1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Plug-in won't install in Internet Explorer 11

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by drhans2, 2016/11/26.

1. 2016/11/26
    drhans2

drhans2 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello, It's been a while since I posted on this forum.. and seems the posting rules have changed.. use to be you needed to include some event & other logs with your problem.. now I don't see any instructions.. so here goes..

The issue is.. I can't install a "plugin" when I'm using Internet Explorer 11.. The "plugin" will run and starts to install but quits before finishing. Then the program link which is a Local Network IP Address will "again" prompt me to "Install the Plugin ". The plugin is downloaded from my Q-See Network Video Recorder. The "plugin file" is good as I can install it and view the cameras attached to my NVR using the "Internet Explorer 11 Browser" vie a different Windows 10 computer..

Internet Explorer 11 is the only Browser that will work with the Q-See NVR system.. Prior to me trying a new antivirus program everything worked as it should...

Events are as follows... Windows 10 computer that is up to date and on the same local network as my Q-See NVR... Nov 4th I tried changing my anti-virus program from Windows Defender to the free version of (Avast Antivirus). After I downloaded and installed Avast the program did a bunch of cleanup. I pretty much accepted the defaults and cleaned everything.. However later on when I tried to view my camera's vie Internet Explorer 11, the program link would load but I got the message stating that I needed to "Install the Plugins" again. At which point I clicked to install the plugin and it would start to install but then fail to install correctly.. (I did allow it to "change system setting" and I'm an "Administrator" user).

I called Q-See support and they have verified that all my option are set correctly to allow the plugin to install. I also uninstalled Avast and returned to Windows Defender.. and tried various other options to no avail..

I looked at my "Add-ons" under "Manage Add-ons in Internet Explorer 11" and I see a few add-ons that are disabled and grayed out.. I can not "right click" and enable them.. Their status is "Disabled "... They are.. "Plugin Class.. 32 bit ", another one is "Java Plug-in SSV Helper 32 bit "....

On my good computer I see the above mentioned Plug-ins as being "enabled" along with a additional plugin labeled.. "Plug-in class" for Q-See international.. 32 bit.. Which is "Enabled "..

I thought maybe I'd try to do a "restore" to prior to me installing Avast on Nov 4th but I see no "restore points" before that date..

I'm thinking that Avast might have changed a registry option that's now preventing the plugin from installing.. or thought that the Q-see plugin was questionable and disabled it, but that only a assumption on my part..

Is there any way to check the registry options for Internet Explorer 11 and or Windows 10 to see if that's what stopping the plugin from installing correctly?

Any thoughts as to what I can try???

Much thanks..

denny

2. 2016/11/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/11/27
    drhans2

Thanks for the reply.. I was hoping to try a lighter approach first.. and I would still need to clone my HD before doing a "Windows Restore "..

I was looking at the Windows 10 Forums.. "Instructional Posts ". The 2nd one titled.. " How To Repair Windows 10 " looks promising..

Not sure about Step Number 1... (This checks for component store corruption) From what little reading I've done vie google on component store.. I'm assuming the component store is the instructions that would allow the Windows user to set or change options within Windows.. and I'm assuming that Avast changed a Windows option that's now preventing me from installing a plugin. So in theory the "component store" is working OK.. but that a big assumption on my part.. So I'm not sure if I should perform step 1 or skip it..

Steps 2 thru 17 seems to be a catch all approach and might be all I need.. again another assumption on my part..

Do you see any downside to trying this approach first, and should I do step 1 just to cover all bases?

much thanks..

5. 2016/11/27
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Try: Internet Options > Security tab > Trusted sites > add the Q-See "site ".

6. 2016/11/28
    drhans2

Thanks for the reply..

I rechecked my Internet Options > Security tab > Trusted sites > and all was OK.. My NVR IP address was in the "Saved Site Window" & the Security Level was set to "Low "..

I then tried removing and re-entering the NVR's address from the Trusted Site window... I added my local IP address for the NVR.. and set the Security level to Low... Then tied the access the NVR using IE 11.. No joy..

I then went to the "Manage Add-Ons" in IE.. and tried to remove the Plugin that were disabled. (enable option was grayed out). No Joy there.. Then I went to File Folder... (C:\Program Files(x86)\webrec\WEB30\WebPlugin\uninst.exe)......and ran the "uninstall file" for the plugin.. After it completed the Uninstalled I shut down IE and then relaunched IE and tried the NVR again.. got the notice to load plugin first and did so.. No Joy.. same problem..

I do remember there were 2 plugins that needed to be installed.. maybe I'll trying calling Q-See and see about downloading the two files directly from them and install from the files..

Then I'm guessing its either the (Recovery process to Fresh install and retain your Files) option or the (How To Repair Windows 10) option..

7. 2016/11/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

This is what I would try but I would probably do a sfc /scannow first.
    How to create a Windows 10 recovery disk | TechRadar

Last edited: 2016/11/29
  8. 2016/11/30
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

9. 2016/12/01
    drhans2

Retiredlearner... Thanks for your suggestion to reinstall Windows 10 while leaving my documents & files intact.. However I have some setting and configuration options on various programs that would be labor intensive on my part to reinstall and reconfigure.. so I'm reluctant to do the reinstall.. Truth be told I've just about had with Windows 10.. and seeing that I'm already having issues with some programs and the reinstall will only add to those problems.. Maybe I should just scrap Windows 10 and switch to Ubuntu on my main computer.. then use a old computer with Windows 7 for my QC NVR.. But that also has its drawbacks..

Tony T... I tried the QTN Local IP Camera setup.. I was able to install it along with it's plugins.. but got nowhere when trying to use the program.. was not able to interface with the program.. I was hoping that programs plugin would reset the Windows Registry setting to allow my "grayed out plugin to be enabled ".. but no joy.. also tried the Active X filtering.. same.. no joy..

I also was going to try to use the Restore Point that Avast saved on one of it's cleaning operations.. (the initial restore point that Avast saved after it installed itself was not shown when I first tried fixing the problem).. but now even that Restore Point is not showing.. I have over 20 GB of space allowed for Restore Points and only 4 Restore Points are ever showing using only 5.4 GB (9%) of the 20 GB allowed.. Tried checking the box to show more Restore Points but no joy.. Still shows only 4 Restore Points... FYI Microsoft.... Windows 10 (fill in the blank)...

I was hoping something like changing a Windows 10 Registry entry from a 0 to a 1 would reverse what Avast did when it "safeguarded my system " after running a scan when I installed it... but I'm not versed enough to figure out where or how to do that..

Thanks to all for the help.. might just put this problem on the back burner for now..

10. 2016/12/02
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Last edited: 2016/12/02
  11. 2016/12/03
    drhans2

TonyT... to answer your last reply...

# 1.... (Have you tried this? https://qsee.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/880/kw/Q-See Network Video Recorder)

Answer... Yes I have entered my NVR's IP address in the sites window and have changed the security level to "LOW ".. (and I was previously able to view the NVR so I believe my setting are ok)

# 2..... (Instead of using IE you can use their client viewer program: QS Series: (Multi Client) PC/MAC Remote Monitoring Software)

Answer... There is a different Remote Monitoring program (QC VIEW) for my QC Series NVR.. (see link below)..

QC Series: (QC View) PC/Mac Remote Monitoring Software

I've had (QC VIEW) installed for over a year now and I can use that "app ", but would much rather prefer to use the IE browser to access, review, config, and download any recorded files when the need arises.. The IE program is a closer match to the NVR's direct connection interface and is easier to navigate, and a much more practical program. (when it worked).. Q-SEE I believe would like to see IE access go away.. and have users access the eqpt vie their "apps" like (QC View or Multi Client).. Maybe I'm old school, but these new app's, and me using only a desktop computer don't get along very well..

My only option seems to be finding a way allow the plugin to reinstall itself, as it is now the plugin is listed in IE Add-Ons but it is grayed out and labeled as "Disabled" with no option or way to "Enable" the plugin and all my Reinstall attempts of that plugin fail about 1/2 way thru the install process.. I also see no way to edit the "Allowed" websites for this grayed out plugin.. currently only showing a ( * ) which might mean all websites but that's just a assumption on my part..... The only thing I haven't tried is Removing the ( * ) from the Allowed Window. (see attached file for plugin info.. )

Seeing that I'm not willing to "Reinstall Windows" and that I have no "Restore Points" showing prior to me installing and trying Avast last month.. (even thou I'm only using 9% of my allotted 20 GB of HD space allotted to restore points).. I guess my options are limited..Maybe I'll try emailing Avast support..

Much thanks to TonyT & Retirdedlearner for the assist..

.. Plugin info.jpg Plugin info.jpg

12. 2016/12/03
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Uninstall the plugin and start anew. (auto activex remover from their site)
    https://qsee.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2493/kw/nvr plugin

After reinstalling the active x control, close IE and open a command prompt as admin.

The ocx file (activex control) should be stored in a cab file. Extract the files to a folder and use this command:

regsvr32 folder\plugin-name.ocx

Last edited: 2016/12/03
  13. 2016/12/06
    drhans2

I used the link you mentioned to uninstall the Active X Control, than added the NVR IP address back into the Security Tab - Trusted Sites- and set the Security Level to Low.. After that I got lost trying follow the rest of the instructions.. but this is what I did..

I reset the Internet Options to what they need to be, added back in the NVR IP address, set Security level to Low, then tried to reinstalled the plugins, like before it tried to install but did not (visually) complete the process..

I then tried to uninstall the plugins vie the (Plugin Dedicated Uninstall File) in the Web Plugin Folder.. then tried to Re-Install the Plugin again, still no joy..

I then.. ( Reset the Internet Options to their Default Setting) vie (Internet Options - Advanced Tab - Reset Internet Explorer Setting).....

Then changed the Internet Options to the correct setting for installing the plugins & tried reinstalling the plugins again, still no joy..

I later received a call back from Q-See support on this problem and discussed the steps already taken.. they suggested I try using Google Chrome along with Installing the (IE Tab App) in Chrome..

At that point I was able to access the NVR (using Google Chrome and the IE Tab App).. and was not prompted to add the plugins.. So I'm thinking maybe the IE Plugin problem has nothing to do with the Windows Registry.. see that the plugins were (assumed) already installed and working when I used the Google Chrome and it's IE Tab App..

However since then I have not been able to access the NVR using Google Chrome... Can't get the (IE Tab) to work now.. keep getting the Install Plugins first message.. So don't know whats up with that..

At this point I'm going to try to install the 2 install files that are in my (C:\Program files (x86)\Webrec\WEB30\WebPlugin) folder.. Files are.... WebActiveEXE.exe & TimeGridEXE.exe by double clicking on them..

I think that's what you wanted me to do here..

(The ocx file (activex control) should be stored in a cab file. Extract the files to a folder and use this command:

regsvr32 folder\plugin-name.ocx )

However... I tried to double click on the files but nothing happened.. tried as Administrator also.. same nothing happened..

I thinking I'm beating a dead horse here.. might need to resort to (Reinstalling Window 10 while keeping my files option).. if I want IE & my NVR to work on this computer.. but will first contact Q-See Support and see if they can figure out why I could on first try but now can't access the NVR using Chrome & IE Tab..

Much thanks,

denny

14. 2016/12/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Try this:

Open the registry editor (don't worry, we're not going to change anything)

Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

Right click Browser Helper Objects and select "Export ". Name the file as "export1" and save the file somewhere.

Do the same for this registry key: (name as "export2 ")
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

Right click each file and select Edit. Copy+paste the contents here.

15. 2016/12/07
    drhans2

I was able to get the 1st file you wanted but no joy on the second one.. see screenshot of Registry below..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here is the... export1 data...
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E}]
    @=" "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43}]
    "NoExplorer "=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9}]
    "NoExplorer "=dword:00000001
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the screenshot that shows the folder you want not being there..
    Do the same for this registry key: (name as "export2 ")
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

Note.... "Browser Helper Objects" is not showing...

upload_2016-12-7_12-46-25.png

16. 2016/12/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Ok, now post a screenshot of export1.

The plugin which is disabled should be named in the Data column. If it's there and Named you'll see a value of (0): (if not named, skip the below and just post the screenshot)

NoExplorer REG_DWORD 0x00000001(0)

To enable the plugin we need to change the (0) to (1).
    To do this, double click NoExplorer in the line and change Value data from 0 to 1.

Note: Internet Explorer should not be opened while doing this. When finished, open IE and check if the plugin shows as Enabled in IE.

Also, we can forget about export2...

Last edited: 2016/12/07
  17. 2016/12/07
    drhans2

No "name" in the data column.. here's the screenshot..
    upload_2016-12-7_15-32-58.png

18. 2016/12/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

what are the other 2 BHOs?

Also, check and see if this file exists and if so, post the contents:
    %ProgramData%\Avast Software\Avast\log\Avast-Browser-Cleanup.log

I am of the opinion that the plugin problem was caused by Avast Browser Cleanup which I believe is bundled with the free antivirus. A tedius, but probably workable solution would be to reinstall avast and then configure the browser cleanup to allow all of your sites and plugins. Then uninstall it.

The other option is to use the registry editor Edit > Find and Find Next to search for "Avast" and delete all things found.

And check System Restore again, the list may not show them all, there may be a link to "show more ".

And it may be worth it to run this utility from avast:
    Avast Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for Avast Removal

Last edited: 2016/12/07
  19. 2016/12/08
    drhans2

Your question.. what are the other 2 BHOs?... Answer... I don't know but the copy & paste info is in post #14 & screen shots below...

upload_2016-12-8_12-5-10.png

upload_2016-12-8_12-7-21.png

As for the... %ProgramData%\Avast Software\Avast\log\Avast-Browser-Cleanup.log.... It doesn't exist.. I do have 3 log files in that folder... 1st one is a (setup file) dated the day I installed Avast 11/4/16, 2nd file is a (event manager log) & 3rd file is a (update log).. the 2nd & 3rd file dates are 11/22/16 the day I uninstalled Avast.. A file search of the HD for (Avast-Browser-Cleanup.log) was negative.

As for the registry editor.... Edit > Find and Find Next to search for "Avast ".... this is what I found.. I did not delete it yet.. Still want me to delete it ??
    upload_2016-12-8_12-11-40.png

As for the System Restore, the list may not show them all, there may be a link to "show more "....

The list increased by a few but their dates were after the date I installed Avast.. ( I did do a restore the other day 12/5/16 because of Windows freezing up after starting.. but for a restore point prior to me installing Avast on 11/4/16 it doesn't exist...

upload_2016-12-8_12-16-13.png

As for the Avast uninstall utility program.. I did use the "uninstall file" in the Avast folder when I uninstalled Avast.. should I also try the standalone uninstall program from Avast?

Also would the log files for Event Viewer or other Windows operations come into play here??

thanks..

20. 2016/12/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

short answer;

Use the avast uninstall utility, it is supposed to remove the leftover files and registry entries. It's possible that there's an avast registry value interfering with the plugin.

21. 2016/12/11
    drhans2

Ok I used the Avast utility to uninstall the "last remains" of the Avast program.. IE still want to install the plugins, and can't...

I also was in contact with Costco Concierge Service's (tech support) about the NVR & IE problem.. (purchased the NVR from Costco) Had them reference this forum to get an idea of what was already tried and they also suggested I try these Windows PowerShell commands..

For the two files... C:\Program Files (x86)\webrec\WEB30\WebPlugin\TimeGridEXE.exe & WebActiveEXE.exe

They added this option.. vie Windows PowerShell.. If I remember correctly.. (only the TimeGrid file shown, the same command was done for the WebActive file)...

Below is from the log file so not sure where the end of the command option ends.. but think it started with ( "C:\Program Files (x86)\webrec) and stopped at ( \npTimeGrid.dll ")...

get-childitem "C:\Program Files (x86)\webrec\WEB30\WebPlugin\get-childitem "C:\Program Files (x86)\webrec\WEB30\WebPlugin\npTimeGrid.dll" | unblock-file -confirm" | unblock-file -confirm

After doing that IE would still not work past the login screen, and all I could do is "try to add the plugin "..

They did suggest I try using Firefox to access the NVR.. They made some option changes in Firefox and now I can use Firefox to access the NVR, with the same results as when IE & the NVR did work correctly. Prior to making the changes in Firefox's options I could access the NVR but I had limited use of the program operations and it was pretty much useless..

Now three days later Firefox is still working as it should when I use it to access the NVR.. (Fingers crossed)..

Much thanks to TonyT and Retirdedlearner for your help in this matter.. Let me know if you want me to try anything else..

Thanks again,
    denny