1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

pcpitstop ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by born2golf, 2009/10/19.

1. 2009/10/19
    born2golf

born2golf Inactive Thread Starter

Ran PC Pitstop and was recommended updates for my computer.
    Realtek High Def Audio and NVidia Geforce 8500.
    • Where do get the specific downloads that PC Pitstop recommends?
    Have gone to both sites but specific downloads not showing. All and any help appreciated.
    Looking for Real Tek High Def Audio version 6.0.1.5943
    and GeForce 7.15.11.7578 as these were the ones recommended by PCPitstop.

2. 2009/10/19
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

How long have you been using pcpitstop?
    Are you having any sort of issue with the two hardwarwe devices you listed?

Are you familiar with the phrase: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it? "

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/10/19
    born2golf

Very familiar with the phrase..... I am having no issues with my computer just tinkering. Been using pcpitstop for a number of years.

5. 2009/10/19
    Steve R Jones

6. 2009/10/19
    born2golf

7. 2009/10/19
    Steve R Jones

I would trust nVidia since they're the guys making the drivers....Or you could email pcpitstop and ask them where they got the version number from.

8. 2009/10/19
    born2golf

Thanks for the insight.
    I will now try that with RealTek and see what happens.

9. 2009/10/19
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'Day "born2golf ",

(Sorry to butt in Steve R Jones)

1. nVidia in the download drivers section does have the ability to use their driver detector for both card and motherboard chip set. I recommend you use the one that applies to your card. Then download the new drivers and do NOT use a download manager, only use the default IE download.

2. There are also very specific instruction as to the way that new drivers are installed.

3. [FONT=&quot]The correct for un-installing and reinstalling as per nVidia and my Instructions are as follows:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A. - Use Device Manager – Select the Display Adapter -> NVIDIA and uninstall (right mouse click and select “Uninstall”) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]B. - Reboot when requested[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]C. - When the New Device Found popup window appears, “Cancel” this installation process.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]D. - Wait for the Windows Desktop to finish loading.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]E. - Disable any Anti-Virus program – very important to do this![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]F. - Now install the new nVidia driver and software[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]G. - Reboot when requested.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]H. - Configure the nVidia Settings. There should be a “NVIDIA Setting” System Icon on the TSR area of the Start Bar, right mouse click on this icon and go to (click on) the “NVIDIA Control Panel” to configure and use “Change Resolution” to custom size your Visual parameters and any other requirements. NB: If you are not familiar or feel confident in performing these tasks, phone us for help.[/FONT]

In your situation, post your question.

BTW: during the reboot and before you have completed the update, you display will resort to the 640 x 480 resolution and the display will look like garbage, do not be alarmed by this.

Trust this will help you

pcbugfixer ;)
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited: 2009/10/19
  10. 2009/10/19
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

PCPitstop shows that nVidia driver for Vista 32 & 64-bit here. If you click Download it pops up a window so you can scan for drivers. Their library for the Realtek driver is here. The same window pops up.

I don't do driver scans for my PCs. I will research other sites for the best drivers then make a decision on my own. I prefer to read other users opinions about what drivers they installed and if they benefitted.

11. 2009/10/19
    born2golf

Did exactly what you stated and when all said and done it updated to the outdated version. But that's ok! I am sure I am not missing a great deal as I am not a gamer anyway and as far as RealTek High Def Audio I will leave it alone. I was just trying to fine tune and update my driver's for display and audio.
    Last but not least, I want to thank all of you for your input and suggestions. This is a great site for info and help.

12. 2009/10/19
    born2golf

When I went to both of the "here" and it went to a driver scan and they wanted $$$$ for the updates. Thanks anyway for the response.

13. 2009/10/19
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'Day "born2golf ".

Yup I should have looked at your specs.

With HP using ASUS boards, you need to contact HP or go to their web site - and look up the drivers download for the board if in fact they have posted a newer driver for the HD Audio.

As I also use PCPitstop from time to time and have an ASUS board, and I came across a similar issue on my board refering to the board chip set, which after investigating this with nVidia, I ignored it.

This reminds me that I forgot to follow up with this driver issue with PCPitstop, which yoiu could now do if you have time and report the result to us here on this forum - Thanks

BTW: nVidia has 2 driver test utilities, one for cards the other for boards. (or did have and work in IE only!)
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

pcbugfixer ;)

Last edited: 2009/10/19
  14. 2009/10/19
    born2golf

Contacted HP and their online help desk sent me a link which showed me that they had an older version for Realtek HD Audio than I have and the same version of Nvidia GeForce. PCPitstop shows a newer version of 7.15.11.7578 dated 10/15/09 and mine is 7.15.11.6960 and date I can't remember.
    Thanks for the info and I will check that link out tomorrow.

15. 2009/10/20
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

The purpose of my reply was to show that is all PCPitstop had to offer was the driver scan. I do not rely on sites that pull this stunt.

16. 2009/10/20
    born2golf

I don't rely on sites that pull that junk either. Guess I quit tinkering and go play golf... Have a great day and thanks for your input!

17. 2009/10/22
    born2golf

I did some more tinkering and finally loaded the new version of NVidia. I had to uninstall everything that had to do with NVidia.
    However, going into Device Manager and right click on NVidia and updating driver it reverted back to old driver. I contacted NVidia and as of this moment there has been NO feedback from NVidia

So what did I find new and exciting? Nothing that I could detect. But it was a challenge and I never back away from a challenge.

I am through tinkering and off the play 18 holes of golf. No I am not going to Best Buy and get in line for Windows 7 (VistaII) and donate hard earned dollars to Bill Gates nestegg. Have a great day and thanks again.

18. 2009/10/22
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive

G'Day " "

The instruction in "C" is sometimes difficult to catch, that is why windows is installing the default nVidia drivers.

3. [FONT=&quot]The correct for un-installing and reinstalling as per nVidia and my Instructions are as follows:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A. - Use Device Manager – Select the Display Adapter -> NVIDIA and uninstall (right mouse click and select “Uninstall”) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]B. - Reboot when requested[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]C. - When the New Device Found popup window appears, “Cancel” this installation process.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]D. - Wait for the Windows Desktop to finish loading.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]E. - Disable any Anti-Virus program – very important to do this![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]F. - Now install the new nVidia driver and software[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]G. - Reboot when requested.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]H. - Configure the nVidia Settings. There should be a “NVIDIA Setting” System Icon on the TSR area of the Start Bar, right mouse click on this icon and go to (click on) the “NVIDIA Control Panel” to configure and use “Change Resolution” to custom size your Visual parameters and any other requirements. NB: If you are not familiar or feel confident in performing these tasks, phone us for help.[/FONT]

You can try to simply install the new drivers, sometimes it does work after un-installing the old and with windows re-installing it's windows default nVidia drivers, the new drivers from nVidia may install correctly.

The other trick we use in this instance, is to un-install the default loaded windows nVidia drivers, NOT re-boot and simply install the new nVidia drivers through the setup.exe, meaning you have expanded (use WinZip or WinRAR) the downloaded big driver file from nVidia, into a separate folder, which contains the setup.exe.

Both of these have worked at different times from our installation experience, involving nVidia for the last 8+ years.

In the old days we simply needed to update the drivers through the Device Manager, and in the last 2 years nVidia brought out the new installation procedure, i.e. un-install, reboot etc., as outlined above,

pcbugfixer ;)

Last edited: 2009/10/22