1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

PC keeps rebooting itself

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by stitch, 2006/01/02.

1. 2006/01/31
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

Hmmm ... this has opened a can of worms. There appear to be at least two problems here, which may be related. Firstly there is some problem with USB on your PC. Can you check in the BIOS to see if it needs enabling? Secondly there appears to be a problem with your network interface (which I'm sure wont come as a massive surprise to you). Are the two in any way connected? If not, then I would agree with mattman and rockster2u regarding the next step.

2. 2006/01/31
    stitch

stitch Inactive Thread Starter

I went to the Asus web site and downloaded the latest drivers and updated them but again as soon as i clicked on the user accounts icon in control pannel it shut down. Im honestly not to bothered about the network connection at moment because i will be getting a router for that when i move in a couple of weeks, (not sure what kind i need yet though) but i would like to connect to the net on its own for now though and use my own pc, the modem i use at moment is a usb modem by tiscali, sagem f@st 800-840, the nic is built into the motherboard which is an asus A7V8X-X. I do have a seperate card i can put in if need be but i only use the one on the MB to connect the two pc's through the hub system.
    So if possible i would like to just forget the networking bit of it and just get it up and running on its own on the net.

This is the error report thatcame up after reinstalling the drivers from the asus site.
    I wonder would it be advisable to reinstall windows again and use the new drivers first rather than the ones off the disk that came witht the MB. and start again to see what happens. I still havent got round to activating xp yet and have only a couple of weeks left before i need to so reinstalling isnt a problem.
    Stitch

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: EventSystem
    Event Category: (50)
    Event ID: 4609
    Date: 31/01/2006
    Time: 13:35:19
    User: N/A
    Computer: MUMSPLACE
    Description:
    The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Time: 13:35:21
    Description:
    The General Purpose USB Driver (adildr.sys) service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1007
    Time: 13:35:03
    Description:
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 000EA604F41C. The IP address being used is 169.254.64.29.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/01/31
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

I understand what you're saying about LAN access, but we need to sort this one out:
    Since your web access is via a USB modem, I'm surprised it's working at all. Anyhow, please check you have USB enabled in the BIOS, or we wont be able to go any further.

Edit: You may find this of interest, stitch, mais il would help si vous parlez Franglais:

http://www.xpforum.co.uk/forum/archive.php/o_t__t_934__double-bootup-sorted-merry-christmas.html

Last edited: 2006/01/31
  5. 2006/01/31
    stitch

Iv gone into the bios and can only se two things relating to USB one is in the advanced tab usb legacey support enabled. and the other is again under the advanced tab but under pci configeration usb controller enabled, i cant see any other reference to usb in there.
    stitch

ps sorry i also started to read back on some of the replies on this post and going over some of the things, i reseated the processor checked the pins and such, cleaned the fans, all are running ok anyway but still did it, the caps and such all look straight and no foamy bits, bit of dust but that all, i reread also about updating the bios but this is someting ive never done and not really sure how, is it possible to mess it up so it dont work at all? thanks

Last edited: 2006/01/31
  6. 2006/01/31
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

Did you follow that link I gave you? I think it wise to work our way through those errors before anything else. BTW, do any of them conveniently co-incide in time with the moment when your PC reboots?

7. 2006/01/31
    stitch

Yeah all the error messages come up straight after a reboot, I looked at the link you put in Brummig, some of it made sence some didnt, tell me if im wrong but could this be to do with the modem, only problem there is it isnt plugged in at mometn because its plugged into this pc so i can get online, I have to go get the kids from school now but will be back in half hour, dont suppose you can talk over msn can you, the link is on my profile, not sure if that will make it any easier to talk through some things or not, can still post the answers and such here for others though.
    stitch

8. 2006/01/31
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

I think it boiled down to changing something in the registry. I suggest you try it.

I don't have a Messenger account, and in any case I think it best if the discussion is held here because I don't yet have an answer for you, which someone else may. Unless someone has a brainwave it's best to work on each error we know about and at the very least understand it and cross it off as unimportant, but preferably to fix it so there isn't something hanging around in the background waiting to make your PC fall over. If you want to work through them yourself with the aid of Google, that would save some time as you wont have to hang around waiting for me to stop what I'm doing ;) .

9. 2006/01/31
    stitch

HI Brummig
    Not sure how i change the registry, never done this before, is that part of the bios or windows, (i thought it was windows) because if it windows wouldnt it have corrected itself with the reinstall i did.
    Also not sure how i do the bios upgrade, or if i can make a mess of it.

As for google searching on the net for answers lol you are looking at the wrong person:D I cant find my home page half the time never mind anything else. For some reason the net just doesnt like me, i can sit for hours searching for something and someone else can take five minutes.

Each error message that comes up after a reboot is the same one as far as i can see.

Stitch

10. 2006/01/31
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

You edit the registry with regedit. Just select Start...Run, type regedit, and click OK. You'll get a window that looks and works like Explorer, and registry entries are written down just like directory (folder) entries in Explorer.

So, first up go and run it and use the tree control on the left to locate the relevant "folders" in that post. Stick to using the left mouse button to poke around the tree control for the moment; that way you're just looking, which is harmless. When you're ready to start editing, post back.

Regarding Google, perhaps now would be a good time to start. Often you can pick the part of the error message that seems specific to the error, copy it to Google, put double-quotes ( ") around it, and hit the search button. Then it's a case of ploughing through the results. Usually I stick to the first page or three of results, otherwise you'll be there forever. Then I start trying variations on what I searched on. As an example, one of my searches today went agitator - chemistry equipment - biology equipment - agitator biology - biology shaker - laboratory shaker - laboratory shaker UK. "agitator biology" told me the word I wanted was in fact "shaker ", and the last one got me what I was looking for.

I would leave the bios alone. Flashing the bios could leave you with a dead computer, and it needs to be kept in mind that this PC used to work with XP.

11. 2006/01/31
    stitch

Right Brummig, im in the registry and have trveled the path to this quote from your link,

[ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ADILOADER ]
    "Start "=dword:00000002

replace 00000002 by 00000003

Not sure how i change the values though
    Stitch

12. 2006/01/31
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

Having navigated your way successfully, in the right-hand pane of regedit right-click on the entry named Start, and select Modify from the menu; a small window will pop up. On the left of this window, half way down there's a box underneath the words "Value data" containing a number (presumably 2). Highlight the number, press 3, click on OK, and the job is done. Note that if you're not careful it's easy to change the wrong thing, cripple your PC, and never know what you did wrong, hence my taking you through this in two steps. From now on you wont need hand-holding when editing the registry, and you have a much greater ability to fix problems. Restart your PC and post back a list of the errors in the error log.

13. 2006/01/31
    stitch

Right all done, no problem there, then i went to the control pannel and clicked on user accounts and it shut down on me, I checked the event logs but there was no errors in any of the applications or system files,.
    Stitch

14. 2006/01/31
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

User Accounts? Why User Accounts? Very strange. Check that there are no scratches or marks on the Windows CD. The setup could be installing corrupt files.

I would install and test run Win 98 if you have a retail version. At least that will tell us if the problem is in the OS or with the hardware. If it was stable running Win 98 I would take the opportunity to do a BIOS upgrade. I think Asus only have "floppy" style BIOS upgrades, anyway if you try, use the floppy style upgrade, do not try to upgrade the BIOS through Windows or "online ".

If you did a floppy style BIOS upgrade (follow the instructions carefully) and it did happen to fail, the motherboard was probably faulty. Asus should replace it under warranty (it is still under warranty, right?).

Matt

15. 2006/02/01
    stitch

It was user accounts and security centre in control pannel mattman that it shut donw on that i found so far other than when i connected to the net direct. The xp disk used is the same disk (diff code) i used on this pc (childrens)and this one seems to be running ok, but i do have my old win98 cd, so i can give that a go if it would help to find the problem. Will give it a go when i get home from work tonight.

Shame trying to fix a pc isnt as easy as stripping a motorcycle down, I cant go wrong on that.
    stitch

edit.... ps does anyone know of a free connection dial up number pay as you go type thing, i was wondering about trying to connect to net on dial up to see if it still shuts down on me that way. i used to have a connectfree isp account but cant remember the number or password as it was years ago.

Last edited: 2006/02/01
  16. 2006/02/01
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

Stitch - could you post back the errors from the event viewer please?

I had thought of the install a different copy of Windows test too, but as I said in an earlier post, stitch's PC used to work with XP, so I think all it would prove is that is does or doesn't work with 98.

I do have a few suspicions as to what may be wrong, but we need to plough through those errors first. To put it in engine terms, I once had a car with a leaky water pump. I just kept it topped up until I had a free day in my diary to sort out the pump. Before I got to that day it started misfiring. When VW's misfire it means something serious is wrong, so I went in search of the misfire as a matter of urgency. Then one day the pump gave up altogether and my hand was forced. Fixing the pump cured the misfire. So let's fix the problems that are relatively well-defined first, and in doing so we might just solve the mystery problem. Even if we don't, we've sorted out other problems sitting waiting to trip you up later, so it's not wasted time. Just like working on an engine, you need to stay calm and not get side-tracked.

Regarding Pay As You Go dial-up, there are loads of companies out there. However, before long I'm likely to ask you to start stripping out the networking hardware from your PC, including the modem. I hadn't realised you had added quite so much hardware, so you may prefer to strip out everything you don't need to make a PC work, and re-install XP. That means no modems, sound cards, network cards, etc etc. It's a case of we can either remove things till it works, or add things until it breaks. It's your choice :) .

17. 2006/02/01
    stitch

Hi Brummig
    There is no hardware other than the graphics card in the pc, everything else is on the MB, when i mentioned dial up it was because i do have a spare modem card i can put in, the network is part of the MB to all built in,
    Stitch

There has been no errors on shut down since i changed the values in the registry from my last but one post.
    The errors that showed after each shutdown were alll the same and like i say have stopped, but its still shutting down,
    I just wondered if I added the modem and connected via dial up would it still shut down, was thinking of trying it to see.

18. 2006/02/01
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

That can of worms was suspiciously easy to sort out, but at least we're not getting errors any more.

It's a pain having all that non-essential hardware on the mobo as we can't remove it. Can you disable any of it from the BIOS? If so, please do, shut down the PC (switch it off) and power it up again, then let us know if it is still rebooting. If it is it may be advisable to then re-install XP so there aren't any drivers trying to talk to things that effectively no longer exist.

Also, could you tell us the make and model of the graphics card?

Edit: Since the mobo has so much integrated hardware, is there an integrated graphics adaptor too (one that you've replaced with a card)?

19. 2006/02/01
    stitch

Hi
    Right I have disabled the onboard LAN, Sound, Game port, there are 2 others which are disabled already, modem which i cant even see lol and one called MIDI I/O. Should i disable the usb.

My Graphics card is a Tornado TNT2 M64 W32mb

The pc is still shutting down though even after doing this and there are no errors coming up in the event logs.
    stitch

Edit..... right i reinstalled xp, and it let me into control panel/user accounts for first time. the security centre isnt there as iv not reinstalled sp2 yet. there is nothing but windows on it, in device manager the only thing with question mark against it is the usb controller.

20. 2006/02/01
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

So now you have re-installed XP is it no longer rebooting?

Edit: Please do not install SP2.

21. 2006/02/01
    stitch

HI Brummig

Nope no rebooting , iv been in and out of all in control pannel and nothing, Should i enable things one at a time on the bios again?
    Try installing modem?
    I would need to instal zonealarm and AVG with that to before trying to connect though.
    Stitch

Edit.... what about MB drivers, should i re install them