copy the drive again. If not you may have to try the reinstall.

B :cool:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/12/06
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I have no answer to your question but try the link in my signature to RADIFIED Forums. They are usually quick to respond and know their stuff. (I'm not saying that people here aren't and don't ...... ;) ...... !)

Christer

5. 2005/12/06
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

It should have the ability to run from a boot disk (boot floppy or CD). Do the imaging from there (the only way I do it, simple but effective).

Maybe I am missing something :confused:
    Matt

6. 2005/12/06
    Christer

Hi Matt!

I have never used neither Ghost 9 nor Ghost 10 but from what I've read, I'm 99% sure that Ghost 9/10 can not be run from "Ghost Boot Disks ". It has to be booted from the "recovery CD" to perform a disk-to-disk clone (or whatever it's called now-a-days).

Using Ghost 2003 ......:cool: ...... the procedure is easy!

Christer

7. 2005/12/06
    Alpha_and_Omega

Mr . B... I did as you suggested and there is no mention of the file Pqv2i.... unless ofcoarse its named in the services as "Norton Ghost "... then it is there... The service called Norton Ghost is the only mention of the program anywhere in the list and it does say it is running.....

I'm curious though about Windows "System Restore" ... could that be the problem or the reason why it will not copy (backup) one drive to the other...
    I keep turning it off but it keeps immediately turning itself back on....

And Christer, I agree everything I've read makes me 99% sure aswell that I must run it from the recovery cd....... In the docs for Ghost I don't remember
    it saying it could be run from "Ghost Boot Disks ".....

8. 2005/12/06
    Christer

Strange that System Destroy (sorry ...... :rolleyes: ...... Restore) turns itself back on. Usually, it is enough to uncheck the box in My Computer > Properties > System Restore but setting the service to "disabled" should make it stay that way.

Christer

9. 2005/12/06
    Alpha_and_Omega

Christer, I find it strange aswell that it keeps turning itself back on but then again so does "automatic updates" , "MicroSofts Firewall" and 2 or 3 other things..... even disables the network once in a while.....

BTW I don't know if this makes any difference to my question... but the computer I'm trying to use Ghost on is not connected to the internet.........

10. 2005/12/07
    Christer

Are you running any "malware protection software" in realtime mode? I don't but have noticed that Spybot S&D now checks for changes to some Windows settings, like the Security Center notifications. Maybe such software would prevent the user from making these changes, if running in realtime mode.

I don't see how the network could be disabled, though.

Christer