1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved PC keyboard spacebar stiff

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Vicki, 2015/02/13.

1. 2015/02/13
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thought I was doing myself a favor and cleaned my keyboard last week. It was getting pretty dirty and grimy. Removed all the keys and soaked them in warm soapy water, scrubbed them with a toothbrush and let them dry overnight. Cleaned the deck of the keyboard as well, but used qtips and alcohol.....that was just about as yucky!:eek:

I knew there were wires attached to the larger keys (spacebar, shift, enter, etc. to name a few) but can't seem to figure out how to get the spacebar one reattached properly and now it is difficult to push.

Have to admit, the keyboard and keys look a lot better now without all the crud but I'm a little frustrated with having to bang on the space bar to get it to work!

Any tips, tricks or suggestions on what I should or could do to reattach it properly?

Thanks!

2. 2015/02/13
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Think I'll keep my beginner status!

After many searches on you tube and the web, I was ready to toss this keyboard! Couldn't find any info that would help me with my dilemma.

So decided to take that space bar back off one more time and see if I could get that wire put back on to make it work properly. I know I'd read that they can be "difficult" to put back on, but I didn't think it would take a contortionist to do it!lol

Well after fighting with it for a couple of hours, I decided to take off one of the smaller keys that also had the wire (to see how they were attached and those were working okay). Well I'll be darn, all this time I had been trying to put it on BACKWARDS!! :eek:

Lesson learned here for me....pay more attention to what I'm doing when trying to "fix" something! ;)

James Martin and virginia like this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/02/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

We love stories with happy endings.

5. 2015/02/14
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

And thanks for coming back with the 2nd half of the story too. :)

I suspect a couple centimeters of my receding hairline (and a few points with my blood pressure) is due to keyboard keycaps. I gave up taking them apart a few years ago. But they still need cleaning to rid them of hair, dust, dander, potato chip and cookie crumbs every so often. Of I just flip them upside down and tap them with something hard to dislodge the big stuff and then blast them with compressed air. That typically works. If not, I swallow my pride and admit defeat and "treat myself" to a new keyboard.

I note some keyboards you can actually submerse in lukewarm water or under a faucet. The trick there is to then blast out as much water as possible, then sit the keyboard under a fan for 2 or 3 days to totally dry it out. It all depends on the construction inside, if can tolerate getting wet. Just remember to remove the batteries if wireless.

Bill,
    cbumpkin and James Martin like this.