1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

PC keeps rebooting itself

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by stitch, 2006/01/02.

1. 2006/01/08
    stitch

stitch Inactive Thread Starter

HI
    Success at last with the boot disk, i couldnt see the config.sys file till i unchecked the box you mentioned in your last post Brummig, i have now re saves the AUTOEXC.BAT file and it is a .BAT file now not a txt one, i booted the pc and got the press any key to continue with the A:\ underneath and i am now leaving it to see what happens,
    I have replaced the Hdrive and other bits i took out to bring it down to the bare minimum, it is now as near as damit the same configuration as it was before, I'm sorry i couldnt bring myself to put my slave drive back in, iv lost everything once before and keeping it out of the loop is the only way i know how to keep everything on it, i havent another Hdd big enough to take all the data on it. so i gotta hope that it was never the problem.
    stitch

ps i will get back to you if it does reboot,
    Thanks guys

2. 2006/01/08
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

OK, I hadn't appreciated until today that you had the data drive (it's a good move to get your work files well away from the Windows structure, BTW). It's reasonable to assume it isn't the problem as Windows wont be making extensive use of it, though applications will make some use of it. Now let's wait and see if the foundations are stable ;).

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/01/09
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I've had a somewhat similar problem today. I tried a power supply that my friend gave me and said it was suspect. It boots to Windows, runs for 5 or 10 minutes then the motherboard shuts down.

The power supply is generic and quite new.

If your other tests don't prove to be the problem, try another PSU.

Matt

5. 2006/01/09
    Dcrypter

Dcrypter Inactive

The rebooting sounds very suspious. What mobo do you have? Try testing your RAM for errors. Also check your caps on your mobo. If they look bulged or if you see foam on them or the board. Also take a small straight edge (something small and straight) put it across the top of the cap if it rocks back and forth the caps are gone.

www.badcaps.net

6. 2006/01/09
    stitch

Hi Mattman
    I tried another psu and still got the same problem,

Brummig, Zander
    The pc has been running now for 24 hours and no shut donw whatso ever, its like its never happened. it still has the A:\ showing so will leave it a nother day i suppose, there is definatly nothing different inside the pc other than lack of secon data drive, the monitor, keyboard and mouse are different though and they are what i am using now on my childrens pc.

Stitch

7. 2006/01/10
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

I hope you will understand when I say a negative result doesn't prove the machine is healthy, but if the machine doesn't reboot, then when you are ready, do the following:

1) If you haven't already, let Zander's memory test run for several hours.

2) Use the Win98 startup disk to reformat all your partitions as FAT32, and run scandisk on each.

3) Dowload a copy of F-Prot for DOS, and check the disk for malware. Probably the best way to run this is from a CD-ROM using the (unmodified) Win98 boot disk, selecting the CD-ROM support option on boot.

4) Install XP. At this point you can switch your partitions to NTFS if you wish (recommended). Make sure you allow XP to thouroughly test each partition.

5) Download a copy of Everest and check the Storage...SMART section for errors. Also, take a look at the Computer...Sensor section and look for any problems, and keep the window open whilst you use the PC so you can monitor trends. My PC is working OK, so I don't know how or if it alerts you to these readings being wrong - perhaps someone else can tell us.

Please ask if you need any more flesh on these bones, and let us know how you get on.

8. 2006/01/10
    stitch

Hi Brummig
    The pc is still running 48 hours later, i will start on your list of suggestions tomorrow when im a bit brighter.
    Stitch

9. 2006/01/14
    stitch

HI,
    right the pc ran for a couple of days with the modified boot disk, no problems, i ran the memory diagnostic for 24 hours to and that came up ok, i am now going through the list you gave brummig will get backto you if i have any problems,
    Thanks
    stitch

10. 2006/01/15
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

Good luck!

11. 2006/01/15
    stitch

Hi Brummig
    I got to nomber 3 and have downloaded F-Prot for dos putting it on a cd-rom, i used the unmodified boot disk and selected start with cd support, but its not done anything i now have the A:\ prompt, did you mean to put win98 on first then use the F-Prot
    Thanks
    Stitch

12. 2006/01/15
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

When you select CD-ROM support you should see the screen display a whole load of messages, one of which will tell you which drive letter the CD-ROM drive is on. If you don't see it, guess! Typing dir c:\ should get you the hard disk contents (nothing). Next try dir d:\, then dir e:\, and so on until you see the F-PROT files listed. Let us say you find them on drive f:; at that point you would type f:\f-prot, and if you unzipped the files correctly F-PROT will then run. Take time to look through the options. Make sure you scan everything - files, boot sectors, the full monty. Just to be safe, turn on heuristics (if that is still an option on F-PROT). BTW, navigation around F-PROT is with the keyboard, but if I remember right it's pretty obvious stuff - arrow keys, Enter button, Esc button, and possibly the space bar to select something (it's a while since I last used it).

13. 2006/01/29
    stitch

HI Brummig
    Sorry, iv been away for a while and only just got backto the pc,

I went through your list and everything was ok, as far as i could see no problems, I have everest up and running and nothing changes when it shuts down, temperatures of drives, processor and MB dont change much 1 or 2 degrees only from start up to shut down.

I have the pc up and running most of the time and it seems fine, i can connect to the internet through this pc (the childrens pc) but only msn works at times, i cant get anything else on the net. It says its connected but nothing opens up, keeps saying "this page cannot be displayed" AVG keeps trying to connect to update but it says connection failed.

If i connect the pc direct to the net without the childrens pc then as soon as i open explorer or first click on something on the page it shuts down again and reboots. The modem (tiscali usb) works fine with the childrens pc so wasnt sure if it could be that or not.

There is still only windows, SP2, Zonealarm pro, AVG and msn on my pc as i wanted to keep it clear of everything that wasnt needed.

Any suggestions
    Thanks
    Stitch

14. 2006/01/29
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

stitch, that last post only mentions trouble connecting with the internet. Is it restarting any other time?

[Sorry if something has changed, I have not reread the whole thread...hey, a few weeks is a long time in Hardware Land :D ]

Matt

15. 2006/01/30
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

OK - it's beginning to sound like something in XP is wrong - a driver perhaps. I'll wait for your reply to mattman's post before saying more on this.

The problem with net access is clearly a different problem and therefore one for a different area of WindowsBBS. However, I will just say that a certain, less than wonderful ISP has just taken over my ISP, and the quality of service has fallen to match that of the company that took over. I'm seeing the same problems as you, so maybe we're on the same ISP :D .

16. 2006/01/30
    stitch

Hi Mattman
    No the pc can stay on for hours or days with no problems at all, i have had it connected to the net through my childrens pc but can only just to say get msn running, I cant get explorer open as it tells me it cant find the page or that the connection failed. (this i presume is the kind of connection im doing, its through om using a hub for now rather than router) If i connect to the net direct it shuts down as soon as i click on anything in explorer or msn. sometimes i dont even get the page fully open to click on anything.

When installing windows i have done nothing different to before or that what is on my childrens pc and that works fine (though slower grrrrr lol), i have reformatted and installed xp a couple of times to see if that would clear up the problem but it still keeps doing it. which is why i thought it hard ware. I will say the pc worked fine for the 18 months iv had it till a few weeks ago when it suddenly started shutting down, I had not installed anything on it in recent months as i was happy with everything as it was, so didnt think another program was to fault.
    Iv had everest up and running on it and nothing changes more than 1degree or so in temperature when it shuts down.
    Stitch

17. 2006/01/30
    stitch

Hi All
    Right just to back track a bit, i thought the pc was shutting own only when i tried to get onto the net but it isnt, i decided to have a play around in some of the other files, just clicking on them and opening, no changes or anything, when i went into control pannel it shut down on the user accounts and security centre icons if i tried to open them. not sure if that means anything, my second drive that has my files on works ok, iv been in and out of them all but nothing happens.
    Stitch

18. 2006/01/30
    Brummig

Brummig Inactive

Could you please take a poke around Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer and let us know of any Warnings or Errors.

19. 2006/01/30
    stitch

This is what came up in the Application and System part of Event Viewer.
    I had a look first and as there wasnt anything since about the time it last shut down i went into user accounts just to make sure it did shut down and then back into even viewer and yes it came up with the latest error, which is repeated throughout the night as and when i went into user accounts or security centre.
    I dont know what they mean though sorry
    Stitch

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: EventSystem
    Event Category: (50)
    Event ID: 4609
    Date: 30/01/2006
    Time: 23:41:47
    User: N/A
    Computer: MUMSPLACE
    Description:
    The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Time: 21:52:41
    Description:
    The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Time: 19:36:46
    Description:

Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Time: 19:36:43
    Description:
    The General Purpose USB Driver (adildr.sys) service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event ID: 1007
    Time: 19:36:28
    Description:
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 000EA604F41C. The IP address being used is 169.254.64.29.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

Time: 23:41:45
    Description:
    The General Purpose USB Driver (adildr.sys) service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Time: 23:41:28
    Description:
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 000EA604F41C. The IP address being used is 169.254.64.29.

Data:

Event Source: MRxSmb
    Event ID: 3019
    Time: 22:05:23
    Description:
    The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 cb 0b 00 80 ....Ë..€
    0010: 00 00 00 00 84 01 00 c0 ....„..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Time: 21:52:39
    Description:

Time: 21:52:21
    Description:

Data:

20. 2006/01/30
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Are you using a DLink NIC? Be it yes or no, have you considered disabling your current NIC and installing a new one - do you have a friend you can borrow a PCI NIC card from?

;)

21. 2006/01/30
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

If it is a built-in NIC, look for updated ethernet drivers at the motherboard's website.
    Windows may have installed "standard" drivers for the NIC (ethernet adapter), whereas you need to run the drivers that came on the motherboard driver disk or from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

If it happens to be a PCI NIC card, try installing it into a different PCI slot.

Matt