1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Solved Possible fake Chrome update webpage replaces current webpage

Discussion in 'Malware and Virus Removal' started by AML300, 2017/05/13.

1. 2017/05/19
    AML300

AML300 Member Thread Starter

OK, will work on the above & suggestions. Thanks Broni, very much appreciated! Keep you updated on how it's doing.

Websites I saw these fake update/download were mostly standard--Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook, etc. I do surf/wander on the web looking at a lot of news/political sites, sports sites & links to articles from Twitter, Facebook & email, so like you said probably hitting not so friendly ones & picking something up. Also, I'm on Yahoo a lot for fantasy sports..and, those webpages are getting less & less responsive in all browsers--Chrome, Firefox & IE.

Chrome would be OK, but it has this problem w/ Yahoo where Chrome's built-in Shockwave Flash keeps crashing & freezes the site screens. I've tried everything that I found on the web so far to troubleshoot, but nothing has worked. Haven't found a way to disable Shockwave. It's not in the Content settings or I'm not going to the right place. I can't get to the plugin list. Before the current Chrome version, you used to be able to type "Plugin" in the address bar & get to the list that way.

Also, I need to upgrade my system; it's a Dell-Latitude D630, only 2 Duo Intel CPU T7300 @ 2.00Ghz, 4 GB memory. It's fine for offline stuff, Excel, Word, etc. But, when I first began using this refurbished laptop, I didn't have any problems w/ Chrome & on Yahoo & much more responsive, too. Guessing I need better graphics for some of today's contemporary websites, as well.

What forum should I get on to get some assistance w/ this Chrome/Yahoo/Shockwave crash issue? If there is one.

Thanks again!

2. 2017/05/19
    AML300

AML300 Member Thread Starter

Correction, that's the MS's Edge browser, not IE.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/05/19
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

I suggest Windows forum.