1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Problem Creating SeaMonkey Profile in a Partition

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by BOBBO, 2007/08/21.

1. 2007/08/21
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member Thread Starter

Ramona: In your Post #41 on page 2 of the other thread I started
    (http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=66903&page=2) you said:
    Did you mean I should click on that new shortcut's Properties and then click on the Shortcut tab? That's what I did. Then I added the -p to the target field, as you said, so it looks like this: E:\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -p

But then a problem arose (we seem to be having way too many of them).
    The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a SeaMonkey Profile Manager anywhere. Opening SM doesn't produce one. A Search for "seamonkey profile manager" in partition C:\ doesn't produce one except for the old Netscape 7.1. None found in partition E:\, either. Then I noticed that SeaMonkey doesn't appear anywhere in the Start listing. The program, including the seamonkey.exe file, is in partition E:\. Why doesn't it appear in Start? What's gone wrong now?

2. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

BOBBO,

Without sitting down at your computer, I have no way of knowing in detail what you've installed, uninstalled, or where. If you can't find a Profile, then I will have to assume there are none. Remember you received the error when you tried to create a Profile in E:, so maybe you've already deleted all SM Profiles? Let's hope so.

The only other way I know to access the SM Profile, is to click on:
    Tools | Switch Profile. If the Profile Manager is blank, and there is only the Netscape Profile in your folder here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles
    then uninstall SeaMonkey, and don't do anything else for now. We can start again tomorrow.

If you use a Registry Cleaner, then I would clear the Registry of any SeaMonkey keys. Let's start tomorrow with a clean slate.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

Hi BOBBO,

Have you uninstalled SM, deleted the SM Program Files folder, and is your Netscape 7.1 Profile intact?

5. 2007/08/22
    BOBBO

Ramona:
    Yep. Ready to roll.

6. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

O.K., let's "rock 'n roll" :D

Let's try to create a Profile on the E:\ drive again. Close Netscape, and Quick Launch (if you use that option).

Navigate to your Netscape Profiles folder

Move the entire Netscape Profiles folder to a temporary folder. This is only until after you install SeaMonkey, and create the SeaMonkey Profile. This will keep SeaMonkey from picking up the corrupt Netscape Profile.

Install SeaMonkey on E:\

Let me know when this is done.

7. 2007/08/22
    BOBBO

Ramona: It's done. Before I installed SM I moved the entire NS profile folder, as you suggested, to a new backup folder in C:\temp. I then installed SM 1.1.4 in partition E:\, and it's what I'm using now. But it already shows my NS 7.1 Bookmarks, Address Book, etc. Should it be doing that? I may need directions on creating a SM profile. I see in SM | Tools that the currently listed profile is my NS profile. Is that where I need to make a change?

8. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

BOBBO,

Hang on, we're going to do this in steps, so it isn't so overwhelming.

Do this next:

Create a Mozilla folder on the E:\ drive: E:\Mozilla
    Download, and then copy this registry.dat file in the E:\Mozilla folder. registry.dat

This file will separate SeaMonkey and Netscape in the registry.dat.
    This registry.dat file was created here: http://alain.knaff.lu/howto/MozillaCustomization/cgi/readMoz.cgi

9. 2007/08/22
    BOBBO

Ramona OK, did that. First, though, I did an Add/Remove job on that other SM install, believing it to have been corrupted. For some reason it never got into the E:\ partition, where I wanted it, either. I created the Mozilla folder in E:\ you wanted and also a SeaMonkey folder. Then I installed SM again, and this time it's where it belongs, in the new SM folder in partition E:\. Then I created a new profile for it, and it's what I'm using now. None of the NS preferences seem to have leaked in this time. I did download the registry.dat file and copied it into the E:\Mozilla folder.

So I think I'm ready to proceed. Step by step, as you wisely recommended. I have to go on a quick errand, so if I don't get back to you right away after your next post, that's why.

10. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

BOBBO,

You're getting ahead of me...

This is the next step I intended to post re: creating a new Profile:

Step 3.
    Create a Profiles folder on the E:\ drive: E:\Mozilla\Profiles

Create a SeaMonkey subfolder in the E:\Mozilla\Profiles folder:

E:\Mozilla\Profiles\SeaMonkey

Your new Profile will be created in the SeaMonkey folder:

E:\Mozilla\Profiles\SeaMonkey\newprofilename

So no error this time, and that's a double plus!

Now you are ready to copy Profile data from the Netscape 7.1 Profile to SeaMonkey. Please don't start yet, as I have the instructions ready for you. Just let me know when you've done the above.

11. 2007/08/22
    BOBBO

Ramona: OK, there's a lovely new E:\Mozilla\Profiles\SeaMonkey\my name folder all ready and waiting for us now.

12. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

Cool! :cool:

These are the files you want to copy from your Netscape Profile. Copy these files from the backup copy of your Profiles folder on the E:\ drive, because your Netscape Profile on the C:\ drive is corrupt.

Allow these files to overwrite the existing files in the new Profile.

Don't copy any files, other than the ones listed below:

xxxxxxxx.s - Password data
    xxxxxxxx.w - Form Fill data
    abook.mab - Address Book
    bookmarks.html - Bookmarks
    cookies.txt - Cookies
    cookperm.txt - Cookie Manager/Cookie Permissions
    custom.dic - Dictionary
    history.mab - Collected Addresses (if you use this feature)
    key3.db - Security Certificates (if applicable)
    loginNames-aim.rdf - if applicable
    loginNames-icq.rdf - if applicable
    mailViews.dat - Current Message Views
    panels.rdf - Panel displayed in the Sidebar
    search.rdf - Search Plugins in the Sidebar
    training.dat - Junk Mail training data
    user.js - If you have created the file, if not disregard
    usercontent.css - If you have created the file, if not disregard
    userchrome.css - If you have created the file, if not disregard

13. 2007/08/22
    BOBBO

Ramona: Copied the files you listed from the backup folder into the new SM profile folder. I didn't close that SM profile folder or close and then reopen SM to do any checking, not wanting to touch or move anything without getting your go-ahead first. Next step?

14. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

BOBBO,

Good job!

Whoops, wait just a minute, did you copy the files to the Profiles folder itself, or copy them to the *.slt folder, allowing existing files to be overwritten?

15. 2007/08/22
    BOBBO

Ramona:
    Oh boy. I copied them to the new E:\Mozilla\Profiles\SeaMonkey\my name folder. (It was empty before I copied all those files into it.) So far I don't see any *.slt folder. Is that because we didn't set up a new profile for SM yet?

Yesterday we did something involving adding "-p" to the the Desktop SM icon's target field. Do we need to do that again for the new installation?

16. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

BOBBO,

See Reply #9, and Reply #10... Didn't you create a new Profile?

Don't get ahead of yourself yet with the Desktop shortcut. First we have to see if SeaMonkey works with the new Profile - if you created a new Profile...

17. 2007/08/22
    BOBBO

Ramona: At some point today I created a new profile, for which I accepted the "default user" name and named it that. (I suppose that's the profile I'm working under right now.) Then I created those folders in E:\, with the last one being the my name folder in this path:

E:\Mozilla\Profiles\SeaMonkey\my name.

That's where I pasted all those files from my NS backup profile folder. So in a way I didn't put those files in either the Profiles folder or the *.slt folder.

Should I use Tools | Switch Profile to create that new profile, my name now?

18. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

Do this: Delete the my name folder, and that will also delete the list of files, which should go in the *.slt folder. Don't do anything else.

Let me know when this is done.

No!

19. 2007/08/22
    BOBBO

Ramona: It's done -- the my name folder and the files in it are gone.

20. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

Good job!

Next:

Move the "default" profile folder to the SeaMonkey folder located here: E:\Mozilla\Profiles\SeaMonkey

Now the E:\Mozilla folder will contain these subfolders: E:\Mozilla\Profiles\SeaMonkey\default\*.slt

21. 2007/08/22
    Ramona

Next:

Give me the path where the "default" Profile was, BEFORE you moved it.