1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

PC keeps rebooting itself

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by stitch, 2006/01/02.

1. 2006/02/01
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

I appreciate this is going to be like watching planks warp, but could you be patient for a day and just play with whatever joys your PC can offer in its current state? Play a few of the games MS supply with XP if it helps. I think we've trapped the beastie, but I want to make sure it's not just biding its time.

Then the next step is, as you suggest, adding things back one at a time, but giving the PC a thorough test each time you add something. Leave USB till last as that was generating errors before.

Edit: No, don't install drivers. You've got to take things one step at a time or you're sunk.

2. 2006/02/01
    stitch

stitch Inactive Thread Starter

Ok
    Thats not a problem, will play spider solitair lol for a few days. then add one at a time each for a few days, usb last. then install modem. this will take me past my moving date and i wont be online for a week or two then till i get the phone line sorted, so will get back to you all by end of Feb to let you know how im doing,
    Stitch
    PS stripping a motorbike really is so much easier, have some of you never thought about doing that instead lol. I got one in my dining room if you want to try.:D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/02/01
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

Well I did warn you about six and a half weeks ago that your PC was by far and away the most complicated thing you own. However, now you know the techniques, next time you'll get to this point a lot quicker.

I've stripped down plenty of oily things such as cars and bicycles, and over the last few years I've come to realise I just don't enjoy freezing to death replacing one grubby component or another. My current car has a service light on it, and you know, when it comes on for real I'm going to give it to someone else to service. I say "for real" because it seems to come on if I leave the car for any length of time on an incline. I suspect M. Renault didn't take into account hills when he designed his hi-tech microprocessor-controlled digital dipstick. Either that or there's something seriously bizarre going on in the sump.

Hope your house move goes smoothly, and look forward to hearing what happens PC-wise.

5. 2006/02/01
    stitch

Brummig
    The bike belongs to the ex lol
    The saying "THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED" is so true, an the fact its in my dining room is cos i dont want to freeze outside either lol:D :D :D

Catch you in a couple of weeks

6. 2006/02/01
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

LOL, I've been following this thread and had to laugh when I saw that. To tell you the truth, I used to do it all the time when I was a kid. Stripped em down to almost nothing and then built choppers out of them. I gotta admit, it was a whole bunch easier than some of the computer problems one runs into. :D

7. 2006/02/02
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

Zander - in the UK a chopper is a kid's bicycle. You would have to do a lot of stripping down to turn a motorbike into a chopper here :) .

Stitch - I've certainly had a significant proportion of my car in the front room, but there was just simply no way the whole thing was going to fit through the front door. So is your ex going to get a box of springs, valves, pistons, nuts, and bolts through the post one day?

8. 2006/02/02
    stitch

Something like that Brummig;)

9. 2006/02/21
    stitch

Hi Guys
    Well I'm back on my pc here, I dont have SP2 installed and i dont have the 4in1 drivers for the motherboard installed, I found as soon as i tried to install them it kept rebooting in a circle.
    Everything else seems to be workingok so far, though i havent installed much in the way of programs as yet, but im on the net and i can access my files so will see how i go as stime goes on, will keep you informed.
    Stich:D

10. 2006/02/21
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

I take it the 4in1 drivers were installed before, after you went through that long procedure checking out disk drive, memory, etc. Is that right? Do you know what they are drivers for (ethernet, sound, ...)? Are you missing any facilities at the moment (ethernet, sound, ...)?

I had a really awful time after trying to install SP2. I managed to get my PC mostly working OK again with help from MS and WindowsBBS, and I can't say I've had any problems I could pin down to not having SP2. It's best avoided IMHO.

How was the house move? What did the removal company say about the bike in pieces in the dining room, or is it still there :D ?

11. 2006/02/21
    stitch

The drivers are AGP Driver
    VIA INF Driver
    VIA PCI IDE Bus driver
    VIA service pack

The move went fine Brummig love my new place apart from the solid fule heating lol, Its dam cold here, I need my flick of a switch gas heating lol.

As for the bike well that was delivered back to its owner in a big BIG box minus any tools which of course belong to me. The removal company were brilliant about dropping the box off for me and bringing my own bike to my new place.:)

12. 2006/02/21
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

I don't think you need any of these, but just to make sure, go to Start...Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Computer Management (you may need to switch Control Panel to the "classic view" in order to use your PC properly ;) ). Select Device Manager and look for anything wrong (traditionally MS do this with a yellow question mark, but they probably changed this on XP just to confuse everyone). Under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" double-click on your IDE channels, select the "Advanced Settings" tab, and check your hard disks are running in DMA mode. While you're in Computer Management, take a look in the event viewer and look for problems. Let me know what you find.

If all looks OK, have you got anything USB you can plug in, such as a pen drive? If so, please do so and check it works.

Glad the move went smoothly :) .

13. 2006/02/21
    stitch

The only thing in the device manager was the universal serial bus (usb) ontroller that has a yellow question mark against it.

I have my modem in the usb port working ok and have also had my mp3 player plugged in so the usb seems to be working fine, though i seem to remember there was always a yellow question mark against the usb before , it only dissapeared after SP2 was installed if i remember right.

There were two errors or warnings this one was in the system tab

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Date: 21/02/2006
    Time: 08:46:56
    User: N/A
    Computer: MUMSPLACE
    Description:
    The General Purpose USB Driver (adildr.sys) service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This one was under application

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: EventSystem
    Event Category: (50)
    Event ID: 4609
    Date: 21/02/2006
    Time: 08:45:33
    User: N/A
    Computer: MUMSPLACE
    Description:
    The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

14. 2006/02/21
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

To get rid of this error you need to follow the link at the bottom of Post 64!

15. 2006/03/08
    MadDev

MadDev Inactive

16. 2006/03/21
    stitch

HI Guys
    Well the Pc is still up and running and has been stable now for a few weeks, no shutting down or anything, Only thing that crops up is the USB2 notification when i plug say my mp3 in it tells me i have plugged a fast usb conection into an slow one, i believe this is because the fast usb driver hasnt been installed with sp2, its not a problem to me so will prob leave it. Everything else is working just fine so thanks for all your help on it.
    Stitch:D

MadDev... the pc never gave a blue screen at all, this i mentioned in one of my previous post, thanks though for the tip, will keep the link for future reference

17. 2006/03/21
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

Hi, Stitch. Glad everything is stable again. USB2.0 doesn't get installed with SP2 (you get it out of the XP box), so it sounds like either your USB hardware is set to operate in 1.x mode in the BIOS, or there is something wrong in the driver. Of course one possibility is your PC doesn't have USB2.0 hardware, in which case a brain-dead USB driver might well give you problems as it tries to engage warp drive ;). It does sound like it might be worthwhile exploring why USB is giving you grief on your PC, though if the drastic drop in USB speed is not a problem to you I can see why you might want to avoid rocking the boat / starship.

18. 2006/03/21
    stitch

Hi Brummig
    The MB has usb2 on it but without the driver it stays as plain old usb, I dont think i have anything super duper to plug into a faster speed usb anyway so I'm not bothered, and yeah your right I dont want to rock the boat now its up and running, If at anytime it goes down again I might look into it but not now.
    Thanks for all your help guys:p
    Stitch

Ps I do know that when i have tried to install the driver from the motherboard disk it alwasy tells me i need to install sp2 to get it to work.

19. 2006/03/21
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

My own XPerience of installing SP2 was that it trashed Windows and stopped some apps (on two different PCs) from working. It took me weeks to sort out the mess. So given the choice between USB2.0 and not so much rocking the boat as taking a hatchet to it, I think my choice would be the same as yours.