1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Printer error problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jenny596, 2010/05/12.

1. 2010/05/12
    jenny596

jenny596 Inactive Thread Starter

From time to time have a problem printing from either of two laptops which are connected to an HP 4215 printer via a D-Link print server. The file will appear to go to the printer and I get the printer icon, but then after a short time I get a "failure to print" message. In the printer dialogue box I get an "error printing" message and also the message Error processing command. When I try to delete the print job it appears to start the deleting process but then hangs there. I can remove the print job by stopping and starting the print spooler but as soon as I try to print again the problem recurs.

This has happened many times to both laptops, and a problem with one doesn't necessarily mean that the other one won't print. Today I connected my laptop directly to the printer and had the same problem, so I don't think the problem lies with the print server.

Occasionally the problem has righted itself - after the computer or the printer has been turned off for a while, but sometimes it can take forever to get things working again. Any help would be great!!

2. 2010/05/12
    vikinglove

vikinglove Inactive

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/05/12
    jenny596

My drivers are up to date. I haven't installed the wireless update, but as the problem is intermittent I'm not sure if that would help. Yesterday the printing was fine - today it's not - again!

5. 2010/05/14
    MadhurjyaBora

MadhurjyaBora Inactive

Printer problems might happen due to Print processors, port monitors, language monitors, incompatible drivers, etc. Please complete the below steps and see how it goes:

Few questions:
    1. Does it happen with all types of files?
    2. Does it happen with Notepad and wordpad files as well?
    3. Do you see the problem with Test pages?

1. Open up the registry, go to start > run > type Regedit and hit enter

2. In the registry browse to the below location:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

3. Under the printers key search for the printers that have the problem and select it

4. On the right pane doubleclick "PrintProcessor" entry and delete the existing value, set this value to WinPrint. do this for all the printers
    WinPrint is the default windows print processor

5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Print Processors

6. The above location is for 32 bit OS, if you are using a 64 bit OS you need to go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors

7. Delete all entries listed under the "Print Processor" key EXCEPT WINPRINT

8. Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3
    under this key you will see all the installed drivers, select each of them one by one and set the MONITOR value on the right pane to null (empty, keep it blank)

9. Do the same thing for the below location as well:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3

10. Go to C:\windows\system32\spool in explorer, search for *.tmp and *.bud files. if you find any delete them. The search might pull up tmp and bud files located inside cab files, you don't need to delete those.

11. Right click the Print queue in Printers and Faxes and go to Properties, go to the "Advanced" tab and select "Disable Advanced Printing Features "

Restart the Spooler service and test, please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Madhurjya

6. 2010/05/14
    jenny596

Thanks for your reply. I think I did everything you suggested and somehow managed to delete the printer altogether! I have reinstalled it now but the problem remains.

It happens with all files - all programs including notepad and wordpad. I can't print a test page from the computer.

Might be offline for a couple of days so please excuse me if I dont get back to you immediately.

Thanks

7. 2010/05/14
    vikinglove

vikinglove Inactive

I went to HP's website and noticed there are 3 different 4215 printers. If you are still having trouble after accidently deleting the printer and re-installing it -- are you positive that you have the correct driver downloaded?

» HP Officejet 4215 All-in-One Printer
    » HP Officejet 4215v All-in-One Printer
    » HP Officejet 4215xi All-in-One Printer

The other item you did not mention is if you have VISTA or XP machines. I know there is a "patch" for VISTA that might be the trouble. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=4062&product=351106

Maybe this will help.

8. 2010/05/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

XP is assumed as the thread is in the XP forum.