1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Partitioning a 500GB HD?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by chas berlin, 2008/06/28.

1. 2008/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Most certainly - IMO it is beneficial for the reason I noted earlier - fragmentation.
    Sounds good, but I would also have another partition for daily data, say 10 -15 Gb and move My Documents, Outlook Express Message store (if you use OE), Address Book, Favourites to that partition for ease of backup on a regular basis. If you need help to do this just post when the time comes.

2. 2008/07/06
    chas berlin

chas berlin Inactive Thread Starter

Will follow your advice, and definitely be needing some help. Don't have a clue on setting up fixed pagefiles.
    Will probably pick up the conversation on Tues (your Wed). :)
    Pete, this is really appreciated!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/07/09
    chas berlin

I use Yahoo, so nothing is on my HD, so I'm not sure what I'd put in this other partition, but I don't want to miss anything either, since you're familiar w/ type of configuration and I'm not. I'm thinking of doing a 10 GB as you've suggested, though I'm somewhat at a loss for what will go in there. I very occasionally have a doc, which is done in Word. Would it be easier, for backups, to have My Docs in this partition? :confused:
    Also, when you refer to Favourites, is this something other than the Favourites in my browser?

5. 2008/07/09
    chas berlin

Just noticed this.
    So Acronis is not doing backups, which is why you use another backup program?

6. 2008/07/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Yes - it is far easier for backup purposes to have all the personal data you want to backup in a separate partition - excluding your music and photos for which you have other partitions - it is then just a case of backing up that partition. I have already pointed out that any data saved on the OS drive would be lost if that drive had to be formatted to reinstall the OS.
    Yes.
    Acronis is imaging software - there is no other way to backup an operating system than to image. I guess you could use it to image your data drive too, but that would be less convenient, for me at least, than using my current backup software. Acronis puts all the info into a single image file - it is possible to view the contents, but it is a long winded process. The backup software I use replicates the directory/file structure as seen on the source drive on the backup drive.

7. 2008/07/12
    chas berlin

When you referred to Favourites what did you mean? I'm unfamiliar.

Going to set the drives up today. When I make the partitions do I make one partition at a time (when formatting), or set up all partitions simultaneously? The MS sight's info was not clear to me.

Do I also partition the backup drive? :confused::confused::confused:

8. 2008/07/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I see I misled you on the last post - Internet Explorer Favourites.
    I would boot from the XP CD, set up a partition for Windows of whatever size you decided upon, format and install. When XP is up and running and you have installed antivirus and firewall and then updated XP - get the priority jobs done first so that you don't forget :) then go to Disk Management and setup the other partitions you require in the unallocated space.
    I have not partitioned my backup drive, there is no OS on the drive - I have a folder for each of the partitions I back up. As the drive is already formatted you would need to delete the partition and start over in Disk Management.

9. 2008/07/12
    chas berlin

Thx for the quick reply Pete.
    Where do I find Disk Management?

So there is a folder for the OS image?
    I'm struggling to keep up here. :confused:

I need some more explanation here. :confused:

10. 2008/07/12
    chas berlin

Can you tell me something on how to do this?

11. 2008/07/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Right click My Computer icon > Manage > Disk Management.
    Yes. You posted either here or in another thread that you would only need to image the drive very occasionally - that is not strictly true. My weekly incremental image reflects 3 Gb of changes to the OS in a week. At the very least you should image after each Patch Tuesday when you have installed all the relevant updates.
    That comment was based on a purchased external drive which would be formatted into a single partition, which cannot be split into several other partitions using Windows - you would need to use third party partitioning software or delete the partition and start over using Windows.

If you are using your 'free' 750 Gb drive in a purchased enclosure you have the option when first formatting - use Disk Management.
    To set up a fixed pagefile right click My Computer icon > Properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change ....

Highlight the OS drive - check Custom Size and enter the same value (1.5x installed RAM) in the Max and Min boxes > Set and OK out. A reboot will be necessary.

While you are in that neck of the woods go to Startup and Recovery on the first Advanced tab > Settings and under System Failure uncheck Automatically restart.

It's Saturday afternoon here and I have work to do in the garden and may well go out so don#t expect anymore instant replies :)

Also note that I am out all day Sunday with my photographer's hat on.

12. 2008/07/12
    chas berlin

Then no more questions for now.
    Enjoy your day Pete! :)

13. 2008/07/12
    chas berlin

Do you recommend partitions on the backup drive?

14. 2008/07/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

No - there is no need and no advantage. Just make a series of folders along the lines of .....

Data (D)
    Music (E)
    Photos (F) .....

where (D), etc is the drive letter of the partition on the internal drive for reference purposes.

15. 2008/07/12
    chas berlin

Gotcha.
    Thx Pete.

Last edited: 2008/07/12
  16. 2008/07/12
    chas berlin

Pete, I tried this on the internal HD and I kept getting the message, "enter a numeric value for the initial page file size ". I'd entered, "4.5" in both "Initial Size" and "Maximum Size ", but it wouldn't take. I have 3 GB's RAM. Did you only want this done to the external HD? If so, I don't follow since it would seem logical to utilise this on the internal (primary HD). I'll work on the external after I've finished the internal.

Did it.

Last edited: 2008/07/13
  17. 2008/07/13
    chas berlin

I'm not clear on where you are saying the programs should go. I can't locate the post, but I believe they were to go in the OS partition, no?
    I now have:
    25 GB Partition - OS (Basic - 3 GB used) I forgot to name this OS, so it's just C: How can I add the OS name?
    300 GB - Music (Basic - 1 % used)
    Will do:
    300 GB - Photos
    15 GB - My Docs
    And that leaves a balance of roughly 50.4 GB
    Would you suggest I make a final partition of this size?
    In the New Partition Wizard it says four primary partitions can be created or three primary and an extended partition. Not sure how to proceed.

18. 2008/07/13
    chas berlin

Just looked at your attachment, and you have so many partitions. I don't get it.
    I see you have a partition for ea program. I thought Windows limits the amount of partitions? :confused:
    Would you explain?

19. 2008/07/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Chas, it clearly states (Mb) against each entry for Max & Min - enter 4500 in both.
    On the C:\ drive - they will load to Program Files.
    Right click on the drive in Windows Explorer > Properties and type a name in the box.
    How far have you got? If it's just a couple of partitions - OS, Music then .....

In Disk Management right click in the Unallocated space > New Partition > Extended partition and accept the max value shown.

Right click in the extended partition > New Logical Drive > select size in Mb and follow the wizard througt - Quick format is fine. Repeat again in the remaining Extended partition and create another logical drive ....

Might as well use the last 50 Gb as a spare partition.

If you have gone further than above make the final 50 Gb an extended partition and create a logical drive equal to the max space.
    All programs are installed on C:\ - those partition names which refer to a program contain data relating to e.g. Photoshop.

The number of partitions is limited only by the number of letters in the (English) alphabet :)
    As I have posted before that is the way I like to separate out my data - it is a personal thing - a series of folders would suffice.

20. 2008/07/13
    chas berlin

Oooops! Did I mention I enjoy eating humble pie? :eek::eek::eek:

Yes, only 2 letters so far. I didn't want to chance mucking up the entire thing.

Hey, at least I can count.
    Actually that may not be obvious from my previous error. :eek:

After looking at your attachments again it all makes sense, which is why I decided to wait for your help. It seems like a very logical layout.
    And quite frankly I'm SO GLAD you kept up on this 'til I finally got the concept.
    I now can not understand why manufacturers and such would load the OS in w/ everything else. Partitioning it off is the only logical conclusion, as I now see it.

21. 2008/07/15
    chas berlin

Pete, Thx a ton!
    The partitioning went well. The old HD was totally dead, so no data retrieved. I did have quite a bit of my data on a frined's drive, and have reinstalled that, so I was able to get most of what I lost back. REALLY fortunate there, no?
    All in all it went really well. The kinks have been w/ internet connection and software downloads that worked on a Vista computer but not on my XP Pro, go figure! I'll start a thread under General Internet about the problem called "Can't get online ". Oh, and one more kink. My monitor burned out today. :(
    Thx again Pete! :)