1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Possible problem with Win 10 update, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tquinn, 2017/02/05.

1. 2017/02/05
    tquinn Contributing Member

tquinn Well-Known Member Thread Starter

A USB jog/shuttle controller that helps with video editing was working fine in early January 2017, but when I went to use it in late January, it no longer works with the video software. I've done some checkout on the device, and it isn't the problem. Only one thing changed during this timeframe, which was a Windows 10 Pro 64 update.

Has anyone else experienced any problems with the operation of your computer, that started in January? I'd like to know if this is a problem unique to my system, or if it is widespread.

Here is a link to a message I left on a Windows forum, with more details:

ShuttleXpress stops communicating with Video Editing Software after Windows 10 update

Thanks for your help,

Terry Quinn

2. 2017/02/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Terry, no problems here. Did you get a notification to finish installing device software? I have seen this a few times and it relates to my HP printer. I just run the HP software CD and it only takes about 30 seconds for W10 to find what it needs and then it closes - all OK.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/02/05

Hello "retired,"

If you are referring to the Windows updates, I don't remember any such message. If you are referring to installation of software or hardware, I didn't do any of that across the time span when the problem started.

Thanks for the idea, I wish it were that simple.

Terry

5. 2017/02/08
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Sounds like an update has caused this problem. I would uninstall the update and see if that fixes it. In the update History the installation dates are shown, so you can choose the right one...

Arie,
  6. 2017/02/08

Thanks, Arie. I'm not hearing anything from the Microsoft forum, so I guess that is the plan. I have restore points earlier than the last two Windows update.

7. 2017/02/10

I'm stuck.

I tried doing a system restore from January 26 and Jan 19, to see if eliminating the Jan 26 KB32112320 Windows 10 update, and also a Display driver update that took place on Feb 8, would fix my problem with the shuttle not working. I was able to restore my system back to Jan 26, and later in another try to January 19. Neither of those two restore operations fixed the problem with the shuttle not working in Power Director. So I decided to go to an earlier restore point.

But now I need help.

The first two selections of "Automatic Restore Points." that took me back to January 26th and January 19th, were labeled "System," and when I selected them, they did the restore normally, in a straightforward manner..

However to get back before the January 11 Windows 10 Updates and remove them, there are not any more "System" restore points listed by type. But there are a number of Type "Backup" restore points, that go all the way back to November 13thm, 2016. I believe those must have been created from the "Create a System Image" function using the Windows 7 "Backup and Restore" to an external USB hard drive (data backups were made at the same times).

The problem is that when I select one of the several "Backup" restore points (example, one for 1/4/2017), instead of just going to it like I was able to do with the two "System" points discussed above, the System Restore screen lights up a control button that says, "Scan for affected programs." I assumed that was going to look for the image backup on my hard drive. I made sure that the image backup set was in the root drive of the USB hard drive where it was originally recorded, and everything was working okay on the USB hard drive. I then hit the "Scan for affected programs" button, and it popped up a window that said what that particular restore point would do, just like it had done with the other "System" restore points. And it was different information than what came out with the other restore points used earlier. So at that point, I was confident I was going in the right direction, and the system had found those earlier restore points.

But when I hit Next >, it popped up and error message "System Retore (white X in a red circle)", "The selected backup could not be found. System Restore is looking for a restore point that is on your backup. Choose a different restore point." and then it gives an OK button. And I cannot get past that. If I click the OK, that popup closes, and I am back to where I was.

I tried all the other "System Image Restore Points" of Type = "Backup," (I had five more of them, all the way back to 11/13/2016), and all I could get was the same "cannot be found" error message. Each one showed something different in what is going to be affected, so it must be finding the backups. It just won't let me use them.

I tried going directly to the WindowsImageBackup folder on the USB drive. When I right clicked that folder, one option was "Restore previous versions," so I hit that, and it worked on it for a while (message "Working"). But then it finished with "There are no previous versions available," even though I know they are there.

I cannot think of anything else to try. I don't know what to try next to get back to the earlier restore points made from Windows 7 "Backup and Restore."

Any suggestions?

Terry

8. 2017/02/10

One more thing: I decided for now to go back to where I started. I could have used "undo" the restore point I'd set just before I started working today. But instead I chose to try to restore from a backup with system image that I made last night. That backup showed a restore point in the System Restore menu, of Type = Backup, located on the USB drive, with last night's date. It successfully restored the system from that Backup, which was in the root of the USB drive.

The earlier attempt to use the Type = Backup that failed, were contained inside a different backup set, but before I tried that, I moved that older backup set to the root folder, and moved last night's backup set to a subfolder. So there still might be a way to get to the older system restore point. I'm not sure how to do it, though.

Is it possible that I need to pull the newer Backup Set off of that USB drive altogether, so it could work from the older set? I could put the newer one on a completely different USB drive and unhook that from the computer, in case the system is getting confused. Is that possible?

9. 2017/02/10
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If you "upgraded" from W7 to W10 more than 30 days ago - there will not be any previous OS to go back to. Why not do a re-install of W10? With what you have described in your travels backwards something may be corrupted. Just my thoughts.

10. 2017/02/10

Retired,
    There should be no reason to reinstall W10, if I can get one of my restore points to load that was created prior to when this problem started, only about a month ago. Reinstalling W10 would require a huge amount of settings changes to get back to where I am now.

I'm not trying to get to W7, just to an point on W10 before some recent W10 upgrades were put into my W10.

11. 2017/02/11

Arie and others,

I worked hours yesterday trying to isolate the problem to a Microsoft Windows 10 update. My plan was to use Restore points to go back earlier than specific updates, and see if the Shuttle Express would work.

I since have spent more time looking back on video projects I was working on to determine when the problem with the shuttle started. Here are the relevant dates:

-- I am highly confident that the shuttle was working on January 12th
    -- I am moderately confident it worked on January 16.
    -- The shuttle was NOT working on January 29th.

Here is the recent Windows update history (more detail given in an earlier post above)

--Three Windows updates occurred on January 11
    --One Windows update occurred on January 26
    -- An update for my Nvidia Display board occurred on Feb 8

Putting together both of these lists, in date order, here is a "truth table":

--Three Windows updates occurred on January 11
    -- I am highly confident that the shuttle was working on January 12th
    -- I am moderately confident it worked on January 16.
    --One Windows update occurred on January 26
    -- The shuttle was NOT working on January 29th.
    -- An update for my Nvidia Display board occurred on Feb 8

This suggests that the January 11th Windows updates were not a factor in the problem, the January 26 update may have been the cause, and the Feb 8 Nvidia update was not the cause.

Using System Restore, I was able to take the system back to a January 26th System Restore that occurred just before the Windows Update. I was also able to take it back to a January 19th system restore point. After doing both of these tests, the problem still existed with the Shuttle Express not working with my video editing software. (I intend to repeat this today, just to be sure).

This seems to rule out the Windows 10 updates as a cause of the Shuttle Express problem. Please let me know if you agree, or if you don't, please explain.

(Footnote: Although there were 6 listed restore points in the System Restore menu from November 13th, 2016 to January 4th, 2017, none of them were actually available. I can explain why they were not available later if requested, but given the "truth table" above, I don't think we needed these anyway).

Terry

12. 2017/02/11
    Arie

Yes, I do agree with your observation.

As a side note, I would have tried to uninstall the updates instead of using a system restore (but note that not all updates can be uninstalled). Before using a restore point I would make a full image backup of my drive.

13. 2017/02/11

Arie, you are correct. Unfortunately, when I went to the Windows update history, I accidently clicked "Recovery Options" instead of "Uninstall Updates." Then in "Recovery Options" I misread the menus and determined I could not remove the updates because 10 days was past (I misinterpreted the whole wording there . . . I must have been sleepy). I see now that I can remove the updates individually from a long list.

Do you think I should try removing the January 26 update again, using this uninstall method, just to be sure it isn't the cause?

And assuming that it doesn't fix my problem, will I get an option to put that update back on? If so, should I?

(On your other suggestion about doing a full image backup, I did do a full backup with system image using Windows 7 Backup and Restore on the night before I used the restore points. I also made a fresh system restore point just before I went back to previous restore points. Would that have been enough)?

14. 2017/02/11
    Arie

No, going back with a system restore before the update was installed has the same effect, so going back and then removing the update won't make a difference.

A search for new updates should get you that update back, and yes, you should install it.

I prefer a disk image using a 3rd party tool like Acronis. I feel safer that way with a full backup of the disk.

15. 2017/02/11

Aire,

I could do that for the system disk (a 256 GB SSHD). But my separate data disk is a 3TB with tons of video files on it, so while backing that up is possible but would take a long time, even with USB3. Would backing up the system SSHD disk only, with Acronis alone be sufficient?

16. 2017/02/11
    Arie

Yes, No need to backup the data disk, just the system disk is what you'd want ;)

17. 2017/02/11

When I got home this evening, I toyed with the idea of uninstalling the last Windows update that ran on January 26, just to be sure that wasn't causing my problem.

So I went to the update history, clicked on the "Uninstall updates" link, and highlighted the January 26 KB... update. I quickly learned that was one of the ones that Microsoft won't let you uninstall. In other words, some other updates, when you highlight them, shows an "uninstall" option to click on. But others, including specific ones called security updates, won't give that option. And the January 26 update was one that didn't give the option.

So it is a good thing I could evaluate it by using a restore point, because if I didn't have that, uninstall wouldn't have helped.

So my next step is to uninstall/reinstall the Cyberlink video editing software. I hope that fixes it, because that is the last good option.

18. 2017/03/23

Arie,

My understanding of SSDs is that they have a finite life. Yesterday I ran a system diagnostics, and it reported that the SSD had used 7% of its life. That is still a lot, and I'm not concerned about it now. But we were talking about the tool Acronis in this thread, and it got me wondering. If I made a system backup with Acronis, and then the SSD failed, would I be able to use that Acronis backup to drop everything in the Acronis backup to a new SSD, without having to use Windows recovery tools?

tq

19. 2017/03/23
    Arie

Yes, as with any disk... just restore the Acronis Disk image & you're back at the point you made the image.

An SSD will most likely outlast any old mechanical drive. Can't remember any 3.5" HDD I had lasting > 7 years. I just checked, my 850 PRO has written 3.72 TB in 750 days (this is my system drive). Samsung guarantees the 256 drive for 150 TBW, so I have 82 years to go at that rate... The 850 PRO has a 10 year warranty (or 150 TBW).

I also got a 850 EVO of 1 TB recently, that one has to do more work, as it holds all my Hyper-V machines (11 in total). This drive has written 2.24 TB in 2 months, but even if I would continue at the same rate (which isn't likely since the installation/copying of the VM's took some 360 GB) it would mean about 13.5 TB a year. That still takes > 11 year to get to the guaranteed 150 TBW.

My old Intel X 25-M which I got in Feb. 2011 has been my system drive in my PC till March 2012 and been used as a 2nd drive in my PC and since I got the 1TB drive it has been moved to a laptop. This drive is at 8.8 TBW.

From March 2012 till Feb. 2015 I used an Intel 520 SSD, that drive is also still in use in a laptop. This drive as used 12.8 TBW

Both Intel drives are guaranteed for 37 TBW afaik.

20. 2017/03/23

Arie, Thanks for the information on both questions. I don't know much about SSDs other than they are really nice for speed. Mine has been in use for almost 3 years, so even if the 7% "wear" is correct, that would suggest it will have a 40 + year life at my use rate. At my age, it will outlast me.

I'd never seen the spec of TBW before this. I found this definition of it as "Terabytes Written (TBW)" My thinking would be that some areas of the SSD might get more worn (for example a swap file for the operating system), unless the SSD is smart enough to move files around and spread out the "damage." Does that make sense?

21. 2017/03/23
    Arie

Yes, SSD firmware is made to do exactly that, spread the writes evenly across the chips...